News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 17, 2016, 03:19:59 PM
Does anyone think the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway will be underutilized until the West O'Hare Bypass is completed? I suspect it might be.

The new EOH route (east of I-290/IL53) is going to provide access to O'Hare for the market primarily west of I-355/IL53.  People who want to avoid 294 can take 355 up to the EOH instead to get to the west side of the airport.  I'm from the 'burbs west of there, and I've never had a problem taking 294 to the airport.  So would I use the new highway?  Probably, though I don't see a need to improve on the current state of that situation.  Though the suburban commuters are so underserved by expressways that I'm sure that in the morning, they're going to use the EOH east to the Bypass, then either cut north to 90 east or south to 290 east into the city.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Revive 755

Does anyone think the Elgin-O'Hare Tollway will be underutilized until the West O'Hare Bypass is completed? I suspect it might be.

I suspect it may be and remain underutilized after the Western Bypass is completed, unless I-290 is tolled.

I also suspect there will be a decent increase in traffic counts on Nerge Road and US 20 come July when the tolls on IL 390 start, and an increase on Devon Avenue as IL 390 progresses eastward.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 18, 2016, 05:36:22 PM

I suspect it may be and remain underutilized after the Western Bypass is completed, unless I-290 is tolled.

I also suspect there will be a decent increase in traffic counts on Nerge Road and US 20 come July when the tolls on IL 390 start, and an increase on Devon Avenue as IL 390 progresses eastward.

Why would they toll I-290?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on February 19, 2016, 01:43:04 PM

To pay for the widening and maybe down the road a rerouting of it over the EOE with a link back to I-90

johndoe780

IDOT's already looking into expanding EOE westward and fixing the ****hole between shales parkway and north ave.

Here's the presentation given earlier this week.

http://www.village.bartlett.il.us/home/showdocument?id=2162

Anyone know the progress on the study IDOT is doing on US 20 in Elgin? That highway is completely out of date with modern highway code.

The Ghostbuster

I'd only support tolling 290 if they were HOT Lanes. But I doubt 290 will have those anytime soon, if ever.

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 19, 2016, 04:11:56 PM
IDOT's already looking into expanding EOE westward and fixing the ****hole between shales parkway and north ave.

Anyone know the progress on the study IDOT is doing on US 20 in Elgin? That highway is completely out of date with modern highway code.

This is interesting. At long last, they are studying badly-needed improvements to US 20 between Randall Road and the future IL-390 western extension, as well as the western extension itself. Even if the IL-390 west extension is built as an arterial, it will be better than nothing.

It's just too bad that knowing IDOT, this will remain a concept on the drawing board and we won't see any construction for decades (if ever).

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 19, 2016, 03:01:35 PM

To pay for the widening and maybe down the road a rerouting of it over the EOE with a link back to I-90

I personally would be surprised if I-290 was tolled, considering it is the only free route left in the western suburbs. However, you never know. They are going to have to address the I-90/290/IL-53 interchange sometime within the next decade.

And I-290 will never be re-routed over the EOWA, that's just some roadgeek speculation.

Revive 755

Though I threw it out as a theoretical case, I have heard rumors that ISTHA wants I-290 since it allows many to bypass at least parts of their tollways. I also think it may have been briefly tossed around as a funding option for the EOE, but got dismissed early on - would have to double check the EIS's on this one.

Revive 755

Looks more like a partial extension as an arterial and widening of US 20.  The slides show the extension of IL 390 having signalized intersections at County Farm Road (sure to work well in rush hour and probably become a high crash location), a signalized intersection at North Avenue (boy I wish someone would either rename that road or change the name of the road IL 64 uses),  and a signalized intersection where WB IL 390 traffic would have to make a left turn onto US 20 to continue westward (sure to be bottleneck WB, EB would likely have issues since it appears there would not be a dedicated right turn lane from EB US 20 to the IL 390 extension).

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 19, 2016, 04:11:56 PMAnyone know the progress on the study IDOT is doing on US 20 in Elgin? That highway is completely out of date with modern highway code.

Per the study website,, and more specifically, the second CAG meeting it does not look like there will be much done to the Elgin Bypass beyond a few safety improvements.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 19, 2016, 09:12:57 PM

Though I threw it out as a theoretical case, I have heard rumors that ISTHA wants I-290 since it allows many to bypass at least parts of their tollways. I also think it may have been briefly tossed around as a funding option for the EOE, but got dismissed early on - would have to double check the EIS's on this one.

Yes, it was in the council report, which is available on the tollway website. However, I don't think it should happen, unless they turn it into a northern extension of I-355 and extend it up the IL-53/120 corridor.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 19, 2016, 09:34:15 PM

Looks more like a partial extension as an arterial and widening of US 20.  The slides show the extension of IL 390 having signalized intersections at County Farm Road (sure to work well in rush hour and probably become a high crash location), a signalized intersection at North Avenue (boy I wish someone would either rename that road or change the name of the road IL 64 uses),  and a signalized intersection where WB IL 390 traffic would have to make a left turn onto US 20 to continue westward (sure to be bottleneck WB, EB would likely have issues since it appears there would not be a dedicated right turn lane from EB US 20 to the IL 390 extension).

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 19, 2016, 04:11:56 PMAnyone know the progress on the study IDOT is doing on US 20 in Elgin? That highway is completely out of date with modern highway code.

Per the study website,, and more specifically, the second CAG meeting it does not look like there will be much done to the Elgin Bypass beyond a few safety improvements.

Yeah, they should stick with the original plans and put an interchange at County Farm Road, then transition it to an arterial west of that point.

They also should combine the US 20 Elgin Byass and US 20 study from Shales Parkway to IL-390 together.

I believe the US 20 Elgin bypass needs MAJOR upgrades and reconstruction. They need to reconfigure almost all the interchanges, add a third lane and shoulders and rebuild the Fox River bridge. I don't see why IDOT doesn't feel the same way.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: I-39 on February 20, 2016, 11:39:55 AM

Yeah, they should stick with the original plans and put an interchange at County Farm Road, then transition it to an arterial west of that point.

They also should combine the US 20 Elgin Byass and US 20 study from Shales Parkway to IL-390 together.

I believe the US 20 Elgin bypass needs MAJOR upgrades and reconstruction. They need to reconfigure almost all the interchanges, add a third lane and shoulders and rebuild the Fox River bridge. I don't see why IDOT doesn't feel the same way.

Let the tollway take over all of and then you see some good ideas.

quickshade

I'm sure IDOT knows this, but question is more about priority and funding. Seems to be a repeated topic and trend when we mention IDOT.

paulthemapguy

To sum up the last three posts above, yeah.  IDOT seems to want to develop new expressways like I-72 and IL336, but the freeways in District 1 are left to rot.  I think it's because IDOT wants to leave all new expressway development in the Chicago area to the ISTHA, because they have money and IDOT doesn't.  That's why we have tollway infrastructure that's downright immaculate, while IDOT's district 1 stuff, relatively speaking, is left to rot.

johndoe780

Quote from: quickshade on February 20, 2016, 02:15:31 PM
I'm sure IDOT knows this, but question is more about priority and funding. Seems to be a repeated topic and trend when we mention IDOT.

Rauner already sold ~500 million of bonds. We still don't know where that's going yet.

Don't rule out a 5-10 cent increase in gas tax yet. I'm willing to bet it's going to go up as oil prices are going to be low for the next decade.

quickshade

Quote from: johndoe780 on February 20, 2016, 04:19:27 PM
Quote from: quickshade on February 20, 2016, 02:15:31 PM

Rauner already sold ~500 million of bonds. We still don't know where that's going yet.

Don't rule out a 5-10 cent increase in gas tax yet. I'm willing to bet it's going to go up as oil prices are going to be low for the next decade.

I have no doubt something will happen to increase funding into our road system, but not before we get a budget and some other things fixed up first, which as we all know is still at a stalemate.

Revive 755

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 20, 2016, 02:48:12 PM
To sum up the last three posts above, yeah.  IDOT seems to want to develop new expressways like I-72 and IL336, but the freeways in District 1 are left to rot.  I think it's because IDOT wants to leave all new expressway development in the Chicago area to the ISTHA, because they have money and IDOT doesn't.

The Illiana was most likely not going to be an ISTHA facility.  Otherwise there isn't much freeway development going on in Chicagoland, since most of the newer proposals for the outskirts keep dying, and other than the EOE, there doesn't not seem to be the willpower to build much else further in.

(I could have listed the IL 53 extension with the EOE, but I have doubts on the willpower for actually getting it built.)

bschultzy

There's no need to rename North Ave. in Bartlett. I grew up in that immediate area. Nobody confuses IL 64 and Bartlett's street.

I-39

If it were up to me, I'd stick with the original plans for the western extension of IL-390 from US 20 to North Avenue: extend the freeway/tollway portion past County Line Road and realign Lake Street to transition into IL-390.

I have a feeling if they put an at-grade intersection at County Farm Road, it will cause backups and accidents. There does not seem to be much distance between it and the existing end at US 20.

paulthemapguy

I would like to see an expressway connection from the west end of IL-390 to the US20 Elgin Bypass.  This is more for fun (a total pipe dream) but this is a general alignment for the roadway that might be feasible?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zEtz9t4m6Ba0.kBhBWdy7Pr98&usp=sharing

At the very least, the expressway can loop around the south side of the US20-County Farm intersection and connect with US20 on the northeast side of Bartlett near Park Ave/North Ave.

quickshade

I wonder if they are thinking the I90 improvements are going to affect traffic routes once all the rebuilding is done and want to see what effect that has before they make any more major decisions about future improvements. I still think the I90/53/290 interchange needs work but if a majority of traffic flow is streamlined to the much better I90 now I would think further extending 390 west might not be a priority.

I-39

Quote from: paulthemapguy on February 23, 2016, 06:20:29 PM
I would like to see an expressway connection from the west end of IL-390 to the US20 Elgin Bypass.  This is more for fun (a total pipe dream) but this is a general alignment for the roadway that might be feasible?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zEtz9t4m6Ba0.kBhBWdy7Pr98&usp=sharing

At the very least, the expressway can loop around the south side of the US20-County Farm intersection and connect with US20 on the northeast side of Bartlett near Park Ave/North Ave.

According to the original plans in 1991, the expressway was to extend westward for a bit longer, then wind down to an arterial between County Farm Road and North Avenue. The North Avenue/US 20/IL-390 junction would be a at-grade intersection, but with US 20 realigned to go directly into the IL-390 extension (you can see this in the presentations above). I think they ought to stick to this rather than building a complete arterial, as I believe backups/accidents will occur at County Farm Road/IL-390 if it is an at-grade intersection.

I-39

Quote from: quickshade on February 23, 2016, 07:18:09 PM
I wonder if they are thinking the I90 improvements are going to affect traffic routes once all the rebuilding is done and want to see what effect that has before they make any more major decisions about future improvements. I still think the I90/53/290 interchange needs work but if a majority of traffic flow is streamlined to the much better I90 now I would think further extending 390 west might not be a priority.

Eh, not significantly. IL-390 (when it goes directly into O'Hare) will be used by a lot of people from the western suburbs looking to get into O'Hare. They need to do something with the western end, the current partial interchange with US 20 is horrendous. And if/when they extend IL-390 west, they won't go very far, only to North Avenue/US 20 on the west side of Hanover Park.

As for the I-90/290/IL-53 system interchange, this will most definitely have to be addressed at some point in the near future. With the increased capacity on I-90, traffic is only going to get worse in that area. I have said this at nauseum before, but I am 100000% baffled this wasn't included in Move Illinois.

quickshade

Well the good news with that is that it seems that the only improvement with the current I90 exit onto 290 will be redoing the tollbooth with Ipass only lanes (2) and 1 tollbooth and then adding another 2 lanes that merge into the local lanes on 53/290. It seems the exit ramps will extend much further back and provide a much better exit flow than the previous ones. I still think it will require a flyover ramp for 53/290 traffic to merge onto I90 west but they seemed to have moved the merge further down I90 which should let traffic get up to speed before merging so we might see a slight improvement there.

And I was just wondering if that was how they were playing it because the majority of this project is easier O'Hare access, I'm not fully aware of the complete scope of the project as far as the western part goes but I think i'll go do some research before I comment further on it just so I don't seem off base.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.