News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

TxDOT Letting, Freeway Standards

Started by wxfree, December 23, 2012, 11:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

I was looking over the TxDOT letting schedule for next year, the current 12-month version from this page: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/general-services/letting/letting-schedule.html  I just recently discovered that those are available.  I have a question about project 0140-03-045; someone here might have some insight.  I may e-mail TxDOT about it.

That project is on I-10 in Pecos County, from 2 miles west of FM 11 to 0.4 miles west of RM 2886.  What intrigues me is the description of the project: "upgrade to freeway standards."  This is along an Interstate, and not a stretch across which there are grade crossings.  Does anyone know what that might refer to?

I've been near that stretch multiple times, going east on I-10 from 2886, but I don't think I've ever been west from there.  I've gone through Google Street View and aerials, and can't find what needs to be upgraded.  They plan on spending about $3,000,000 on the project.  This is about the most freeway-standard road I've ever seen.  Any thoughts?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

My best guess (as one who has followed TxDOT lettings for over ten years now) is that these contracts are designed to remove or revise features which probably complied with standards when first installed but are now considered substandard, such as shoulder width, guardrail length and termination type, provision or otherwise of median cable barrier for medians below a certain cutoff width, length and taper treatment of speed-change lanes, etc.  The typical contract price is rarely more than $500,000 per mile, which buys more than a typical sign rehabilitation contract but is far less expensive than a full-scale rehabilitation job, let alone full-depth reconstruction.

These jobs do not include signing, so I don't have a full plans set for any of them.  We will know more when the one scheduled for the February 2013 letting is uploaded, which will probably be in a week or two.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wxfree

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 24, 2012, 11:00:36 AM
My best guess (as one who has followed TxDOT lettings for over ten years now) is that these contracts are designed to remove or revise features which probably complied with standards when first installed but are now considered substandard, such as shoulder width, guardrail length and termination type, provision or otherwise of median cable barrier for medians below a certain cutoff width, length and taper treatment of speed-change lanes, etc.  The typical contract price is rarely more than $500,000 per mile, which buys more than a typical sign rehabilitation contract but is far less expensive than a full-scale rehabilitation job, let alone full-depth reconstruction.

These jobs do not include signing, so I don't have a full plans set for any of them.  We will know more when the one scheduled for the February 2013 letting is uploaded, which will probably be in a week or two.

Thanks for that answer.  With a bit more searching, I found where these detail are published.  I'd never ventured to that part of the site before.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Road Hog

With the speed limit increased to 80 in that part of the state, I'm guessing TxDOT sees a need to improve safety on that stretch of freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.