News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 15, 2021, 01:05:00 AM
Interstates should be able to have Service Plazas and be tolled.

Interstate standards should either be relaxed slightly or we should de interstate tons of roads.

At least locally in California things like soft interior and narrow shoulders is a primary driver of why certain freeways don't meet Interstate standards. 

bing101

Roadgeekteen

Road Atlases are almost obsolete now with google and GPS.

Quote from: bing101 on May 15, 2021, 10:27:18 AM
Bring back button copy signs.
Not unpopular
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 07:15:30 PM

It's a lot easier to check a route when you're driving alone with an atlas open to the correct page on the passenger seat than it is fishing your phone out of your pocket, unlocking it, hoping some stupid BS notification doesn't pop up, scrolling around and trying to zoom in with one hand on the wheel, etc.

Quote from: bing101 on May 15, 2021, 10:27:18 AM
Bring back button copy signs.
Not unpopular

Most of my nostalgia for the button copy era is not so much because of the button copy itself (OkDOT used button copy and reflective sheeting at the same time, which is as bad as it sounds) but because back then OkDOT signage was actually good.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

The atlas can be useful for seeing the big picture, but it's useless for finding specific businesses/hotels/addresses.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2021, 08:29:18 PM
That's not what you use it for.
Most people barely look at the map. They just plug in their destination to the GPS and go.

ran4sh

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 08:26:39 PM
The atlas can be useful for seeing the big picture, but it's useless for finding specific businesses/hotels/addresses.

The point was that, when you reach the city where you're looking for an address, places such as gas stations and welcome centers would have city street maps with an index, which is what you would use to find a specific street.

Also, most major establishments actually gave directions for how to reach them from major routes. And if you were visiting a friend's house or something like that, you would ask them for directions.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 08:55:21 PM
Most people barely look at the map. They just plug in their destination to the GPS and go.

I understand that you're just a kid, but if you believe that there are no problems with that method (compared to before GPS), then you may be part of the problem.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ran4sh on May 16, 2021, 09:37:21 PM

The point was that, when you reach the city where you're looking for an address, places such as gas stations and welcome centers would have city street maps with an index, which is what you would use to find a specific street.

Also, most major establishments actually gave directions for how to reach them from major routes. And if you were visiting a friend's house or something like that, you would ask them for directions.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 16, 2021, 08:55:21 PM

I understand that you're just a kid, but if you believe that there are no problems with that method (compared to before GPS), then you may be part of the problem.
I do remember seeing brochures for establishments with directions from nearby major cities.

kphoger

Agreed.  Neither one is useless.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

I-39

A lot of midwest states have too many freeway or near freeway roads for the population they serve.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: I-39 on May 18, 2021, 04:01:45 PM
A lot of midwest states have too many freeway or near freeway roads for the population they serve.
Youngstown Ohio being an example.

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 03:58:02 PM

Agreed.  Neither one is useless.
What is useless?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 18, 2021, 04:57:05 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 18, 2021, 04:33:57 PM
What is useless?

Men's nipples.
No, relating to the atlas. As in:
QuoteAgreed.  Neither one is useless.

kphoger

Neither one is useless.

What is useless?

Huh?

I wasn't saying anything was useless.  I was saying that both atlases and Google/GPS are useful.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on May 19, 2021, 12:22:18 PM

Neither one is useless.

What is useless?

Huh?

I wasn't saying anything was useless.  I was saying that both atlases and Google/GPS are useful.
Oh

SkyPesos

Here's one typed while I'm on northbound I-26 in NC, I mean WB, right now.

Like US routes, Interstates should be allowed to have a N-S cardinal direction signed for an even number route, or vice versa, in a state if it's clearly aligned that way. This includes I-26 in NC and TN, I-95 in CT, I-94 in IL, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 12, 2021, 12:46:25 PM

Like US routes, Interstates should be allowed to have a N-S cardinal direction signed for an even number route, or vice versa, in a state if it's clearly aligned that way. This includes I-26 in NC and TN, I-95 in CT, I-94 in IL, and probably some others I'm forgetting.
Part of I-69 in Michigan is signed east-west I think.

JoePCool14

No, I think that's a terrible idea. After a while, you just get used to understanding which way is which. I live North of Chicago, and we've all become accustomed to east corresponding to inbound, west as corresponding to outbound (or to Milwaukee).

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

vdeane

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 12, 2021, 06:19:35 PM

No, I think that's a terrible idea. After a while, you just get used to understanding which way is which. I live North of Chicago, and we've all become accustomed to east corresponding to inbound, west as corresponding to outbound (or to Milwaukee).
Given that the reason I've heard as to why I-41 has that pointless overlap with I-94 is so WI can sign an interstate with a north-south banner on that corridor, it might not be as bad an idea as one would think.  While we don't want things to swap willy-nilly with seemingly every curve, there are places where an interstate spends large amounts of time oriented perpendicular to its signed directions - sometimes through entire states (such as the already mentioned I-26 in NC and TN, or I-95 in CT).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

crispy93

I don't miss diagrammatical signs but I do miss the old way of signing option lanes like [regular white down arrow] [exit only arrow]. APLs are huge and don't work everywhere. NYSDOT has replaced those types of signs with a single EXIT ONLY arrow and unless you notice the dinky supplemental signage, you're led to assume it's a one-lane exit. Like recently I saw someone trying to get on 278 West from the Grand Central Parkway and there was no indication that it's a two-lane exit so he slowed to almost a stop to get into the right-most lane. I don't blame him.

If you stop in a traffic circle, you should be automatically at fault if someone rear-ends you. Unless you can blatantly prove that the other driver cut you off, the rear-ender is almost always at fault.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

TXtoNJ

Signing cardinal directions is generally more trouble than it's worth, and any navigational benefit would be exceeded by a more thoughtful implementation of control cities.

SkyPesos

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 14, 2021, 11:11:30 AM
Signing cardinal directions is generally more trouble than it's worth, and any navigational benefit would be exceeded by a more thoughtful implementation of control cities.
If only ISTHA uses Milwaukee instead of Wisconsin for NB, I mean WB, I-94, that would be more useful. I-90 also goes to Wisconsin from Chicago, in a different direction.

Bickendan

We should use the international speed limit signs - the red bordered white circle with just the number in it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Bickendan on June 15, 2021, 06:28:28 AM
We should use the international speed limit signs - the red bordered white circle with just the number in it.
Does that require switching to the metric system or not? As much as I like a switch, the US in general seems too lazy to do so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.