News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illiana Corridor progress

Started by Rick Powell, February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: mukade on November 21, 2012, 11:42:44 PM
As for continuing east past I-65 to I-94, I think that would run afoul of the agreement made with ITR, wouldn't it?
Not if it's at enough of a diagonal. Assuming Corridor B3, a straight line drawn from I-65 to I-94 west of Chesterton would be about 20 miles, but only about 15 would be within 10 miles of the Toll Road. That gives another 5 miles of wiggle room before it becomes a "compensation event" that requires a bailout.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

theline

I seems to me that an extension of the freeway to Valpo and to Chesterton via SR-49 could be a winner to the ITR. It could help deliver more EB traffic (especially truck traffic) that might otherwise use US-30, US-6 or US-20.

Brandon

Quote from: theline on November 23, 2012, 03:33:32 PM
I seems to me that an extension of the freeway to Valpo and to Chesterton via SR-49 could be a winner to the ITR. It could help deliver more EB traffic (especially truck traffic) that might otherwise use US-30, US-6 or US-20.

The extension of the Illiana was suggested, and the people toward Valpo shot it down.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

theline

Quote from: Brandon on November 23, 2012, 09:21:30 PM
Quote from: theline on November 23, 2012, 03:33:32 PM

The extension of the Illiana was suggested, and the people toward Valpo shot it down.
NIMBY cretins.

mukade

Illiana Expressway route will get feds' stamp of approval (NWI Times)

There is some good information in the article, but my favorite quote is from a Lowell town councilman:

"There is a huge benefit for us. It won't be something everyone wants. But we have to be involved in our own destiny...."

He also issued a warning of what will happen if local residents and officials are not involved.

"If we are not careful, this will just be an Indiana driveway to the Illinois Tollway"

Rick Powell

mgk920

Revive 755

I recall one of the maps have a park or forest preserve of some sort just east of I-65 at the eastern terminus, so I would probably rule out a direct extension eastward.

As for the west end, I believe there are already plans for commercial (industrial?) developments in the area to the west of the I-55/IL 129 interchange (developments that were counting on the IL 129 interchange being changed to a full access design), so I would probably say a western extension is not going to make it either.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 26, 2013, 05:54:38 PM
I recall one of the maps have a park or forest preserve of some sort just east of I-65 at the eastern terminus, so I would probably rule out a direct extension eastward.

As for the west end, I believe there are already plans for commercial (industrial?) developments in the area to the west of the I-55/IL 129 interchange (developments that were counting on the IL 129 interchange being changed to a full access design), so I would probably say a western extension is not going to make it either.

The only planned development west of the western terminus is a relocated railyard for the loading/unloading of vehicles being shipped by rail from the current intermodal center in Elwood.  That will be accessed via Lorenzo Road (Exit 240) and never relied on a full IL-129 interchange (Exit 238).  It should be easily bridged by any extension.  Now, the existing nuclear power plant (Dresden) may be an issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 26, 2013, 05:54:38 PM

The current alignment of the east end is compatible with a future eastern extension.  The current alignment of the west end will include local access to IL 129 and the Ridgeport development as well as the system movements between I-55 and Illiana, although the geometrics are not finalized in either location.

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on April 17, 2013, 10:45:39 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-illiana-detailed-path-20130417,0,5861511.story

Illinois opposition surfaces

I saw it in the paper this morning.  Bunch of twits, IMHO.  It's the same small vocal group that is anti-airport.  I guess they'd rather have all that traffic, including all the heavy trucks on their surface streets instead.

The no-build option is a no-go with the intermodal centers at the west end of the road in Joliet and Elwood.

Yep and it would have to be Will county paying for those roads because the state cant afford it. We are back to 6 Year Plans like Blago . I will post a link here or one of the Illinois road topic sites when it comes out unless someone beats me to it.

Brandon

Quote from: 3467 on April 17, 2013, 12:38:55 PM
Yep and it would have to be Will county paying for those roads because the state cant afford it. We are back to 6 Year Plans like Blago . I will post a link here or one of the Illinois road topic sites when it comes out unless someone beats me to it.

It's one of the main reason why the Will County Board is supporting the Illiana Expressway.  Either it gets built, or these will be overburdened two-lane roads.

Revive 755

silverback1065

Quote from: Brandon on April 17, 2013, 11:02:52 AM
Quote from: 3467 on April 17, 2013, 10:45:39 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-illiana-detailed-path-20130417,0,5861511.story

Illinois opposition surfaces

I saw it in the paper this morning.  Bunch of twits, IMHO.  It's the same small vocal group that is anti-airport.  I guess they'd rather have all that traffic, including all the heavy trucks on their surface streets instead.

The no-build option is a no-go with the intermodal centers at the west end of the road in Joliet and Elwood.

Their reasons for being against this highway are completely invalid.  Hampering cops and ambulances?  Have they ever heard of overpasses?  Of course some roads will be permanently closed, but a 47 mile fence?  That's absurd, they make it sound like it will literally permanently close all roads that cross the area.  Also their gripe saying kids will be on school buses longer makes no sense at all to me.

Revive 755

Quote from: silverback1065 on June 10, 2013, 09:12:50 AM
Also their gripe saying kids will be on school buses longer makes no sense at all to me.

I thought the use of a road for school buses was often used as a criteria for whether to give a road an overpass?

silverback1065

Quote from: Revive 755 on June 11, 2013, 05:14:54 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on June 10, 2013, 09:12:50 AM
Also their gripe saying kids will be on school buses longer makes no sense at all to me.

I thought the use of a road for school buses was often used as a criteria for whether to give a road an overpass?

I'm just saying using that as an excuse not to build this road is stupid and makes no sense, like I said before they can build overpasses to allow local traffic through.

silverback1065

Quote from: 3467 on July 14, 2013, 03:14:06 PM
http://www.wbez.org/news/lawsuit-targets-planned-illiana-tollway-108038?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+cprmetro+%28WBEZ%27s+Metro+Desk+%29

Sounds like another case of NIMBY, their reasoning looks extremely thin, their idea that they never established a need for the highway is absurd, plus I don't think anyone cares about grass being disturbed.  These lawsuits are a waste of time, they are just holding up the inevitable.  Sounds a lot like I-69 here in Indiana, there are still people thinking they can stop it! 

Purpose and need are important issues for an EIS and it is a national grassland which is important but.....the Illiana doesn't go through it so its a red hering P and N I think tied up 355 for a long time . I think the real motive here isn't the illiana its to prevent a revival of the Prairie Parkway and or an outer belt.....just a hunch

Brandon

3467, I agree.  As far as we in north Will County are concerned, these folks need to be run out on a rail.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.