Exit 60 off I-76/80 in Youngstown?

Started by jecht, February 04, 2019, 12:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jecht

Question:
I remember I-76 and I-80 switching in Youngstown, and it was always either Exit 15 or Exit 218, depending on the new numbering. But I've seen it on TripTiks and also online sources that said there was an Exit 60. However, coming from EB 76 to Youngstown I never saw Exit  60 (the OH Turnpike). It just said (OH Turnpike).

And does anyone remember how long the abandoned tollbooth was there before they got the interchange added to OH, cough, CH-18? I remember driving by for years and seeing a run-down toll plaza.

Finally I'd love to find an old I-80S sign. :)

coldshoulder

The original Ohio Turnpike Exits were numbered 1 thru 16, from left to right (west to east) across the state; until the change to exit numbers according to mile markers, again with the lowest numbers beginning in the western part of the state, and increasing as you travel east.  So the Youngstown Exit (intersecting with what was then known as 80S) was originally Exit (or Gate)#15, but became Exit #218 when they changed to mile markers.

What used to be 80S west of the Turnpike intersection is, and has been, I-76 for some time now.  Following the same principle as the Turnpike, with exit numbers signifying mile markers going west to east, Google Maps shows on I-76 (picking up from about halfway from Akron eastward towards Youngstown) OH-14 is Exit #43, OH-225 is Exit #48, OH-534 is Exit #54, and Bailey Road is Exit #57.  Continuing further east, the next intersection (the I-80/I-76 split at the Turnpike) is approximately 3 miles, which would make it Exit #60 off I-76 East, although Google Maps does not show it as such.

The abandoned toll booth at the old, original Exit/Gate 15 (for CH-18/Mahoning Ave.; prior to I-80 opening) was there for a long time, but I couldn't tell you for how long or when it was removed.

I've seen a photo or two of an old 80S sign, but can't give you any idea where to actually find one.
You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

jecht

Quote from: coldshoulder on February 15, 2019, 09:57:41 PM
The original Ohio Turnpike Exits were numbered 1 thru 16, from left to right (west to east) across the state; until the change to exit numbers according to mile markers, again with the lowest numbers beginning in the western part of the state, and increasing as you travel east.  So the Youngstown Exit (intersecting with what was then known as 80S) was originally Exit (or Gate)#15, but became Exit #218 when they changed to mile markers.

What used to be 80S west of the Turnpike intersection is, and has been, I-76 for some time now.  Following the same principle as the Turnpike, with exit numbers signifying mile markers going west to east, Google Maps shows on I-76 (picking up from about halfway from Akron eastward towards Youngstown) OH-14 is Exit #43, OH-225 is Exit #48, OH-534 is Exit #54, and Bailey Road is Exit #57.  Continuing further east, the next intersection (the I-80/I-76 split at the Turnpike) is approximately 3 miles, which would make it Exit #60 off I-76 East, although Google Maps does not show it as such.

The abandoned toll booth at the old, original Exit/Gate 15 (for CH-18/Mahoning Ave.; prior to I-80 opening) was there for a long time, but I couldn't tell you for how long or when it was removed.

I've seen a photo or two of an old 80S sign, but can't give you any idea where to actually find one.

Thank you so much! I've seen on the internet that it was Exit 60, and I remember when it was Gate 15 back as far as 1993-94 when I first started roadgeeking as a 10-year-old, but we got TripTiks that stated the 76/80 merge was Exit 15/60 (and I got the milage thing back then). Like going eastbound on 76 I never saw an "Exit 60" sign for the Turnpike.

On the other hand, there was an Exit 42 sign for the turnpike off of I-480E at Streetsboro and that segment of the Turnpike.

thenetwork

Quote from: jecht on February 04, 2019, 12:42:26 AM
Question:

And does anyone remember how long the abandoned tollbooth was there before they got the interchange added to OH, cough, CH-18? I remember driving by for years and seeing a run-down toll plaza.

The abandoned tollbooth was still in place as late as the mid 80's.  However, I do not know if they stood until they began to redo the old interchange for the redesigned Exit 15/218 with the tie-in to CR-18 in the 90s.

PurdueBill

One last standing relic of 80S finally disappeared within the last couple years; the postmile at a bridge eastbound seen here in a 2014 street view is now gone.  (It read SUM 80S 1633 or something close to that in the last digit before doctoring; the new postmile reads SUM 76 1633 and is not affixed to the concrete bridge pier but is on its own post.)

I am glad I got a photo of it when I did, years ago; I sent it to Steve and it is on his I-76 page.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.