News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe780

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 21, 2015, 05:30:25 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 21, 2015, 12:27:33 AM
There are 'middle-burner' proposals to extend the CTA Blue Line that way to at least the Woodfield area and there is provision for such an extension in the line's O'Hare terminal.

Mike

The Elgin O'Hare is supposed to be built - rebuilt for the existing sections - with provisions for a future transit line down the middle as well.

I'm under the impression that there were 2 plans on doing this.

Blue line running through 90 west to get to Woodfield

or

Blue line running through thorndale/elgin o'hare west then turning north to get to Woodfield.

thenetwork

There are 'middle-burner' proposals to extend the CTA Blue Line that way to at least the Woodfield area and there is provision for such an extension in the line's O'Hare terminal.

Mike

There have been recent attempts to move the blue line west past O'Hare, but they don't get too far:

https://youtu.be/elMXt00xyIU

Sorry, I couldn't resist.    :rofl:

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: thenetwork on May 22, 2015, 12:22:37 PM

Mike

There have been recent attempts to move the blue line west past O'Hare, but they don't get too far:

https://youtu.be/elMXt00xyIU

Sorry, I couldn't resist.    :rofl:

That reminds me of the ending scene from the movie "Silver Streak".  The crash at the ending movie was set in Chicago but was filmed in Toronto.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e526IbNlQ98

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 21, 2015, 05:30:25 PM

Mike

The Elgin O'Hare is supposed to be built - rebuilt for the existing sections - with provisions for a future transit line down the middle as well.
Are you sure? I remember the Metra STAR is supposed to be along I-90 from about Elgin to O'Hare.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Rick Powell

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 24, 2015, 03:07:01 PM
Are you sure? I remember the Metra STAR is supposed to be along I-90 from about Elgin to O'Hare.

The STAR line is about as dormant as any other project in the area.  The current thinking is to allow express bus service on I-90 in the near term, and if the STAR concept ever proves feasible, it could be done via lane conversion.  I would estimate, "not in our lifetime" at this point.

I-39

Quote from: Rick Powell on May 24, 2015, 04:01:46 PM
I would estimate, "not in our lifetime" at this point.

Which is basically a less pessimistic way of saying it will never happen.

hobsini2

Oh I can see the Joliet to Elgin part of the STAR happening soon. At the very least, as a connector spur in small segments to other lines to start especially in the Naperville/Aurora area along the EJ&E line. Think along the terms of the McHenry Connector to Crystal Lake.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 24, 2015, 05:16:29 PM
Oh I can see the Joliet to Elgin part of the STAR happening soon. At the very least, as a connector spur in small segments to other lines to start especially in the Naperville/Aurora area along the EJ&E line. Think along the terms of the McHenry Connector to Crystal Lake.

Won't happen. Canadian National Railway won't allow Metra service. I posted on this in the transit section a while back.

hobsini2

Do you have the link for that? The CN is dumb if they don't take the subsidy they would get for Metra using their lines.

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 25, 2015, 12:41:03 PM
Do you have the link for that? The CN is dumb if they don't take the subsidy they would get for Metra using their lines.

The CN pulls the same stunt on the Heritage Corridor line between Union Station Chicago and Union Station Joliet.  Metra had to pull teeth to even get three inbound trains in the morning, and three outbound trains in the afternoon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

I-39

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14715.0

I should clarify that I posted about wishing the STAR line would be built, and someone else posted about the Canadian National Railway not allowing it.

I don't think any train service was planned for IL-390, just a future widening from four to six lanes with a wide inside shoulder for buses.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2015, 01:39:29 PM

I should clarify that I posted about wishing the STAR line would be built, and someone else posted about the Canadian National Railway not allowing it.

I don't think any train service was planned for IL-390, just a future widening from four to six lanes with a wide inside shoulder for buses.

I would rather take a blue line that goes to Woodfield (and maybe farther west to Hoffman estates, Elgin, etc.) than the STAR line which is now impossible.

If the blue line started at say, 59 and 90, and went all the way to o'hare and downtown do you have any idea how much friggen traffic will be taken off the roads?

Stratuscaster

As much as would be added to other roads for folks getting to the Park & Ride at 59 & 90? ;)

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on May 25, 2015, 02:09:34 PM

I would rather take a blue line that goes to Woodfield (and maybe farther west to Hoffman estates, Elgin, etc.) than the STAR line which is now impossible.

If the blue line started at say, 59 and 90, and went all the way to o'hare and downtown do you have any idea how much friggen traffic will be taken off the roads?

Not much, if any.  It's nice to have mass transit, but if it stops over a mile from your office with no other way to get there, it's useless.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

I-39

So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

I wonder why the Elgin part wasn't constructed initially in 1993, was there opposition to that segment as well?

Stratuscaster

I think it was more the fact that there was no funding at the time to build it.

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2015, 07:00:23 PM

Not much, if any.  It's nice to have mass transit, but if it stops over a mile from your office with no other way to get there, it's useless.

I imagine a good chunk of people are on 90 going to woodfield, ohare of going downtown. However this "blue line" is just a dream. I'm just happy they're rebuilding 90 to include proper entrance/exits. Should take a huge amount of traffic off local roads like Alqonquin, Higgins, Golf, etc.

As far as Elgin O'hare, Idot owns all the land westward. Who knows when or if they expand it westwards. Hopefully soon, areas west of Randall are developing fast and it's leading to a large amount of traffic on Lake street.

hobsini2

Quote from: johndoe780 on May 26, 2015, 11:59:12 AM
Quote from: Brandon on May 25, 2015, 07:00:23 PM

I imagine a good chunk of people are on 90 going to woodfield, ohare of going downtown. However this "blue line" is just a dream. I'm just happy they're rebuilding 90 to include proper entrance/exits. Should take a huge amount of traffic off local roads like Alqonquin, Higgins, Golf, etc.

As far as Elgin O'hare, Idot owns all the land westward. Who knows when or if they expand it westwards. Hopefully soon, areas west of Randall are developing fast and it's leading to a large amount of traffic on Lake street.
Also, keep in mind that there is already an existing Metra line to go Downtown from Elgin. I would like to see the numbers on that line first before thinking of extending the Blue Line to Elgin.

Quimby

The Jane Addams reconstruction project will include new park and ride stations at Randall Rd, Rte 25, and Barrington Rd with express Pace bus routes running along the I-90 shoulder from Randall Rd to the Woodfield area and the River Rd blue line station.   

http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/jane-addams-memorial-tollway-i-90/i-90-corridor-overview

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/f67d3910-789e-4c5a-8f90-f3be553b66eb

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/d21d67b7-7539-42e5-bb78-69e27a406db4

This should be functionally comparable to a Blue Line extension along I-90 all the way to Randall Rd.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Quimby on May 27, 2015, 11:44:57 AM

The Jane Addams reconstruction project will include new park and ride stations at Randall Rd, Rte 25, and Barrington Rd with express Pace bus routes running along the I-90 shoulder from Randall Rd to the Woodfield area and the River Rd blue line station.   

http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/jane-addams-memorial-tollway-i-90/i-90-corridor-overview

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/f67d3910-789e-4c5a-8f90-f3be553b66eb

http://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/10157/d21d67b7-7539-42e5-bb78-69e27a406db4

This should be functionally comparable to a Blue Line extension along I-90 all the way to Randall Rd.

Getting back on track, I'm not too sure the traffic count west of Irving Park Road, but wouldn't it make sense to widen the entire existing stretch out to Lake Street (US Route 20)?

Stratuscaster

Not until it goes past US 20. The traffic counts drop quite a bit after IL-19 and Gary Ave, last I checked.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on May 25, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
So getting back to the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway, do you think the western loop around Ontarioville to North Avenue is necessary, and do you think it will ever be built?

I wonder why the Elgin part wasn't constructed initially in 1993, was there opposition to that segment as well?

I really wish ITHSA would get their shit together and push it towards Elgin already, especially since they already own most of the ROW. Being in Bartlett, Brewster creek business park is booming and with that a ton of truck traffic is being brought in through local roads. I would want Elgin O'hare to expand westward for this reason alone: this business park!

Desert Man

I looked at a map of the tollway (Illinois Tollway's web site) and stare route 390 is not long. And reading the thread, the tollway is incomplete at this time. Elgin is a city in both Cook and Kane counties, both served by county seats Chicago (the US' 3rd largest city) and Aurora (IL's 2nd largest in population). Kane county with Aurora as its hub has grown alot over half a century. It should need more highways, be it "free" way or "toll" way. I noticed there's no North-South freeway from Elgin connecting with I-90 down to Aurora connecting with I-88.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

johndoe780

Quote from: Mike D boy on June 18, 2015, 10:03:55 PM
I looked at a map of the tollway (Illinois Tollway's web site) and stare route 390 is not long. And reading the thread, the tollway is incomplete at this time. Elgin is a city in both Cook and Kane counties, both served by county seats Chicago (the US' 3rd largest city) and Aurora (IL's 2nd largest in population). Kane county with Aurora as its hub has grown alot over half a century. It should need more highways, be it "free" way or "toll" way. I noticed there's no North-South freeway from Elgin connecting with I-90 down to Aurora connecting with I-88.

You can thank the NIBY'ers for that.

Google Fox Valley freeway.

Granted, it wouldn't go through either Elgin or Aurora, it would be right next door.

However, you can get from Elgin to Aurora decently quick on Randall Road. From 90 to the end of Randall would take almost 35-40 minutes.

Brandon

Quote from: Mike D boy on June 18, 2015, 10:03:55 PM

Aurora is not a county seat, and is served by county seats in Geneva (Kane), Yorkville (Kendall), Wheaton (DuPage), and Joliet (Will).  Of the four major satellite cities, only Joliet and Waukegan (Lake) are county seats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.