News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zonie

The tribe is redeveloping the land for other, non-racing entertainment. 

kernals12

The Arizona State Legislature has authorized $400 million to widen I-10 to 6 lanes from Casa Grande to Chandler. They anticipate the project will cost $1 billion and ADOT has already set aside $260 million leaving $300 million to be covered by the Feds.

Plutonic Panda

So this is the final segment then to be completed?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2022, 08:20:34 PM

Between Phoenix and Tucson yes.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 08:23:21 PM

Good deal. It is very much needed. Now if they could just find a way to upgrade 347. Not sure if a full freeway is warranted but a higher speed design and a bypass around Maricopa would be nice.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 02, 2022, 08:25:46 PM

Good deal. It is very much needed. Now if they could just find a way to upgrade 347. Not sure if a full freeway is warranted but a higher speed design and a bypass around Maricopa would be nice.

Having worked out there I'm still trying to figure what the appeal is over the likes of Casa Grande.

kdk

I can't find an article to cite, but I had read recently on some Maricopa Facebook feed that there are discussions about building an overpass at Riggs, along with the redesign of 347/I-10 (which I imagine would come along with the I-10 widening).  I don't know that there's any talk about bypassing Maricopa other than the proposed e/w connection between I-10 and 347 just south of Maricopa.

pderocco

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 02, 2022, 08:28:16 PM
Having worked out there I'm still trying to figure what the appeal is over the likes of Casa Grande.

It would be a good place for a penitentiary. (Think about it.)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: pderocco on May 04, 2022, 12:30:41 AM

It would be a good place for a penitentiary. (Think about it.)

55,000 plus residents aren't working for correctional facilities.  Most people in Maricopa have a commute that heads up AZ 347 towards I-10.  Essentially it is a sprawl community without immediate freeway access.  Casa Grande at least has direct connection to I-10.

But, now we are getting into reasons I left Phoenix in the first place.  It was great at 3,000,000 in the metro area, not so much at 4,000,000 plus and lapping into places like Maricopa.

Plutonic Panda

All I can tell is you is the traffic that follows and my weird nature to travel so much and get bored with the same routes so when I'm doing a Sedona/Phoenix trip and I get bored of I-10 I detour to I-8. That process takes me through a route many others take to get wherever they're going. Now come on man! I like open roads, pretty women, and fast cars.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 04, 2022, 01:49:10 AM

All I can tell is you is the traffic that follows and my weird nature to travel so much and get bored with the same routes so when I'm doing a Sedona/Phoenix trip and I get bored of I-10 I detour to I-8. That process takes me through a route many others take to get wherever they're going. Now come on man! I like open roads, pretty women, and fast cars.

I would exactly classify AZ 347 as "exciting or interesting."   I used to use MC 238/AZ 238 and AZ 347 sometimes to get back to the East Valley when I was returning from work trips in Yuma or San Diego to bypass downtown Phoenix. 

Plutonic Panda

According to this article they will also extend the HOV lane making it 8 lanes instead of 6? Is that right?

QuoteIn addition to the third lane over the 26-mile section and extending an existing HOV lane by several miles, the project will improve several bridges and interchanges, replacing an existing bridge over the Gila River, improve a frontage road and make other safety improvements.

The project's total cost is estimated at $990 million, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Prior to Wednesday's $400 million general fund appropriation, $290 million in state, federal and Maricopa County cash had already been set aside for the project. ADOT will apply for an additional $300 million grant from federal infrastructure funds approved by Democratic President Joe Biden last year.

Construction is expected to begin early next year and be complete in 2026. Ducey called for the new spending in his January State of the State address.

https://fronterasdesk.org/content/1777379/gov-ducey-signs-legislation-providing-funds-widen-section-i-10

stevashe

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 06, 2022, 12:57:25 PM
According to this article they will also extend the HOV lane making it 8 lanes instead of 6? Is that right?

QuoteIn addition to the third lane over the 26-mile section and extending an existing HOV lane by several miles, the project will improve several bridges and interchanges, replacing an existing bridge over the Gila River, improve a frontage road and make other safety improvements.

The project's total cost is estimated at $990 million, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Prior to Wednesday's $400 million general fund appropriation, $290 million in state, federal and Maricopa County cash had already been set aside for the project. ADOT will apply for an additional $300 million grant from federal infrastructure funds approved by Democratic President Joe Biden last year.

Construction is expected to begin early next year and be complete in 2026. Ducey called for the new spending in his January State of the State address.

https://fronterasdesk.org/content/1777379/gov-ducey-signs-legislation-providing-funds-widen-section-i-10

It's partly right. The HOV lane will not be extended all the way to Casa Grande, only extended part of the way. According to the article in the link below, it will be extended from its current end at Loop 202 to Riggs Rd, a distance of about 6.5 miles.

QuoteIt's the only remaining section of I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson that has only two lanes in each direction. This new project will widen the highway to three lanes and extend the HOV lane from Chandler down to Riggs Road in order to decrease congestion.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/i-10-expansion-project-chandler-casa-grande-reduce-congestion

kdk

Plutonic Panda

kernals12

Quote from: kdk on May 19, 2022, 06:35:11 PM
I saw this about how the "rubberized asphalt" craze on the Phoenix area freeways of the early 2000's hasn't aged well.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/pavement-supposed-to-make-our-roads-quieter-now-its-breaking-down-whats-next/75-8d732a9b-354d-49d2-b14b-6f976b58c3a8

What an uninformative article. It doesn't say why they can't just replace the rubberized asphalt. Also, Arizona has been using rubberized asphalt since the 1960s and it has been proven to be more durable.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on May 19, 2022, 07:33:50 PM
Quote from: kdk on May 19, 2022, 06:35:11 PM
I saw this about how the "rubberized asphalt" craze on the Phoenix area freeways of the early 2000's hasn't aged well.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/pavement-supposed-to-make-our-roads-quieter-now-its-breaking-down-whats-next/75-8d732a9b-354d-49d2-b14b-6f976b58c3a8

What an uninformative article. It doesn't say why they can't just replace the rubberized asphalt. Also, Arizona has been using rubberized asphalt since the 1960s and it has been proven to be more durable.

Sure wasn't all that durable during the 2010-2013 era.  The asphalt marbles on Loop 101 were especially fun when they spraying all over my front bumper in chunks.

andy3175

The article states:

QuoteThe state now must weigh putting down another layer of rubberized asphalt against going with a new technique.

Recently, the state has tested out the "diamond grind" technique on our roadways. Diamond grind uses closely spaced diamond blades to remove a thin layer of the roadway. You can see the "diamond grind" in action on Loop 101 North just east of the I-17.

According to Bullen, diamond grind would last longer and would cost more than a billion dollars less than using rubberized asphalt. However, it is a new technique that is still being looked at.

"This has been our life for the past two years,"  Bullen said.

Whether the state uses rubberized asphalt or diamond grind, the total cost is estimated at more than a billion dollars over the next 30 years to keep our roads maintained.

Is the diamond grinding technique all that new? I've heard of it used in San Diego since the late 1990s. Maybe it's not been used in Phoenix previously?

Are there any studies about noise reduction as a result of diamond grinding? In my experience, concrete usually is louder than asphalt, but I am not sure if diamond grinding causes a noise reduction.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

DRMan

There is a stretch of diamond grind on I-10 in Tucson. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the noise level as opposed to concrete. It isn't pretty to look at, but it is a fairly smooth ride.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: kernals12 on May 02, 2022, 07:49:12 PM
The Arizona State Legislature has authorized $400 million to widen I-10 to 6 lanes from Casa Grande to Chandler. They anticipate the project will cost $1 billion and ADOT has already set aside $260 million leaving $300 million to be covered by the Feds.
Article here about Arizona applying for the remaining $300 million:

https://www.inmaricopa.com/adot-300-million-infrastructure-grant-interstate-10-expansion/

DJStephens

Quote from: DRMan on May 20, 2022, 01:37:33 PM
There is a stretch of diamond grind on I-10 in Tucson. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the noise level as opposed to concrete. It isn't pretty to look at, but it is a fairly smooth ride.

Am guessing that stretch is in the west side of Tucson, where the friction course had been milled off.  Common sense, and 110-115 F degree temperatures in the summer months, would point towards diamond milling the underlying concrete pavements.   

stevashe

Quote from: andy3175 on May 20, 2022, 09:43:11 AM
The article states:

QuoteThe state now must weigh putting down another layer of rubberized asphalt against going with a new technique.

Recently, the state has tested out the "diamond grind" technique on our roadways. Diamond grind uses closely spaced diamond blades to remove a thin layer of the roadway. You can see the "diamond grind" in action on Loop 101 North just east of the I-17.

According to Bullen, diamond grind would last longer and would cost more than a billion dollars less than using rubberized asphalt. However, it is a new technique that is still being looked at.

"This has been our life for the past two years,"  Bullen said.

Whether the state uses rubberized asphalt or diamond grind, the total cost is estimated at more than a billion dollars over the next 30 years to keep our roads maintained.

Is the diamond grinding technique all that new? I've heard of it used in San Diego since the late 1990s. Maybe it's not been used in Phoenix previously?

Are there any studies about noise reduction as a result of diamond grinding? In my experience, concrete usually is louder than asphalt, but I am not sure if diamond grinding causes a noise reduction.

I don't know how much quieter it is off the freeway, but it's definitely a LOT quieter while inside a car driving on it! WSDOT recently did diamond grinding on I-90 over Snoqualmie Pass and the difference is night and day. Was especially noticeable when only half the lanes had been ground. Went from sounding like a jet engine to a normal amount of road noise, maybe comparable to a two to three year old asphalt road.

DJStephens

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 06, 2022, 12:57:25 PM

A large portion of the expenditure will be to replace the twin pre '67 bridges over the dry Gila River wash.  They do not have shoulders.   The widen to the outside methodology should be pursued, both for aesthetics, safety, and to be consistent with previous widening that has already taken place W of Casa Grande, and to the eastern border of Gila Reservation.   The widen to the outside west of Casa Grande exhibits mainline shifting inwards at bridge over-crossings, which anticipates future bridge replacements with modern two spans with greater horizontal clearance, in the future.   

kernals12

Public meeting scheduled for June 8 on the widening of the SanTan Freeway from Loop 101 to Val Vista

https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/574951480/virtual-meeting-for-future-santan-freeway-project-set-on-june-8

The Ghostbuster

Has the AZ 24 freeway extension to Ironwood Rd. been completed yet? It is marked on Google Maps (to some degree) but the terrain only shows construction going just beyond Williams Field Rd.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.