News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

NY has some of the metric speed limit signs.  NY 812 has one on the bridge to Canada, and the northern end of US 11 has them as well.
http://nysroads.com/photos.php?route=ny812&state=NY&file=100_6498.JPG
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Other examples:

US 97 near Oroville, Washington (hard conversion:  60 mph = 100 km/h)

US 40 in Steamboat Springs, Colorado (hard conversion:  40 mph = 65 km/h)

I-19 in Arizona was also supposed to be dual-posted with customary and metric speeds on both speed limit and advisory speed signs.  For the speed limits at least, these would have been soft-converted (55 mph = 88 km/h), though I think advisory speeds would have been hard-converted.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

riiga

There were dual-unit signs in some places in Florida in the late 80s, but I don't know the location.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on February 09, 2018, 10:43:59 AM
Quote from: TBKS1 on February 09, 2018, 01:17:02 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.1141922,-103.1178707,3a,15y,108.9h,87.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNOUzvyZN86icn6GuljejyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I find this weird because it's not very close to the Canada border. This is in Rapid City, South Dakota.

I haven't been to the Dakotas, but it's also unusual to find a regulatory speed limit sign on a ramp.

But at what point does that road cease being an off-ramp, and become Hwy 1416? Google Maps says Gate Road, but in my experience, at Y-junctions, they can often start the moment after the roadway diverges from the prior roadway. In this particular case, I'm fine with the speed limit placement.

freebrickproductions

I want to say that I remember seeing a picture where ALDOT experimented with dual imperial/metric signage on AL 255 back in the 70s.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Eth

Quote from: freebrickproductions on February 09, 2018, 02:15:45 PM
I want to say that I remember seeing a picture where ALDOT experimented with dual imperial/metric signage on AL 255 back in the 70s.

I don't recall any speed limit signage, but there were kilometer-posts(?) along with the mileposts on US 431 in southeast Alabama in the 1990s.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Eth on February 09, 2018, 02:43:33 PM
I don't recall any speed limit signage, but there were kilometer-posts(?) along with the mileposts on US 431 in southeast Alabama in the 1990s.

You mean like these?

I assume they're from Alabama, anyway, since that's what came written on the back of two of them, like this:

I acquired them a few years ago from a seller on eBay who said the signs were from Alabama (so far, the story lines up ;-)). He didn't say exactly which route they came from, though.

Eth

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 09, 2018, 04:51:22 PM

You mean like these?

Yep, that's exactly what they looked like. That date of 2005 on the back sounds a little late (I think these were probably gone by the early 2000s), but maybe they were on a different road (we took the standard US 431/231 Atlanta-to-the-Panhandle route, so I don't know which others, if any, had them).

jwolfer

Quote from: riiga on February 09, 2018, 01:11:20 PM
There were dual-unit signs in some places in Florida in the late 80s, but I don't know the location.

In 1981 they we're everywhere around Jacksonville and Gainesville on state roads, and as far as I understand statewide. I was 11 year old road geek riding around all summer with my Granny visiting relatives and friends, so it sticks in my mind. (We we're supposed to switch to metric around 1980, so it may have been part of that)

By 1990 when I came to UNF in  Jacksonville for college, there were few remaining, mostly on roads that were turned over to County or City

Z981

Max Rockatansky

Found this CA 180 on Alta Avenue while following the Blossom Trail today.  I thought it kind of looked like some of the Santa Clara sourced CA 130 shields I posted up thread.  I'd love to have this one in my collection, I'm surprised it was located where it was.

180CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Incidentally all the Blossom Trail signs are just straight vinyl.  Surprisingly them seem to be holding up over time extremely well, a lot of them have reddish color fade which tells me they have been present for several years.

Michael

I found this sign salad near Utica, NY.  Instead of being blue like they should be, the signs are green.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Do the green signs mean that it's a moldy sign salad?

hbelkins

Quote from: Michael on February 11, 2018, 08:01:46 PM
I found this sign salad near Utica, NY.  Instead of being blue like they should be, the signs are green.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Do the green signs mean that it's a moldy sign salad?

Those are a lot worse than the Cuomo signs. Where's the FHWA's outrage?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2018, 08:26:26 PM
Quote from: Michael on February 11, 2018, 08:01:46 PM

Those are a lot worse than the Cuomo signs. Where's the FHWA's outrage?

I'm sure it's a one-off. It's the definition of "not worth the time".

BamaZeus

Quote from: Eth on February 09, 2018, 04:57:16 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 09, 2018, 04:51:22 PM

You mean like these?

Yep, that's exactly what they looked like. That date of 2005 on the back sounds a little late (I think these were probably gone by the early 2000s), but maybe they were on a different road (we took the standard US 431/231 Atlanta-to-the-Panhandle route, so I don't know which others, if any, had them).

20/59 had them for sure.  I want to say all the interstates had them, but I don't know for sure.

Max Rockatansky

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

GenExpwy

adventurernumber1

Quote from: TBKS1 on February 13, 2018, 12:44:02 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 12, 2018, 11:53:10 PM
Found this "I-94" shield on eBay, needless to say the design falls under the interesting category:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Interstate-I-94-Red-and-Blue-Shield-Highway-Sign-Error/263491169894?hash=item3d594c2e66:g:G1IAAOSwEYBagJDS

Interstate Interstate 94.

While they're at it, perhaps they should have made it a state-name interstate shield by putting NORTH DAKOTA at the top, then in a smaller font right below that, a N.D.  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

This sign is north of the CA 41/CA 145 junction.  The design is pretty unique and I can't recall another California Highway that had the route name displayed on a sign like this.

0 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

vdeane

No idea where this one came from, but "incoming traffic" makes me feel like the cars are missiles or something.
https://me.me/i/stop-incoming-traffic-does-not-stop-none-19697655
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

I thought I might've mentioned the reversed colors "Wrong Way" sign in Patchogue on another thread, but just in case nobody ever saw the link here...

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wrong_Way_Reversed_Colors_sign(Patchogue,_New_York).JPG

TBKS1

I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on February 17, 2018, 06:53:40 PMNo idea where this one came from, but "incoming traffic" makes me feel like the cars are missiles or something.

https://me.me/i/stop-incoming-traffic-does-not-stop-none-19697655

I like the scribbled comment on the stop sign.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Michael

While playing GeoGuessr earlier, I came across this weird sign on a span wire in Ohio.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Has anyone else seen such a thing and is it a possibly legal requirement in Ohio?

jakeroot

Quote from: Michael on February 21, 2018, 08:44:28 PM
While playing GeoGuessr earlier, I came across this weird sign on a span wire in Ohio.  I've never seen anything like it before.  Has anyone else seen such a thing and is it a possibly legal requirement in Ohio?

Is it a common sign in Ohio? Or is this just a one-off?

I can say for sure that I've never seen that sign where I spend my time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.