News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 24, 2016, 10:53:03 AM
Quote from: I-39 on July 23, 2016, 05:30:43 PM
At the minimum, they should have IL-390 end in a drop off area that contains parking and a high-speed airport mover that would take passengers to the terminals.

That would be good as a shorter term start for sure. I figure something more would be a very long term (10+ years) to come to fruition.

They really need to just bite the bullet and build the Western Terminal, complete with adjacent parking and an extension of the people mover train. O'Hare is overcapacity and we need alternatives to the United/American monopoly on the airport.

I-39

Just realized something when viewing the live imagery for the Wood Dale Road interchange, are they building the EOWA eastern extension (east of I-290) below grade? It seems as though they built the bridge at grade and then dug out the earth underneath. Anyone know what I mean?

tribar

Quote from: I-39 on August 01, 2016, 09:51:26 PM
Just realized something when viewing the live imagery for the Wood Dale Road interchange, are they building the EOWA eastern extension (east of I-290) below grade? It seems as though they built the bridge at grade and then dug out the earth underneath. Anyone know what I mean?

From what I've heard it's just below grade at that interchange.  The rest of it should be above grade.

Revive 755

Couple comments on signing since tolling began on IL 390:

* At least on Roselle Road, there are signs right near the interchange (one sign for SB, one for NB) which give the toll rates for all of the plazas on the currently open section.  They are hard to read while driving though.

* IMHO, the signing on I-290 ought to be clearer that Thorndale is still open east of I-290.  Most of the current signing on mainline I-290 makes it look as if only WB IL 390 can be accessed from the interchange.

I-39

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 06, 2016, 09:20:47 PM
* IMHO, the signing on I-290 ought to be clearer that Thorndale is still open east of I-290.  Most of the current signing on mainline I-290 makes it look as if only WB IL 390 can be accessed from the interchange.

It should only be temporary signs though, since the permanent overhead signage should be prepped for the EB IL-390 shields that will go up next year.

ChiMilNet

It looks like the Tollway is threatening to sue to CP railroad if they do not show more cooperation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-tollway-canadian-pacific-20160826-story.html

From the article...

QuoteTollway Chairman Bob Schillerstrom said in an interview on Friday that he does not want to file a lawsuit and would prefer that the two parties talk through their differences.

But he said the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is prepared to file a suit before the U.S. Surface Transportation Board if necessary, though a resolution could take years. The board has regulatory oversight of railroads.

"We have employed every avenue we can think of to try to talk to them . . ." Schillerstrom said. "We've been rebuffed at every turn."

A Canadian Pacific spokesman countered that the two sides have talked for years and that the Tollway failed to come up with an offer that addresses the loss of its property and the impact on the national rail network that the project would create.

"The two sides have been unable to reach an agreement and CP is under no obligation to do so," said spokesman Martin Cej in an email.

ILRoad55

Looking at the live cameras. They have put the beams done for the other bridge that spans across the Ike. The new traffic configuration has been set. Cars traveling on Throndale heading east now use the southern frontage road that will run along the Elgin Ohare while traffic going west takes the northern frontage road which is the original thorndale road

I-39

Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 27, 2016, 04:30:08 PM
It looks like the Tollway is threatening to sue to CP railroad if they do not show more cooperation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-tollway-canadian-pacific-20160826-story.html

From the article...

QuoteTollway Chairman Bob Schillerstrom said in an interview on Friday that he does not want to file a lawsuit and would prefer that the two parties talk through their differences.

But he said the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority is prepared to file a suit before the U.S. Surface Transportation Board if necessary, though a resolution could take years. The board has regulatory oversight of railroads.

"We have employed every avenue we can think of to try to talk to them . . ." Schillerstrom said. "We've been rebuffed at every turn."

A Canadian Pacific spokesman countered that the two sides have talked for years and that the Tollway failed to come up with an offer that addresses the loss of its property and the impact on the national rail network that the project would create.

"The two sides have been unable to reach an agreement and CP is under no obligation to do so," said spokesman Martin Cej in an email.

Good. While they are at it, sue Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods for their lack of cooperation in building the Route 53 extension.

hobsini2

Quote from: I-39 on August 28, 2016, 05:20:39 PM

From the article...

Good. While they are at it, sue Long Grove and Hawthorn Woods for their lack of cooperation in building the Route 53 extension.
:clap:
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 28, 2016, 05:44:14 PM

From the article...

Couldn't agree more!!!

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on August 28, 2016, 10:43:41 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 28, 2016, 05:44:14 PM

From the article...

Couldn't agree more!!!

also the groups blocking the Richmond bypass

The Ghostbuster

NE2

Who needs a lawsuit? Call the mafia to take them out. Nothing wrong with murder in the defense of temporarily shorter commute times.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CtrlAltDel

From the article...

Sue them for what?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

tribar

Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2016, 06:27:08 PM
Who needs a lawsuit? Call the mafia to take them out. Nothing wrong with murder in the defense of temporarily shorter commute times.

Or just build the damn road.  What are all these hippies going to do about it?

Revive 755

As of this week, traffic on Thorndale has been shifted into a one-way pair arrangement that uses the new eastbound frontage road from east of IL 83 to some point west of Mittel Boulevard.

hobsini2

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 30, 2016, 10:12:28 PM
As of this week, traffic on Thorndale has been shifted into a one-way pair arrangement that uses the new eastbound frontage road from east of IL 83 to some point west of Mittel Boulevard.
I have driven it myself for work. As of Monday, the EASTBOUND lanes shift from Arlington Hts Rd to passed Route 83 before going back on the original Thorndale Ave. The lane shift is utilizing what appears to be a frontage road between Arlington Hts Rd and Prospect Ave, then using the future entrance ramp on to 390 East, part of 390 over Salt Creek and Mittel Blvd using the exit ramp for Wood Dale Rd and the frontage road to east of Route 83.

Westbound traffic, for now, is still using the current Thorndale Ave alignment. However, it appears they are very close to shifting Westbound traffic onto a frontage road at Prospect Ave to I-290. That frontage road has been paved and signals are in place as well as some of the overhead gantries.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

ILRoad55

I was checking out the cameras they have on the IllinoisTollway site and they do have the gantries up and the I-Pass gantry up east of 290. The progress is going very fast! I also noticed that they have an extra bridge beam just sitting on the EB 290 - EB Elgin Ohare ramp. Not sure what they will do with it since it looks like the beams are all up for that ramp.

hobsini2

Update! According to the message board sign I saw today on Thorndale Ave, the WB lanes of Thorndale between Prospect Ave and I-290 will be shifted on Sept 9th onto the new concrete that will be eventually IL 390 and the North Frontage Rd will open.

ChiMilNet

It seems the traffic shifts on I-290 or back in place at the IL 390 and I-290 interchange. This is welcome as it seems drivers had a hard time with this for some reason I couldn't quite understand. It almost looks like the new SB/EB I-290 to EB IL 390 flyover is making good progress. Any timetable on that opening? Or does that depend more on the IL 390 pavement being ready a little further East?

ILRoad55

Judging by the Live Images, i think the ramp could possibly be finished by the end of this year. That will mean that the stoplights will finally be removed.

quickshade

The ramp will open next Tuesday in a one lane configuration for the duration of the project, traffic signal will be removed.

ILRoad55

Quote from: quickshade on November 25, 2016, 10:56:44 AM
The ramp will open next Tuesday in a one lane configuration for the duration of the project, traffic signal will be removed.
Makes sense since the end of the ramp splits off for traffic to hop onto the Elgin O'Hare or to get off at Park Blvd and Hamilton Lakes. Eventually when they finish the EB lanes over 290 and beyond, it will become a 2 lane flyover

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ILRoad55 on November 25, 2016, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: quickshade on November 25, 2016, 10:56:44 AM
Makes sense since the end of the ramp splits off for traffic to hop onto the Elgin O'Hare or to get off at Park Blvd and Hamilton Lakes. Eventually when they finish the EB lanes over 290 and beyond, it will become a 2 lane flyover

That will be a welcome change. So, that basically marks the end of the stoplights at the interchange. I figured it had to be close to ready. I was driving down Wood Dale a couple weekends ago, and it looked like it would be done shortly, and glad they are not holding up opening it.

edwaleni

Quote from: tribar on August 30, 2016, 09:48:26 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 30, 2016, 06:27:08 PM

Or just build the damn road.  What are all these hippies going to do about it?

Normally I would say wait 30 years until they die, but its been more than that already.

Drop the road 10 feet, build ivy covered sound walls that look like Wrigley Field and plant dense trees on the outside of the wall so it looks like a forest in their backyards.  Honestly, they wouldn't know the difference if the walls were built first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.