News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer78

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 16, 2018, 10:50:08 AM
Quote from: Flyer78 on August 16, 2018, 10:36:16 AMAnother example at the Norristown Interchange, that was even moved to the new monotube (before those were replaced).
https://goo.gl/maps/82T2odygPdv
Containing the erroneous 76 WEST message.  Thankfully, the replacement sign has the correct (for this location) 276 WEST message.

Ha... I don't think I ever noticed that (though I recall it has been brought up before now...). "Hidden" in plain sight.

thenetwork

Quote from: tckma on August 16, 2018, 08:23:08 AM
Quote from: ipeters61 on August 15, 2018, 08:33:48 PM
(and of course I'm wrong since I just checked Steve Alpert's site, notice the signage at US-11/I-76: http://alpsroads.net/roads/pa/i-81/n.html)

I remember a metric crap-ton of those center-tabbed, button-copy BGSs from 1996-2000 on the section of I-80 from the NJ state line (what IS Del Water Gap anyway?  it's not a town...) to I-380.  Even back then I thought "holy crap those look OLD."

I LOVED that style of BGSs!  Ohio had a few like that and so did Colorado, but PA's seemed to last the longest.

Was that center, no-line tab something that the MUTCD (if it was around then) was experimenting with in the early-mid 70s?

Roadsguy

Quote from: tckma on August 16, 2018, 08:23:08 AM
(what IS Del Water Gap anyway?  it's not a town...)

Actually, it is a town (though a very small one), but the borough is named for the actual gap for water through the mountain range that's there.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

empirestate

J N Winkler

Quote from: thenetwork on August 16, 2018, 11:55:47 PMI LOVED that style of BGSs!  Ohio had a few like that and so did Colorado, but PA's seemed to last the longest.

Was that center, no-line tab something that the MUTCD (if it was around then) was experimenting with in the early-mid 70s?

The phrase "manual of uniform traffic control devices" as a title template for traffic manuals dates from about 1935.  And no, exit tabs without underline were never part of any edition of the MUTCD.  The 1961 edition does not mention exit tabs at all, while the 1971 edition shows center-mounted tabs exclusively with no break in main sign panel border underneath the tab.  The 1978 edition was the first to incorporate art showing tabs aligned left or right to match the orientation of the exit, but I can see no text even suggesting, let alone mandating, that tab alignment match exit orientation.

Scanned old MUTCD editions on Richard Moeur's Traffic Signs website

Multiple styles of exit tab were tried in the early days of exit numbering, and some of them were frankly weird.  Here are some examples (sourcing in parentheses):

*  VA:  Two-line, bottom-mounted (1967 Congressional report on guide signing deficiencies)

*  PA:  One-line, center-mounted, not divided from main sign panel (photos of surviving examples on various roadgeek websites; original construction plans from the days when the PennDOT FTP server was still publicly accessible)

*  CO:  Stacked "MILE" and "EXIT" tabs (old CDOT construction plans; the 1971 MUTCD mentioned the option of dual-posting exits according to milepost and sequential number, and Colorado was one of the few states to try this)

*  AZ:  Left-mounted (even for right exits) two-line tabs (~1970 Interstate construction plans downloadable through Arizona DOT's ROAD database)

*  GA:  Full-width (integral with main sign panel) with one-line exit number message, centered, and ruled line separating it from main sign legend (multiple construction plans downloadable through GDOT's TransPI database)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 17, 2018, 10:07:40 AM
The phrase "manual of uniform traffic control devices"
On, not of. (:

Gnutella

Earlier this month, I clinched the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The six-lane segments near Pittsburgh and Harrisburg look great, and I look forward to seeing more and more of the Turnpike get reconstructed and widened, especially in western Pennsylvania, where the four-lane segments are in much worse shape than they are in eastern Pennsylvania. I was actually surprised by how well-kept the four-lane segment from Harrisburg to the outer Philadelphia suburbs is, and because of that, I predict that the segment from Harrisburg to near Reading will be the last to get reconstructed and widened.

By the way, if the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and PennDOT are not going to fix Breezewood anytime soon, then they need to build a direct connection between the Turnpike and I-99 in Bedford, and reconstruct and widen the segment from Bedford to Breezewood to six lanes. There was a random traffic jam where the Turnpike climbs the hill just east of Bedford. Another thing to consider is tacking on extra lanes on the four-lane segment from New Stanton to Donegal that was reconstructed 15-20 years ago.

Beltway

The east-west turnpike west of New Stanton and east of Morgantown is already in planning and design for 6-lane reconstruction of the parts not yet widened.  Also the NE Extension between the east-west turnpike and Quakertown.  This will address the busiest segments, although the busy segment between Quakertown and Allentown is not yet included but needs to be.

The overlap section with I-70 should get priority after those, as it has volumes considerably higher than between Breezewood and Carlisle which carries I-76 alone.  Plus the fact that it carries I-70 corridor traffic in addition to I-76 traffic.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Gnutella on August 22, 2018, 01:28:23 AM
Earlier this month, I clinched the Pennsylvania Turnpike. The six-lane segments near Pittsburgh and Harrisburg look great, and I look forward to seeing more and more of the Turnpike get reconstructed and widened, especially in western Pennsylvania, where the four-lane segments are in much worse shape than they are in eastern Pennsylvania. I was actually surprised by how well-kept the four-lane segment from Harrisburg to the outer Philadelphia suburbs is, and because of that, I predict that the segment from Harrisburg to near Reading will be the last to get reconstructed and widened.

By the way, if the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and PennDOT are not going to fix Breezewood anytime soon, then they need to build a direct connection between the Turnpike and I-99 in Bedford, and reconstruct and widen the segment from Bedford to Breezewood to six lanes. There was a random traffic jam where the Turnpike climbs the hill just east of Bedford. Another thing to consider is tacking on extra lanes on the four-lane segment from New Stanton to Donegal that was reconstructed 15-20 years ago.

I don't recall ever sitting in traffic there.  It would matter a bit if the random traffic jam was due to traffic, or residue traffic from an accident or construction that had been cleaned up prior to you getting to that point.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Gnutella on August 22, 2018, 01:28:23 AM

Local politicians notwithstanding (though they certainly are a major factor), adding 2 simple ramps from the Breezewood spur to "free" I-70 in Breezewood would be So much easier than some kind of direct interchange with I-99.  It seems like the topography is a little more difficult there, plus the close proximity from the  I-99 US-220/ US-30 Cloverleaf (to the south) and the local Business-220 trumpet (to the north) would make shoehorning some kind of freeway-freeway interchange an expensive proposition.
There are design projects on the books to widen sections of the turnpike between Bedford & Breezewood to 6 lanes - but they may have built themselves into a proverbial corner with newer structures around the Juiniata River crossing (both the TPK, and US-30 crossing the TPK and the river) making that pretty difficult, or expensive. (Just my opinion)
The problem with more lanes between New Stanton & Donegal is, as you pointed out, it's "only" been 15-20 years.  They'll want to get a lot more use out of that before having to rebuild that - plus they still have so much they haven't gotten to.  I'm not saying they wouldn't do this in another 30 years or so, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

As for other sections, there are a lot of projects encompassing it, but construction has really slowed down (Irwin - Monroeville has been postponed 2 years or so, money issues given). I suspect Act 44 payments are probably one of the big reasons.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

ARMOURERERIC

They are well into th Southern Beltway extension to 79 and still looks like Mon Fay to PA 885 will start in the spring.  Once the 95 interchange wraps, I hope to see more mainline work.

mrsman

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 13, 2018, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 13, 2018, 02:52:00 PM
On another topic, I'm curious as to why the Zelienople service plaza closed. Ever since the closure, there is an 82 mile gap in westbound services between New Stanton and Mahoning Valley (on the Ohio Turnpike). I could understand it being closed eastbound because of the nearby Oakmont Plum, but not westbound. Was it closed due to finances, or Turnpike work in the area (such as widening)?

I'm guessing because of them making that section of the Turnpike free.  More people now get off at US-19/I-79 (Cranberry) to use the services there than they would have in the past do to no toll booths anymore.

But it's not necessarily true that free turnpikes mean lack of business at the plaza.  The JFK turnpike in MD is now free, except for the bridge over the Susquehanna River, and the plazas still get decent traffic.

Beeper1

IIRC, Zelienople was actually closed due to lack of traffic the last time the service plaza concession contracts were re-upped. HMS Host did not want to operate it due to low traffic and sales volumes.

Being a free section of road doesn't usually drop service area usage.   See the service plazas in Connecticut, on the NY Parkways, and the non-toll roads in Mass.     

tckma

Quote from: Beeper1 on September 18, 2018, 11:21:31 PM
and the non-toll roads in Mass.     

I lived in Mass from 2000-2008 (with the exception of a brief period that I lived in NH).  I don't recall a service plaza located anywhere off the Mass Pike.  Unless you are counting the free section between exits 1 and 6?

briantroutman

^ I seem to recall reading something about a Howard Johnson's restaurant formerly having been wedged into a small parcel (such as in the median or within an interchange) directly attached to I-93 near Quincy. Does anyone recall the details?

Ian

Quote from: tckma on September 19, 2018, 03:32:32 PM

I lived in Mass from 2000-2008 (with the exception of a brief period that I lived in NH).  I don't recall a service plaza located anywhere off the Mass Pike.  Unless you are counting the free section between exits 1 and 6?

There are several (but not many) off the Pike. The ones that come to mind are I-95 southbound in Newton (just north of MA 16), I-95 northbound in Lexington (just south of MA 2A), and both directions of MA 24 just north of the I-495 junction.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PHLBOS

Quote from: briantroutman on September 19, 2018, 03:45:15 PM
^ I seem to recall reading something about a Howard Johnson's restaurant formerly having been wedged into a small parcel (such as in the median or within an interchange) directly attached to I-93 near Quincy. Does anyone recall the details?
That Hojo's was along I-93 southbound (Southeast Expressway) just prior to the Braintree Split (Exit 7/MA 3).  It was torn down when Southeast Expressway was overhauled circa 1984-85.

Quote from: Ian on September 19, 2018, 04:58:17 PM
Quote from: tckma on September 19, 2018, 03:32:32 PM

There are several (but not many) off the Pike. The ones that come to mind are I-95 southbound in Newton (just north of MA 16), I-95 northbound in Lexington (just south of MA 2A), and both directions of MA 24 just north of the I-495 junction.
There's also one along MA 128 northbound in Beverly just beyond Exit 19 (Sohier Rd//Brimbal Ave.)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 19, 2018, 05:06:20 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on September 19, 2018, 03:45:15 PM
That Hojo's was along I-93 southbound (Southeast Expressway) just prior to the Braintree Split (Exit 7/MA 3).  It was torn down when Southeast Expressway was overhauled circa 1984-85.
OT... but it looks like that area was still used for staging 10 years later according to the historic aerials. I know the whole split was rehabbed in the early 2000s, so maybe it didn't revert to its current green state until after that.

theroadwayone

On a slightly different note, the only parts of the PA Turnpike system that aren't AET (and not on the mainline or NE Extension) are the Mon-Fayette Expressway and PA 66. Do you think that the PTC wants all that done before moving on to the main sections?

MASTERNC

Quote from: theroadwayone on September 21, 2018, 01:08:25 AM
On a slightly different note, the only parts of the PA Turnpike system that aren't AET (and not on the mainline or NE Extension) are the Mon-Fayette Expressway and PA 66. Do you think that the PTC wants all that done before moving on to the main sections?

Makes sense to convert the coin drop extensions first IMO.  Guess we'll see if there's any announcement early next year (since conversions tend to occur in the spring).

Rothman

Not a service plaza, but MA 116 had a rest area south of Sunderland, MA.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

tckma

Quote from: Ian on September 19, 2018, 04:58:17 PM

Ah, not areas I got to often, with the exception of 128 in Lexington.  I either don't remember that one or REALLY didn't pay attention while driving (the latter I doubt).

Flyer78

The new LED lighting is now operational in the southbound Lehigh Tunnel. Overall, seemed brighter than the older lighting it replaced. As it was night, not able to say if there is any difference in illumination at entry/exit.

Another addition is blue lights along the left-hand lane over hydrants and exit-portals. The blue LEDs were not that bright, but noticeable.

briantroutman

I drove through there last night around 10 p.m. and the tunnel traffic was reduced to one lane in each direction with southbound traffic directed to crossover to the northbound (old, rectangular) tube. I wondered why–and now I know. Thanks for the update. I'll be sure to notice the lighting next time through.

Flyer78

Funny, that is right around the same time I went through ... Must have just missed a closing, although didn't appear anything was imminent to happen... (10:05ish, 10:10pm at the latest)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.