News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: bugo on November 22, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 22, 2012, 10:14:16 AM
Quote from: Chris on November 21, 2012, 10:18:36 AM
I was interested in the routing of I-49 through Lafayette, so I took a look with Google Street View. It appears a significant amount of homes in the US 90 median are either deserted or are in significant disrepair. A large number of lots are already empty.

I suspect it wouldn't be the most difficult thing to clear out the remaining homes and businesses via eminent domain, and get a decent right-of-way for an elevated freeway. It will give a major boost to the accessibility of central Lafayette.

It's sort of the same way on the proposed I-49 routing between I-20 and I-220 in Shreveport, too.  That large area of vacant land that is a couple of blocks north of the I-20/49 interchange is the site of a public housing project that was built in the ROW of the then cancelled freeway back in the late 1960s or early 1970s(I think).  That project failed (as most in the USA did) and the buildings were cleared about 10-15 years or so ago.  The rest of the I-49 corridor in that neighborhood is similarly 'spotty'.

Mike

"Spotty" is RNC-speak for "African-American."

Yet another totally baseless racist partisan political cheap shot from the left.

Sad....

:no:

Mike

bugo

Quote from: mgk920 on November 25, 2012, 11:22:10 AM
Yet another totally baseless racist partisan political cheap shot from the left.

Yet another clueless Republican right-wing extremist who thinks everyone to the left of Mussolini is a Communist...

I'm not the one who made the racist statement, Mike.  You are.

NE2

To be fair, I think he actually meant 'spotty' literally - as in spots of houses interspersed with vacant properties.

But awesome people live there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bugo on November 22, 2012, 06:23:19 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on November 22, 2012, 10:14:16 AM
Quote from: Chris on November 21, 2012, 10:18:36 AM
I was interested in the routing of I-49 through Lafayette, so I took a look with Google Street View. It appears a significant amount of homes in the US 90 median are either deserted or are in significant disrepair. A large number of lots are already empty.

I suspect it wouldn't be the most difficult thing to clear out the remaining homes and businesses via eminent domain, and get a decent right-of-way for an elevated freeway. It will give a major boost to the accessibility of central Lafayette.

It's sort of the same way on the proposed I-49 routing between I-20 and I-220 in Shreveport, too.  That large area of vacant land that is a couple of blocks north of the I-20/49 interchange is the site of a public housing project that was built in the ROW of the then cancelled freeway back in the late 1960s or early 1970s(I think).  That project failed (as most in the USA did) and the buildings were cleared about 10-15 years or so ago.  The rest of the I-49 corridor in that neighborhood is similarly 'spotty'.

Mike

"Spotty" is RNC-speak for "African-American."

Actually, "spotty" means exactly that....spotty. There really isn't that much in that corridor, especially since they transformed Pierre Ave. and Pete Harris Drive into the one-way couplet feeders for I-49.

No comment whatsoever on that RNC smack.

Gordon

One item I noticed is the cost of I 49 from Shreveport to the Arkansas line . I remember when they started construction they estmated it would cost 600 million in 2006. Then the the I 49 north site had it at 622 million in 2009, now this article is saying 631 million. I can't believe cost jumping that much in that time frame.

xonhulu

Quote from: Gordon on November 25, 2012, 07:46:37 PM
One item I noticed is the cost of I 49 from Shreveport to the Arkansas line . I remember when they started construction they estmated it would cost 600 million in 2006. Then the the I 49 north site had it at 622 million in 2009, now this article is saying 631 million. I can't believe cost jumping that much in that time frame.

That's only a 5% increase in 6 years.  Compared to a lot of other projects, that's chump change.

mgk920

Quote from: NE2 on November 25, 2012, 05:39:50 PM
To be fair, I think he actually meant 'spotty' literally - as in spots of houses interspersed with vacant properties.

That is EXACTLY what I meant and yes, I also have great respect for those who continue to hold on to what they have there, as well as for their taking the time to look to the future and figure out that perhaps the idea of building I-49 there is not so bad after all and may very well be the best course for the area's long-term good.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on November 26, 2012, 12:36:57 AM
Quote from: NE2 on November 25, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

That is EXACTLY what I meant and yes, I also have great respect for those who continue to hold on to what they have there, as well as for their taking the time to look to the future and figure out that perhaps the idea of building I-49 there is not so bad after all and may very well be the best course for the area's long-term good.

Mike
"Awesome people" is what this site corrects a certain derogatory word to...

Alps

Quote from: xonhulu on November 25, 2012, 08:51:59 PM
Quote from: Gordon on November 25, 2012, 07:46:37 PM

That's only a 5% increase in 6 years.  Compared to a lot of other projects, that's chump change.
Yeah, even 500% would be low compared to some projects (Big Dig).

Gordon

Then I guess we need to raise taxes and build these roads. Because that is where the money comes from. Gas taxes would be a start.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2012, 02:22:56 PM
The second round of Stage 1 Community Input Meetings for the I-49 Inner City Connector will be held in early December

The I-49 Inner City Connector Project website now has a map of the four Build Alternatives that will be available for viewing at the Community Input Meetings:

apjung

Why would alignment 4 even be considered?

Alps

Quote from: apjung on November 28, 2012, 02:46:20 AM
Why would alignment 4 even be considered?
Leadership 101: Make the other person feel like they came up with your idea. When the public selects purple as the least disruptive, fail to point out it's also the straightest and makes best use of existing infrastructure. Just nod your head and say, "We acquiesce to your demand."

Grzrd

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 20, 2012, 02:22:56 PM
The second round of Stage 1 Community Input Meetings for the I-49 Inner City Connector will be held in early December

This TV video report focuses on the Allendale opponents of the I-49 Inner City Connector who advocate the No Build Alternative:

a growing group of residents in the Allendale neighborhood have organized against the potential new construction. Instead, they want to utilize the current loop around Shreveport westbound on I-20 and I-220 to I-49N. These homeowners say the longer route will actually save money while saving their homes.
"Don't displace your people just to make this out a raceway for cars to get to somewhere," says Allendale resident Dorothy Wiley. "There are other ways to do it." ....
Concerned by the plans, Wiley and other Allendale residents reached out to Shreveport architect Kim Mitchell for guidance.
"Nowhere in the history of the interstate system has an interstate gone through a neighborhood and done anything than make that neighborhood worse," Mitchell says. "I don't quite understand why in our public process, the citizens of Shreveport haven't been told that. Particularly the ones to be most affected in Allendale."

Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 19, 2012, 12:36:23 PM
John Norquist needs to keep his sorrry butt our of our business.

Although the report does not mention Norquist, Mitchell seems to sing the same song:

Mitchell says New Orleans and Portland, Oregon, are both trying to demolish elevated highways like the one proposed for Shreveport. He says such structures are visually unappealing and have far-reaching social implications.
"Traditionally, it has been an issue of separating 'haves' from 'have-nots,' which it really did on I-49 South," Mitchell says.

It is unclear from the report how large the opposition is at this point.

Anthony_JK

Quote"Nowhere in the history of the interstate system has an interstate gone through a neighborhood and done anything than make that neighborhood worse," Mitchell says. "I don't quite understand why in our public process, the citizens of Shreveport haven't been told that. Particularly the ones to be most affected in Allendale."

Funny, but I don't hear the people in Alexandria complaining about the damage I-49 wrought through their city.

Also, routing I-49 though I-220 and LA 3132 has one major drawback: Cross Lake is the principal source of Shreveport's drinking water, and having hazardous materials use I-220 to travel norht and south would be a serious issue if any hazmat accident would occur.

Also....has Morgan City or the Westbank communities of Gretna and Harvey been so damaged by the elevated segments of US 90 or the Westbank Expressway?? 

Finally...I-49 South hasn't even been built through Lafayette, and we've already established that there will be no bypass.

mcdonaat

I-49 in Alexandria has done no good OR bad to those neighborhoods - already in the bad area of town, and business is still along MacArthur Drive (US 71).

I wish a bypass could be built in Lafayette, to encourage I-10 East traffic to use I-49 to New Orleans instead of through Baton Rouge. Maybe do what Baton Rouge does with the Green Light project - build small chunks of highways instead of large projects, and address your needs first, then connect the pieces. The public likes to see tax money being spent wisely, so show the public that taxes are good.

In that same sense, I wish Louisiana would open I-49 from Arkansas south to US 71 when it gets finished. The same was done for I-10 in its' path from west to east. Sign it as LA 3291, a temporary placeholder. Keep in mind, LA 3026 was the Pineville Expressway until US 167 took it over.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 11, 2012, 11:16:34 PM
I-49 in Alexandria has done no good OR bad to those neighborhoods - already in the bad area of town, and business is still along MacArthur Drive (US 71).

True, but the original plan for I-49 between Opelousas and Shreveport was to completely bypass Alexandria to the SW, and build a connector to hook up with downtown at the Pineville Expressway bridge. Businesses in Alexandria raised hell because they thought that they would be bypassed by the potential economic growth, and because there was no guarantee that the connector would be built.

QuoteI wish a bypass could be built in Lafayette, to encourage I-10 East traffic to use I-49 to New Orleans instead of through Baton Rouge. Maybe do what Baton Rouge does with the Green Light project - build small chunks of highways instead of large projects, and address your needs first, then connect the pieces. The public likes to see tax money being spent wisely, so show the public that taxes are good.

A bypass around W to S of Lafayette would be necessary even if I-49 South was built along the Evangeline Thruway/US 90 corridor, if only for the reasons you suggested....as well as the fast growing outlyiing areas of Scott, Maurice, and Youngsville. Using that bypass to carry I-49, though, would be counterproductive, since it would not serve directly Lafayette and would be too much of a distance...especially since US 90 and the Thruway is already there. If you want to bypass the Thuway, an eastern alternative like Teche Ridge though St, Mary Parish would be more effective. But, why not use the most effecive, most direct route??

QuoteIn that same sense, I wish Louisiana would open I-49 from Arkansas south to US 71 when it gets finished. The same was done for I-10 in its' path from west to east. Sign it as LA 3291, a temporary placeholder. Keep in mind, LA 3026 was the Pineville Expressway until US 167 took it over.

Personally, I'd settle for LA 1049 for consistency's sake until the entire section from I-220 north is finished, then pressure Arkansas to remove those blasted AR 549 shields and make it officially I-49 up to I-30 (and perhaps further northward).

cjk374

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 11, 2012, 07:49:30 PM

Also, routing I-49 though I-220 and LA 3132 has one major drawback: Cross Lake is the principal source of Shreveport's drinking water, and having hazardous materials use I-220 to travel norht and south would be a serious issue if any hazmat accident would occur.

This was everybody's fear & reason to oppose the building of the I-220 bridge over Cross Lake back in the 80s.  The bridge was built & designed so that if a haz-mat spill did occur on the bridge, it would flow down drains into a long pipe to a large holding pond (lined with concrete) on the east end of the bridge just behind the gore area of the Blanchard exit ramp.   :clap:

Besides...the Kansas City Southern's mainline that exits their large yard on the south end runs along the shore of Cross Lake.  If they were to derail and let hazardous materials get into the lake there, it would be worse than anything I-220 could ever dish out.   :ded:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

mcdonaat

Keep in mind both LA 1049 and 3049/3149 are used. Numbering it LA 249 could work, except for the fact that LA 3249 exists in Shreveport.

Use one of the 3XXX temporary numbers for I-49. If ANYTHING, sign it as Bypass US 71/Alternate US 71. I just want the damn thing opened and drivable.

Hazmat is the least of our worries... if hazardous materials were ever an issue, I-10 and the Causeway wouldn't be open over Pontchartrain. Also, I-210 and 10 wouldn't cross Lake Charles.

I prefer I-49 to be sent through Shreveport, but sign LA 3132 as an Interstate... I-169. I know tons of people who never take LA 3132 because it's not an Interstate. Dumb, but true.

bassoon1986

Quote from: mcdonaat on December 12, 2012, 10:44:18 PM
Keep in mind both LA 1049 and 3049/3149 are used. Numbering it LA 249 could work, except for the fact that LA 3249 exists in Shreveport.

I have never heard of that number. I looked at the state log on this site but all it said was south interchange of I-20 to US 80.  Which interchange is that? Monkhouse?

Grzrd

Use one of the 3XXX temporary numbers for I-49. If ANYTHING, sign it as Bypass US 71/Alternate US 71. I just want the damn thing opened and drivable.

LaDOTD has posted an Apparent Low Bidder for the Segment A-D signage project:

H.003516.6 (DBE Goal Project) I-49N (A-D) SIGNAGE & MISC. CONSTRUCTION
GRADING, CONCRETE CAST-IN-PLACE REVETMENT, SIGNING, STRIPING AND RELATED WORK.
Parish(es): Caddo
Route(s): I-49
Federal: 0910(510)
Estimated Construction Cost: $2,606,191.25
Apparent Low Bidder: T.L. Construction LLC
PO BOX 12893
ALEXANDRIA, LA 71315
Phone: (318)448-4720  $2,915,822.70

Also, this Plan sheet confirms that it will be signed as I-49.

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 11, 2012, 07:49:30 PM
Funny, but I don't hear the people in Alexandria complaining about the damage I-49 wrought through their city ....
Also....has Morgan City or the Westbank communities of Gretna and Harvey been so damaged by the elevated segments of US 90 or the Westbank Expressway??

A Build Alternatives Community Impact Table was recently added to the Inner City Connector website.

mcdonaat

Quote from: bassoon1986 on December 13, 2012, 11:49:18 AM

I have never heard of that number. I looked at the state log on this site but all it said was south interchange of I-20 to US 80.  Which interchange is that? Monkhouse?
Jefferson Paige Road, signed as TO US 79/80 from 20, but 3249 from 79/80 to 20.

AKA the last 220 exit before 20 West.

bassoon1986

Grzrd...that plan sheet makes me wonder if the mile markers are based on the Inner Loop/I-220 routing instead of the current 49 through town. If I guessed miles correctly based on US 71 now, milemarker 234 at US 71 south of hosston is about 22 miles from I-220 which would make a tentative milemarker there at 212. That's 6 miles away from I-49 at its terminus now, but it's exactly 13 miles away from I-49 at LA 3132, which is exit 199.

My numbers could be off but it looks like the mileage will go around the loop. If and when the ICC gets built down the road, it will be much later than the opening of 49 north of Shreveport. 30+ miles is a lot easier to replace mile markers than say all of 49 if mileage gets added to 49 south in 20 years...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.