News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tolls proposed for Cottonwood Canyons

Started by US 89, January 25, 2018, 12:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2022, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 02, 2022, 09:32:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2022, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 02, 2022, 09:29:17 PM
I think it'll still look good. There are hundreds of canyons like this you can go to that won't have gondolas.
You are wrong.
I'm driving to Zion for the weekend I'll respond to this nonsense when I get to the hotel.
No matter your location, you'll still be wrong. :D
we'll see about that

US 89

I'm not a fan, and not just for the "how dare you ruin my view". If the idea was to mitigate avalanche closures, they should have built snow sheds on 210. This is not going to solve weather issues - chairlifts and gondolas and things of that sort can't run in high winds, which are fairly common in the mountains and often come along with the storms that tend to cause the biggest avalanche issues on 210. Given how often the ski resorts up there have wind holds on their existing lifts, this is a very real issue that gondola proponents seem to have conveniently ignored.

This also gives no thought to all the people that go up this canyon to do something other than ski at Snowbird or Alta. Plenty of people snowshoe or backcountry ski or whatever in the lower and middle canyon. Buses could at least stop at the big trailheads whereas a gondola obviously can't. And whatever restrictions/tolls get put on 210 to incentivize people to use the gondola are going to apply to everyone. I see it as a scheme to convert those people currently using our public lands for free into paying customers at private ski resorts.

And even at maximum capacity, the gondola can only carry 35 people up every 2 minutes. For something that's going to cost over a half billion dollars, I expect better.

skluth

Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2022, 11:12:43 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 02, 2022, 09:32:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 02, 2022, 09:30:26 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 02, 2022, 09:29:17 PM
I think it'll still look good. There are hundreds of canyons like this you can go to that won't have gondolas.
You are wrong.
I'm driving to Zion for the weekend I'll respond to this nonsense when I get to the hotel.
No matter your location, you'll still be wrong. :D
Many would find the canyon already ruined as there's an ugly highway going down it. I'm sure the view on busy traffic days is far uglier. I personally think a gondola would look far more peaceful than a highway.

Gondolas can also move large numbers of people as cities like La Paz and Bogota in South America have proved. They can also have stops along the way; this map of La Paz shows how an entire city can be connected by gondolas.

i-215

Kids, kids, kids... you're BOTH wrong.

Let's settle this with the obvious answer:  Convert SR-210 in a FULL FREEWAY, with interchanges!   :bigass:

Rothman

Quote from: i-215 on September 26, 2022, 07:26:16 PM

Let's settle this with the obvious answer:  Convert SR-210 in a FULL FREEWAY, with interchanges!   :bigass:

You monster!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

armadillo speedbump

Good point on evil gondolas destroying everything.  Note how California and the rest of the civilized world have boycotted France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, and Austria because of their many aura ruining gondolas.  Backwards countries that never cared about aesthetics or the environment.  Who can enjoy the Alps nowadays? 

No denying that gondolas cause climate change, too.

But look nearby at how gondolas destroyed Albuquerque.  Once they erected that on Sandia Peak the angry residents revolted.  No longer able to live and work in peace with such a monstrosity hulking over their midst, they turned to a life of crime that continues to this day.  Heed their warning or prepare for Straight Outta Cottonwood!

Rothman

We aren't talking about a glorified ski lift that goes up a mountain like those in the Alps, but one that will be the means of transportation through a canyon.  It will ruin the scenic nature of the canyon, myopically only caring about getting people to the private ski resorts rather than the various other recreational activities that people participate in year round...all at taxpayer expense.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Yeah, I just drove through here a few weeks ago. I don't think it'll ruin the natural beauty at all. I also think it'll bring more people closer to nature, which is always great. At any rate, there are tons of other natural areas around Salt Lake City that won't have these horrible gondolas you can go to.

Rothman

Rover_0

"Doesn't 210 take you to West Valley and Magna?"

"No, that's 201."

"Oh."  😉
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Rothman

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 27, 2022, 02:51:00 PM

"No, that's 201."

"Oh."  
You mean 21st... ;D

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on September 27, 2022, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on September 27, 2022, 02:51:00 PM

"No, that's 201."

"Oh."  
You mean 21st... ;D

Someone's showing their age... :-D

Plutonic Panda

Rothman

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.