News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I49 in LA

Started by rte66man, July 14, 2010, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on March 07, 2013, 01:16:48 PM
Here is the Home Page. The I-49 South page illustrates their "regional vision" by expressing support for a new I-10 bridge in Lake Charles and a new link between Texas and Mississippi
Quote from: Anthony_JK on March 15, 2013, 02:45:03 PM
Some very interesting developments now brewing concerning I-49 South, and the newly emerging coalition to finally build the project. This is from the KATC-TV (ABC Lafayette affiliate) website:
I-49 South Coalition Stakeholders' Meeting set for March 18
The coalition to promotes, advocates, and identifies funding streams to ultimately complete I-49 South from I-49 in Lafayette to I-310 in Boutte ...
A secondary aspect of the project will be to fund and build a new I-10 bridge in Lake Charles and eventually link the new I-49 South with New Orleans through the GNO bridge.
Quote from: Grzrd on August 12, 2013, 08:41:00 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on July 19, 2013, 04:21:32 PM
St. Mary Parish legislators Senator Allain and Rep. Jones have sent a follow-up letter to LaDOTD that not only expresses overall approval by St. Mary Parish officials of the cost reductions for Section 3 of I-49 South, but also includes an attached list of recommendations for further review
The I-49 South Coalition has posted LaDOTD's response to the letter, in which LaDOTD provides a positive response to many of the suggestions.

Despite the beginning of the environmental process for the I-10 bridge and the positive ongoing meetings regarding the I-49 South Corridor, the Lafayette-Lake Charles "super region" is still getting its act together, as reported in this Sept. 14 article:

More than a year into the formation of a "super region"  that links southwest Louisiana and Acadiana to promote common economic and public policy interests, that ol' devil still resides in the details.
George Swift, president and CEO of the Southwest Louisiana Economic Development Council, now heads the fledgling organization, formed in February 2012, that loosely ties together 13 parishes, mostly along the Interstate 10 corridor ....
"It's about leveraging the assets of both areas,"  Swift said. Greater Lake Charles and the Lafayette areas have their own distinct business and industrial specialties – the former petrochemical, the latter offshore oil, he said ....
They also have distinct infrastructure needs: Lake Charles needs a new I-10 bridge; Lafayette needs Interstate 49 to extend to New Orleans. They need mutual support.
Their common interests were made plain during congressional redistricting talks in 2011. Then, the Legislature weighed splitting the congressional district that included Lake Charles and Lafayette, spinning off Lake Charles into a reformed district that would have included Shreveport. It became plain to both Lake Charles and Lafayette that they belonged together, not apart, in a congressional district – and perhaps in many other ways. But there are a lot of details to iron out ...

It will be interesting to see how the "super region" prioritizes the I-10 bridge and I-49 South; in other words, will it follow the I-49 South Coalition to prioritize I-49 South from Lafayette to I-310 first, with the I-10 bridge presumably second and I-49 South from I-310 to I-10 presumably third?

Anthony_JK

IIRC, Griz, the I-49 South Coalition did include the upgrade of the Calcasieu River Bridge as one of its "megaprojects" that it would support as part of gaining statewide support for the full upgrade of US 90 to NOLA. So, I don't think that they are downgrading the Boutte to NOLA link in any way; though they may just push it to the side a bit in order to concentrate their efforts on completing the Lafayette to Morgan City portion of I-49 South first.

Interesting thing about that Lake Charles-Lafayette "super region": The Daily Advertiser article alluded to some efforts to split the Lake Charles and Lafayette areas into seperate US Congressional districts after the 2010 Census forced LA to lose a congressional district. Ultimately, they decided to keep them together...but one of the byproducts is that my own home city of Opelousas and St. Landry Parish, which is far more a part of Acadiana than Lake Charles is, got pushed into the Alexandria/Monroe Congressional district formerly represented by Rodney Alexander. (He resigned earlier this year; a special election for his replacement is up for this coming November.) So..six of one equals one-half of the other, I guess.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: Anthony_JK on October 10, 2013, 06:32:35 AM
Interesting thing about that Lake Charles-Lafayette "super region": The Daily Advertiser article alluded to some efforts to split the Lake Charles and Lafayette areas into seperate US Congressional districts after the 2010 Census forced LA to lose a congressional district. Ultimately, they decided to keep them together...but one of the byproducts is that my own home city of Opelousas and St. Landry Parish, which is far more a part of Acadiana than Lake Charles is, got pushed into the Alexandria/Monroe Congressional district formerly represented by Rodney Alexander.

Part of that outcome was also due to the fact that politicians from north Louisiana wanted their region to remain included in two congressional districts (more representation that way). So in order to make the population numbers balance, the 4th and particularly the 5th district had to be extended ridiculously far to the south and east (the 5th, for example, extends east to include Washington Parish).

Gordon

The last section of I 49 North has been delayed by LaDOTD until 1/29/14 for bid letting. I don't think it will delay opening that section in 2016 because of the Holidays and weather in december.

bassoon1986

Here's a few photos my wife snagged in the car yesterday from the future interchange of LA 1 at I-49 in North Shreveport. (sorry they include some car, arm, and dash shots...if we had stopped, our 2 dogs would have ruined them worse!)

Southbound on LA 1, looking at Future southbound I-49 (Segment J?)

Looking at the Northbound side, everything completed but the overpass. Ramps are paved, and signs are up and uncovered! I would have loved to have seen them. You can also barely see the finally completed overpass (LA 538 Old Mooringsport Rd) in the background.

Pillars for Mainline 49 lanes going up

Back to Southbound I-49 for these next 2:

Grzrd

^ Thanks for the pics! It's great to see the progress.

Quote from: Grzrd on June 07, 2013, 11:23:14 AM
I just noticed that LaDOTD now has a H.010620 - US 90 (I-49 South) Albertson's Parkway to Ambassador Caffery page

The page has a new link to LaDOTD's announcement of a public meeting about the project that was held on October 15.  The banner at the top of the announcement leaves little doubt that LaDOTD favors I-49 over I-6 or having the upgrade retain the US 90 designation:

Also, this TV video reports on the October 15 hearing.

roadman65

Great to see some of the missing link to I-220 being taken to complete.  Even if LaDOT does not complete it through the city, at least I-49 can be temporarily routed on the I-220 & LA 3132 beltway and still be a completed freeway between Lafayette and Texarkana.  Heck even if AR does not complete I-49 between Texarkana and I-540 at Van Buren, it can still be signed as such as far north as I-30.

Pretty soon Arkansas will have to allow two different Route 49's within its boundaries because the pressure will be on them when LA completes its freeway in Cado.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

lamsalfl

Quote from: Grzrd on October 20, 2013, 05:10:15 PM
^ Thanks for the pics! It's great to see the progress.

Quote from: Grzrd on June 07, 2013, 11:23:14 AM
I just noticed that LaDOTD now has a H.010620 - US 90 (I-49 South) Albertson's Parkway to Ambassador Caffery page

The page has a new link to LaDOTD's announcement of a public meeting about the project that was held on October 15.  The banner at the top of the announcement leaves little doubt that LaDOTD favors I-49 over I-6 or having the upgrade retain the US 90 designation:

Also, this TV video reports on the October 15 hearing.

I never realized DOTD ever thought about it being anything other than I-49?  About 15 years ago there were Future 49 Corridor shields on US 90B where it splits with I-10.  The sign is gone, but there is one on the Westbank and several more between New Orleans and Lafayette.

Grzrd

Quote from: lamsalfl on October 20, 2013, 08:40:57 PM
I never realized DOTD ever thought about it being anything other than I-49?

I was half-joking. At times on different threads both I-6 and US 90 have been speculated as the eventual designation.  As far as I know (but others would know better), LaDOTD itself has been consistent about I-49.

roadman65

Quote from: Grzrd on October 20, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

I was half-joking. At times on different threads both I-6 and US 90 have been speculated as the eventual designation.  As far as I know (but others would know better), LaDOTD itself has been consistent about I-49.
The last time I was in Houma there were still FUTURE I-49 shields along with US 90 ones along the freeway segment between Racine and Morgan City.  This was in 11 and I think they were still up in 12 when I was there last year.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Anthony_JK

Quote from: roadman65 on October 20, 2013, 05:31:48 PM
Great to see some of the missing link to I-220 being taken to complete.  Even if LaDOT does not complete it through the city, at least I-49 can be temporarily routed on the I-220 & LA 3132 beltway and still be a completed freeway between Lafayette and Texarkana.  Heck even if AR does not complete I-49 between Texarkana and I-540 at Van Buren, it can still be signed as such as far north as I-30.

Pretty soon Arkansas will have to allow two different Route 49's within its boundaries because the pressure will be on them when LA completes its freeway in Cado.

IIRC, the plan in the intern for LaDOTD until the ICC is completed is to use I-20 west to I-220, but use LA 3132/I-220 as a temporary bypass for traffic bypassing Shreveport.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Grzrd on October 20, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

Yes, LaDOTD has been consistent on having no other designation other than I-49.

Anthony_JK

LaDOTD has now substansially updated its I-49 South document page to include all the relevant EIS, ROD, and related documentation of the NEPA approval and design process.

http://www.dotd.la.gov/planning/environ/DirListing.aspx?txtPath=/planning/environ/documents/I-49_South

Grzrd

Whether the US 90 interstate upgrade from Lafayette to New Orleans should be designated as I-49 recently came up in this Fictional Highways thread.  FHWA's response to a recent email from me clarifies that "Future I-49" is the administratively approved designation for the entire corridor, and that in regard to a theoretical LaDOTD request to redesignate I-910 as I-49, "FHWA and AASHTO would consider the particulars of the request based on current legislation."

Congress has not assigned a number to High Priority Corridor # 37, but at the request of Louisiana DOT (LaDOTD) the use of "I-49"  has been administratively approved for the corridor.  AASHTO and FHWA administratively approved that U.S. Route 90 from Lafayette to New Orleans be numbered as Future "I-49"  in two separate actions.  In regards to numbering requests, FHWA always defers to the mandates of Congress.  If LaDOTD requested to renumber I-910 as I-49, FHWA and AASHTO would consider the particulars of the request based on current legislation.
Please see the November 6, 1998 and October 1, 1999 AASHTO approvals of future "I-49"  (with FHWA concurrence) at the following links, http://route.transportation.org/Documents/1999-USRN_Cmte.pdf and http://route.transportation.org/Documents/1998-USRN_Cmte.pdf.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thank you for our interest in the Interstate System.

I think the core question they would have to answer is whether MAP-21 would mandate that a LaDOTD redesignation request to I-49 would have to be approved immediately. In other words, since I-910 is a disconnected segment of the "Future I-49" corridor, does MAP-21 set forth a Congressional mandate that a request to redesignate I-910 as I-49 would have to be approved by FHWA and AASHTO?

It's interesting that the first action covered Lafayette to I-310, and then the second action covered I-310 to I-10.

Gordon

Caddo 2014-01-29 H.003495
455-09-0001 LA 3194, I-49 I-49 North (I-220-mlk Drive) Seg K Conc. New Pavement (Seg K) $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 2.06 Umeozulu, Joe      &      Caddo 2014-04-09 H.011111  I-220, I-49 I-49 North, Segment K - Phase 2 New I-49/I-220 Interchange With Roadways to Tie to Seg. J $100,000,000 to $125,000,000 4.03 Umeozulu, Joe , Looks like they have split the last section of I 49 north into 2 contracts. Is that because they cannot decide on the inter connection project thru Shreveport?

PColumbus73

Considering it will likely be signed as I-49, I think Louisiana should sign I-49 as EAST/WEST like Michigan did with I-69

Anthony_JK

Quote from: PColumbus73 on November 04, 2013, 06:58:12 PM
Considering it will likely be signed as I-49, I think Louisiana should sign I-49 as EAST/WEST like Michigan did with I-69

Nope...North/South is adequate, since most of I-49 is N/S, and New Orleans is south of Lafayette. The only double back comes between Morgan City and NOLA.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Gordon on November 04, 2013, 06:10:09 PM
Caddo 2014-01-29 H.003495
455-09-0001 LA 3194, I-49 I-49 North (I-220-mlk Drive) Seg K Conc. New Pavement (Seg K) $30,000,000 to $50,000,000 2.06 Umeozulu, Joe      &      Caddo 2014-04-09 H.011111  I-220, I-49 I-49 North, Segment K - Phase 2 New I-49/I-220 Interchange With Roadways to Tie to Seg. J $100,000,000 to $125,000,000 4.03 Umeozulu, Joe , Looks like they have split the last section of I 49 north into 2 contracts. Is that because they cannot decide on the inter connection project thru Shreveport?

Actually, that interchange was always planned to be phased in, with the direct connections to I-49 North with I-220 to be built now, and the future connections to the I-49 ICC defered to when the latter was ready for construction. That was the plan even before the "Loop It" folks intervened.

pctech

Is DODT planning to overlap U.S. 90 over I-49  in the Lafayette-NOLA corridor? Ie. 49 south/90 east, 49 north/90 west. Assuming it's ever completed of course.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: pctech on November 05, 2013, 10:43:04 AM
Is DODT planning to overlap U.S. 90 over I-49  in the Lafayette-NOLA corridor? Ie. 49 south/90 east, 49 north/90 west. Assuming it's ever completed of course.

Yup, I-49 South will overlay US 90 between Lafayette and Allendale, then take over the Westbank Expressway to downtown NOLA. In Lafayette proper, however, a new freeway (the I-49 Connector) generally overlaying the Evangeline Thruway will carry I-49 South to connect with existing I-49 at its terminus with I-10.

nolia_boi504

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 06, 2013, 12:37:23 AM
Yup, I-49 South will overlay US 90 between Lafayette and Allendale, then take over the Westbank Expressway to downtown NOLA. In Lafayette proper, however, a new freeway (the I-49 Connector) generally overlaying the Evangeline Thruway will carry I-49 South to connect with existing I-49 at its terminus with I-10.

I believe you meant Avondale.

Will I-49 South be designated as "I-49S" similar to I-69E/W/C and I-35E/W, or will it be one continuous I-49 with mile markers starting in NOLA and ending at the Arkansas border?

bassoon1986

It will be signed I-49. It has been called I-49 South to distinguish it from construction happening north of the terminus in Shreveport

Anthony_JK

What bassoon said. "I-49 South" is just the popular moniker used to distinguish the project from the extension from Shreveport northward ("I-49 North").

US71

Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 06, 2013, 04:04:40 PM
What bassoon said. "I-49 South" is just the popular moniker used to distinguish the project from the extension from Shreveport northward ("I-49 North").

Like when I say "540 North" or "540 South" in Arkansas ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Anthony_JK

Quote from: nolia_boi504 on November 06, 2013, 08:45:36 AM
Quote from: Anthony_JK on November 06, 2013, 12:37:23 AM

I believe you meant Avondale.

[...]

Yes, I did. Got confused with the neighborhood in Shreveport. Thanks for the correction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.