AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: New York  (Read 1641893 times)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
Re: New York
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »

Does any part of the Long Island Expressway allow for 65 mph since NY adapted the law.  I know that when the 65 mph law was allowed on interstates DE, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, and MA did not allow anything above 55, so this particular interstate never got it then, but since NY implemented the 65 on interstates has at least the Suffolk part of the Expressway allow any part to be 65?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »

I was on Canal St. EB through Ellenville today (Canal and Center are the two-way couplets for NY 52, a unique situation where both roads are signed as 52 in both directions). I noticed that the reference route markers on Canal read "1V01" instead of "1101" - a V instead of a tens digit. That would seem to indicate Center as the main route and Canal as some sort of alternate designation. Also, the eastern end of canal was in the 2V01 range, suggesting a control section reset where the reference markers reappeared. (There were almost none through town that I saw.)

signalman

• It's not the destination, but the trip to/from it

• Last Login: Today at 04:02:21 AM
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »

Does any part of the Long Island Expressway allow for 65 mph since NY adapted the law.  I know that when the 65 mph law was allowed on interstates DE, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, and MA did not allow anything above 55, so this particular interstate never got it then, but since NY implemented the 65 on interstates has at least the Suffolk part of the Expressway allow any part to be 65?

I seem to remember seeing a pic of the LIE with a 65 speed limit sign in the pic.  I don't know where along the highway it was though.  Most likely out in Suffolk County.  Personally, I can't confirm the speed limit on the LIE as I've never been on it.  Hell, I was only out on Long Island once, and I used the Southern State Parkway.  I remember that being posted at 55, but traffic was moving around 70.

empirestate

• Last Login: November 22, 2022, 03:56:23 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2012, 08:37:09 PM »

I was on Canal St. EB through Ellenville today (Canal and Center are the two-way couplets for NY 52, a unique situation where both roads are signed as 52 in both directions). I noticed that the reference route markers on Canal read "1V01" instead of "1101" - a V instead of a tens digit. That would seem to indicate Center as the main route and Canal as some sort of alternate designation. Also, the eastern end of canal was in the 2V01 range, suggesting a control section reset where the reference markers reappeared. (There were almost none through town that I saw.)

Yes, the V is standard for one-way couplets, although Ellenville might be the only place it's actually used. (That might be because couplets are usually found on locally-maintained streets, which don't have reference markers posted.) See http://empirestateroads.com/rm/2.html

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:25 PM »

Yes, the V is standard for one-way couplets, although Ellenville might be the only place it's actually used. (That might be because couplets are usually found on locally-maintained streets, which don't have reference markers posted.) See http://empirestateroads.com/rm/2.html
Well, that would suggest what we've already been saying, that 52 WB officially follows Canal and 52 EB officially follows Center. Even though both directions are signed as the actual route.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2012, 10:51:16 AM »

I seem to remember seeing a pic of the LIE with a 65 speed limit sign in the pic.  I don't know where along the highway it was though.  Most likely out in Suffolk County.  Personally, I can't confirm the speed limit on the LIE as I've never been on it.  Hell, I was only out on Long Island once, and I used the Southern State Parkway.  I remember that being posted at 55, but traffic was moving around 70.
I don't know where you saw it, but I imagine it might've been somewhere east of William Floyd Parkway.

D-Dey65

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:12 PM »

Okay, I mentioned this on this thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=5411.msg145213#msg145213

But I really need an exact year for the demolition of the US 9W-NY 303 one-way interchange.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:40 PM »

I'm not sure how accurate that report is; I-84 was transferred back to NYSDOT, so it can't be a growing burden.  Who knows what other errors could be in the report.

I'm not sure how much raising truck tolls would help.  There are already a lot of shunpiking trucks on NY 5 and NY 31.  Do we really want more of them?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: December 31, 2023, 03:00:12 PM
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 04:01:02 PM »

I'm not sure how accurate that report is; I-84 was transferred back to NYSDOT, so it can't be a growing burden.  Who knows what other errors could be in the report.

You are absolutely correct about I-84.  And there was no mention of the toll barrier that was removed from I-190 either.

I'm not sure how much raising truck tolls would help.  There are already a lot of shunpiking trucks on NY 5 and NY 31.  Do we really want more of them?

Though using the non-freeway alternative (I mean freeway in the sense of functional class, not free of tolls) presumably costs those trucks time (and more wear on brakes, engines, clutches and transmissions).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:34 AM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:46 AM »

Well. One of the last vestiges of the Richmond Parkway extension has met its fate. I passed under the ex-overpasses between Exits 11 and 12, and well, there's nada left of the main overpasses. There are some overpasses left and one ramp, but that's it.

Not used to seeing this scene on the SIE east.

Even sadder shot, considering that you see where the ramps were.

This is one of the few remaining structures, SIE west just after Exit 12 ramp.

This ramp on the SIE Eastbound is still there....for now...(its the only one left)

Related news article on SILive.com: http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/unused_overpasses_nearly_gone.html

Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

D-Dey65

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »

Well. One of the last vestiges of the Richmond Parkway extension has met its fate. I passed under the ex-overpasses between Exits 11 and 12, and well, there's nada left of the main overpasses. There are some overpasses left and one ramp, but that's it.
Now I'm wishing for a nuclear holocaust. NYSDOT has no credibility left. They've gone from Robert Moses types to John Norquist types.

:no: :banghead:

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2012, 06:16:00 PM »

To be fair, the reason the unused interchange is being removed is because the highway that goes through it is being widened and the extra lanes wouldn't fit under the existing ramps.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2012, 09:11:22 PM »

Okay, but it would be great if they revived the ramps, and the road it was intended for. Of course the fact that they "widened" NY 112 from a two-lane undivided highway to a two-lane divided highway from Coram to Port Jefferson Station doesn't leave me with that much faith in them.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

They've gone from Robert Moses types to John Norquist types.
Scumbags to a different type of scumbags?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2012, 11:43:05 PM »

Okay, but it would be great if they revived the ramps, and the road it was intended for. Of course the fact that they "widened" NY 112 from a two-lane undivided highway to a two-lane divided highway from Coram to Port Jefferson Station doesn't leave me with that much faith in them.

In your dreams Dan. The Richmond Parkway extension is never going to happen, and honestly I don't support it. Call me a NIMBY if you want, but it failed, it ain't ever coming back. If NYSDOT needs to remove the abandoned overpasses for a more important, already existing expressway, then it needs to be.
Adam Seth Moss

Lyle

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 04:10:48 PM
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »

Adam, why don't you support it?

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 07:21:25 PM »

To be fair, the reason the unused interchange is being removed is because the highway that goes through it is being widened and the extra lanes wouldn't fit under the existing ramps.
Also, at some point even unused overpasses need maintenance, and why spend money on something like that?

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »

Could have been part of a mountain bike park :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »

It got canned. It isn't coming back. Staten Islanders won't be begging for it either.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

It got canned. It isn't coming back. Staten Islanders won't be begging for it either.
Traffic-wise, it would probably be a net benefit to the state, taking pressure off of I-278, especially coming up Todt Hill. Thing is, without improvements from there into the Verrazano (and I mean more than NYSDOT is currently constructing, at least one more lane each way), you'd still have the bottleneck there. Overall, not really necessary, although would have definitely been nice.

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:48 PM »

Traffic-wise, it would probably be a net benefit to the state, taking pressure off of I-278, especially coming up Todt Hill. Thing is, without improvements from there into the Verrazano (and I mean more than NYSDOT is currently constructing, at least one more lane each way), you'd still have the bottleneck there. Overall, not really necessary, although would have definitely been nice.

I don't question it had net benefits. However, but at least around here, once a proposal is killed, it isn't coming back, as much as people may want it. The Richmond Parkway extension isn't going to be constructed as much as we may dream and hope it might happen. I miss seeing these ramps go, but if its going to get them a net benefit of extra lanes, then so be it.
Adam Seth Moss

Alps

• y u m

• Alps' Roads
« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2012, 07:43:23 PM »

I don't question it had net benefits. However, but at least around here, once a proposal is killed, it isn't coming back, as much as people may want it. The Richmond Parkway extension isn't going to be constructed as much as we may dream and hope it might happen. I miss seeing these ramps go, but if its going to get them a net benefit of extra lanes, then so be it.
Next you'll tell me NJ 85 isn't opening next year.

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »

I was noticing that NY 37 is signed E-W instead of N-S like it should be.  It is so odd that leaving Watertown you have NY 37 EB to the left of US 11 NB with US 11 parting ways from its direction to head East at that point. Then at NY 12's northern terminus you have NY 12 NB end with NY 37 EB to the left and NY 37 WB to the right.  In the North Hills Region everything seems counter logical.

What is even more interesting is that US 11 does run more east and west between Watertown and Rouses Point, that is a distance longer than US 4 runs N-S from East Greenbush to the VT Line.   Yet, NYSDOT made the exception for US 4 not to confuse people and not for US 11 where direction shifts.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2012, 01:40:58 PM »

NY 37 is an east-west Road between Morristown and Covington.  East of Covington it heads south for 20 miles, so how would you sign it?

US 11 is a diagonal between Fort Drum and Canton; it doesn't fully become east-west until Potsdam.

US 4 is entirely north-south in NY; the only portion that could even receive east-west signs without someone laughing is a 6 mile portion east of Whitehall (until Vermont).  Plus it's in Region 1 and US 11 is in quirky Region 7 (also known as the only region that posts exit numbers on both a route's beginning and ending termini, though this won't be obvious until I-781 is completed).

And NY 12 is north-south until Clayton, and even then, continues to move north until Jaques-Cartier State Park (where it turns south for 1/4 mile to meet NY 37).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.