News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Singles or albums?

Started by bandit957, February 06, 2019, 11:26:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Which did you buy in your day?

I usually buyed singles, because they were the people's medium. But Men At Work had a couple great albums.

Usually, however, I liked the album version of a song better, but not enough to buy a whole album.

I also remember buying brand new singles but they always skipped on a small record player we had, which played really old singles just fine.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

Albums until most records stores in my area stopped carrying vinyl in favor of cassettes by the late 80s. 

bandit957

One of the first 45's I had was "Rubber Biscuit." But I've never been able to find the parody that a local radio station made called "Rubber Baseball."

abefroman329

I really didn't buy music much at all until college, and I was more likely to spend the extra money on the entire album vs. buying the single.

Quote from: bandit957 on February 06, 2019, 11:40:56 AMOne of the first 45's I had was "Rubber Biscuit."
The Blues Brothers version?

bandit957

hbelkins

Albums. I only bought singles if they had some obscure non-album or live track as the B-side, or if it was a song that I liked but didn't like the album, or the artist in general. Prime example: "Beat It" by Michael Jackson. I'm definitely not a fan of his, but that may be the best guitar solo Eddie Van Halen ever did. I wouldn't have been caught dead buying the "Thriller" album, but EVH made that song listenable. I also think there was a Michael Jackson/Mick Jagger collaboration in that era, and "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins/Phillip Bailey. Also, the studio version of "Chip Away The Stone" by Aerosmith that wasn't available on an album for years after it was released as a single. I may have even bought "Come Together' because I wasn't going to shell out the $$$ for the "Sgt. Pepper" soundtrack.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 12:04:11 PMI'm definitely not a fan of his, but that may be the best guitar solo Eddie Van Halen ever did.
I thought it was interesting that David Bowie countered by asking Stevie Ray Vaughn to play guitar on Let's Dance.
Quote from: hbelkins on February 06, 2019, 12:04:11 PMI may have even bought "Come Together' because I wasn't going to shell out the $$$ for the "Sgt. Pepper" soundtrack.
And I wasn't going to buy the Godzilla soundtrack just to hear "Air" by Ben Folds Five, but luckily they included it on the re-released Whatever and Ever Amen from a few years ago.

kphoger

I've never bought a single.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dlsterner

Mostly albums.  And back when they were 33 1/3 rpm vinyl LP's.  I would usually like enough of the album to make it a better deal than buying the 45.

Scott5114

When I was growing up, everything was on CD, so you didn't really have much of a choice in the matter; you were getting the album.

Now, it kind of depends. If all I know about an artist is that I like one particular song of theirs, I'll just buy the single. If it's an artist I like that has the song I want, I'm more likely to buy the album. Although really 99% of the music-buying in the house is my wife's doing, and I just nick the files I want from her.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I have always bought primarily albums. Still do. The last single I bought was a Springsteen 45 I picked up on eBay a few years ago to get a non-album B-side that, at the time, hadn't been released on any album in its studio version.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 07, 2019, 12:46:32 AM
When I was growing up, everything was on CD, so you didn't really have much of a choice in the matter; you were getting the album.

Now, it kind of depends. If all I know about an artist is that I like one particular song of theirs, I'll just buy the single. If it's an artist I like that has the song I want, I'm more likely to buy the album. Although really 99% of the music-buying in the house is my wife's doing, and I just nick the files I want from her.
Really, it's better now with digital downloads.  Before, you could only buy copies of recordings of songs the record company released as singles.  Now, you can buy a digital copy of a recording of virtually any song on a particular album.

ET21

I used to preview the albums on streaming now to see if it would be worth buying it. If there was only one song I liked, I'd search to see if it was a single.

Nowadays with Spotify I just listen entirely through streaming unless it's an album I really want to have on CD or vinyl. But as abefroman329 mentioned, it's really easy now to just buy a single song from an album
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

bandit957

One thing is for sure: Radio pretty much has no influence these days. In my day, radio was one of the biggest influences as to what songs became hits.

ET21

Quote from: bandit957 on February 07, 2019, 10:03:45 AM
One thing is for sure: Radio pretty much has no influence these days. In my day, radio was one of the biggest influences as to what songs became hits.

Work pretty much is where I listen to radio the most. I catch some newer songs every once in a while to play on Spotify. All my listening is through my phone whether it's podcasts or streaming
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 07, 2019, 09:36:25 AM

Really, it's better now with digital downloads.  Before, you could only buy copies of recordings of songs the record company released as singles.  Now, you can buy a digital copy of a recording of virtually any song on a particular album.

On the flip side -- no pun intended -- there are a number of digital tunes that aren't available individually, but only as part of an album.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2019, 03:06:36 PM

On the flip side -- no pun intended -- there are a number of digital tunes that aren't available individually, but only as part of an album.
Yes, this is true (and annoying), but it's still probably a net positive.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ClassicHasClass

Albums, but I consider myself an old soul in an increasingly old body.

Mark68

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 07, 2019, 07:10:00 PM
Albums, but I consider myself an old soul in an increasingly old body.

The same for me. On all counts.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 07, 2019, 03:13:22 PM

Yes, this is true (and annoying), but it's still probably a net positive.

I interpret this as the seller declining to accept my money and proceed accordingly.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

I notice Apple for instance generally doesn't make songs over 10 minutes available individually. I've never been sure why, unless they think a song of that length is worth more money than $1.29.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

abefroman329

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 07, 2019, 10:57:26 PM

I notice Apple for instance generally doesn't make songs over 10 minutes available individually. I've never been sure why, unless they think a song of that length is worth more money than $1.29.
I hadn't noticed a correlation between song length and whether it's an album-only track.  I've seen some albums where nearly all of the tracks are (a) album-only and (b) short.  I just figured it had something to do with the position of the owner(s) of the rights to the recording.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2019, 08:53:06 AM
I have always bought primarily albums. Still do. The last single I bought was a Springsteen 45 I picked up on eBay a few years ago to get a non-album B-side that, at the time, hadn't been released on any album in its studio version.

Which Springsteen B-side was it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.