News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Phoenix Area Highways

Started by swbrotha100, February 22, 2015, 07:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 21, 2022, 05:54:02 PM
Has the AZ 24 freeway extension to Ironwood Rd. been completed yet? It is marked on Google Maps (to some degree) but the terrain only shows construction going just beyond Williams Field Rd.

The interim AZ 24 is supposed to be open by the summer. This was the press release at the time the segment to Williams Field Rd opened:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ktar.com/story/4980262/adot-to-open-segment-of-state-route-24-project-in-mesa-on-friday/amp/

kwellada

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 21, 2022, 05:54:02 PM
Has the AZ 24 freeway extension to Ironwood Rd. been completed yet? It is marked on Google Maps (to some degree) but the terrain only shows construction going just beyond Williams Field Rd.

I drove by there last Sunday and the connection to Ironwood is still in progress.

kernals12

The City of Maricopa has broken ground on the first "Arizona Parkway" in the state, the Sonoran Desert Parkway.

The road will have no driveway access and it will incorporate median u-turns to eliminate left turns. It's a dream come true for me.

kernals12

A moment of appreciation for the South Mountain Freeway. In terms of aesthetics, it's arguably up there with the Merritt and Arroyo Seco, but without being terrifying to drive on.

ADOT consulted with the Frank Lloyd Wright foundation for the artwork.

Max Rockatansky

South Mountain Freeway is pretty for a modern design, but it ain't the Arroyo Seco Parkway.  There is way too much bland modern design standards and aesthetics in the structures for anything to compete with older designs. 

DRMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2022, 10:30:05 AM
South Mountain Freeway is pretty for a modern design, but it ain't the Arroyo Seco Parkway.  There is way too much bland modern design standards and aesthetics in the structures for anything to compete with older designs. 

That, and the miles of sound walls. It does look nice from the air though.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: DRMan on July 25, 2022, 03:15:34 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2022, 10:30:05 AM

That, and the miles of sound walls. It does look nice from the air though.

Those were mandatory to keep the Foothills NIMBYs happy.  The freeway would never have been built without them.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

MisterRoadgeek

I just really love Arizona Freeways designs that just showcase beautiful artwork morals that ADOT does, I will always love ADOT for that. That extra dollars into making a freeway look very beautiful with artwork.

Not my pictures but showcases the beautiful freeway art.

MisterRoadgeek

But do you guys know who designs these masterpieces?

kernals12

Max Rockatansky

FWIW pre-beautification AZ 51 was a magnet for vandalism just as many freeways of it's vintage tend to be.  Unattractive designs tend to breed/encourage things like vandalism and stuff like dumping of trash.  For the most part I think one can draw some conclusions that utilizing an appealing design aesthetic saves on the back in mitigation of vandalism costs.  If something looks cared for and maintained, it tends to deter things like vandalism.

Plutonic Panda

I've noticed OkDOT has started to incorporate more art into its freeway projects but nowhere near the level that ADOT has. ODOT also does the copy and paste method on every new design I wish they'd change it up a bit.

kernals12

jdbx

kernals12

Can we please appreciate this? Here's what traffic looks like at 5:00 PM on a Wednesday in Phoenix and 4 other cities with comparable population.

One would think that a city of 5 million that managed to slay the traffic jam dragon would be considered a miracle. But because they did it the politically incorrect way, by building ever wider freeways, they are shunned and ridiculed like a gay man in a small town in Arkansas.

Rothman

Quote from: kernals12 on July 30, 2022, 08:41:46 AM
Can we please appreciate this? Here's what traffic looks like at 5:00 PM on a Wednesday in Phoenix and 4 other cities with comparable population.

One would think that a city of 5 million that managed to slay the traffic jam dragon would be considered a miracle. But because they did it the politically incorrect way, by building ever wider freeways, they are shunned and ridiculed like a gay man in a small town in Arkansas.
Scale matters.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

For reference on city size:

Phoenix - 519.28 square miles
Seattle - 142.07 square miles
Washington DC - 68.34 square miles
Boston - 89.61 square miles
Atlanta - 136.61 square miles

This is not exactly the apples to apples comparison Kernals would have us believe. 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2022, 08:49:27 AM

This is not exactly the apples to apples comparison Kernals would have us believe.
Are you just looking at city proper or the whole metro area?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on July 30, 2022, 09:24:51 AM

Suffice to say the Phoenix area is going to blow all of the others out of the water just the same.   

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2022, 09:29:27 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on July 30, 2022, 09:24:51 AM

Suffice to say the Phoenix area is going to blow all of the others out of the water just the same.
Atlanta is definitely less dense than Phoenix.

Max Rockatansky

The Atlanta Metro Area is 8,376 square miles, Phoenix is 14,598 square miles. 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2022, 09:40:45 AM

Look at these photos, which one has more vacant land?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on July 30, 2022, 09:50:42 AM

Have a look at the vacant land parcels owned by Surprise, Phoenix, Peoria and Goodyear.  Have a look at your average yard size in Scottsdale, northern Phoenix, Carefree or Cave Creek.

Either way, we get that you think Phoenix is the greatest since sliced bread already.  No need to make comparisons to other cites that don't really align with the narrative you are trying to create. 

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2022, 09:56:24 AM

Have a look at the vacant land parcels owned by Surprise, Phoenix, Peoria and Goodyear.  Have a look at your average yard size in Scottsdale, northern Phoenix, Carefree or Cave Creek.

Either way, we get that you think Phoenix is the greatest since sliced bread already.  No need to make comparisons to other cites that don't really align with the narrative you are trying to create.
Do you just enjoy arguing with me?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on July 30, 2022, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2022, 09:56:24 AM

Do you just enjoy arguing with me?

You could say that I like debating with you.  But in general I like to debate statements/arguments that don't really make a lot of sense when I have familiarity with the topic at hand.

FWIW, I definitely found a ton of value in the Phoenix Metro area given I lived there 13 years.  Traffic had nothing to do with why I left, it was career pursuits coupled the real estate market getting out of hand.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.