News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Connecticut News

Started by Mergingtraffic, October 28, 2009, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Couldn't help but notice this big 3M trailer outside of the Connecticut DOT Headquarters in Newington today! Hmmm!  :hmmm:

kurumi

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 21, 2018, 09:25:33 PM
Couldn't help but notice this big 3M trailer outside of the Connecticut DOT Headquarters in Newington today! Hmmm!  :hmmm:

To save money, in light of the transition to mileage-based exit numbers, all sequentially numbered exit tabs will be on giant post-its.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

KEVIN_224

Ha ha!! It looked like it was an exhibition of some sorts. Some office workers were walking back to the building from that as I was walking by on the Berlin Turnpike southbound...on the other side.

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 21, 2018, 10:17:46 PM
Ha ha!! It looked like it was an exhibition of some sorts. Some office workers were walking back to the building from that as I was walking by on the Berlin Turnpike southbound...on the other side.
"This is what we use now instead of demountable copy." "I don't trust it"

KEVIN_224

http://www.courant.com/community/middletown/hc-news-middletown-route-9-miller-bridge-20180504-story.html

An interesting story about Miller and Bridge Streets in the far north end of Middletown. They are largely cut off due to a train crossing, with busy (and quite dangerous) CT Route 9 their only legal way in and out from these two streets. You see these two streets from CT Route 9 South on the right, partially under the Arrigoni Bridge.

shadyjay

Just drove I-95 from Old Saybrook out to the RI state line to check on the progress of the sign replacement project from Exits 86-93.  New ground-mount BGS to report, mostly from Exits 89-93.  New speed limits and reassurance shields (using the smaller numerals, no state name, and proper color on the directionals).  Only mile marker replacements are SB.  Limited work on new foundations for the overheads.  No new primary BGSs for Exit 88 yet (those are going overhead).

A few pics here, more on my FLICKR page...

DSC09896 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

DSC09912 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

DSC09923 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

DSC09935 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And the rest...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157659006078550/with/41689311324/

roadman

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 21, 2018, 10:17:46 PM
That's exactly what it is.  They've been making the rounds of the New England states for the past couple of weeks.  They usually set up at the nearest 3M building - such as when they were in Methuen, MA.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 30, 2018, 09:49:33 AM
Something seems slightly off with the CT Route 372 shield here. It's at the New Britain/Berlin town line, as Corbin Avenue of New Britain ends and splits off to the right to start Farmington Avenue of Berlin.

These signs recently replaced a VERY ancient big green sign pointing to staying left to head towards CT Route 9 South. The sign was so old that you could see the sun fade for what was "TO CT 72 EAST".

Was that old sign reflective button copy?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

abqtraveler

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 30, 2018, 09:49:33 AM
Something seems slightly off with the CT Route 372 shield here. It's at the New Britain/Berlin town line, as Corbin Avenue of New Britain ends and splits off to the right to start Farmington Avenue of Berlin.

These signs recently replaced a VERY ancient big green sign pointing to staying left to head towards CT Route 9 South. The sign was so old that you could see the sun fade for what was "TO CT 72 EAST".

The Route 372 sign looks like a Massachusetts-style route sign.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

JJBers

Quote from: shadyjay on May 28, 2018, 01:12:09 PM
Just drove I-95 from Old Saybrook out to the RI state line to check on the progress of the sign replacement project from Exits 86-93.  New ground-mount BGS to report, mostly from Exits 89-93.  New speed limits and reassurance shields (using the smaller numerals, no state name, and proper color on the directionals).  Only mile marker replacements are SB.  Limited work on new foundations for the overheads.  No new primary BGSs for Exit 88 yet (those are going overhead).

DSC09896 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

DSC09912 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

DSC09935 by Jay Hogan, on Flickr

And the rest...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157659006078550/with/41689311324/
I just went through that area on April 18 and it hadn't been replaced. That was quick.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

KEVIN_224

I saw "Exit 89" and "Allyn St"...almost thought it was CT Route 15 in Hartford! OK, that's a stretch, but...

All of those signs were in place when I went through there southbound the evening of Wednesday, May 23rd.

shadyjay

So just browsed the upcoming projects scheduled for advertising on the ConnDOT web site, and a couple "postponed" projects are back on the roster...

2018/09/19
Relocation and reconfigure Interchange 29, I-91 Northbound, Hartford

2019/01/19
Operational lanes, Interstate 84, West Hartford

Sign projects include I-84 Exits 40-56, CT 8 - I-95 to Shelton, CT 9 Exit 25-I-84 incl CT 72, and CT 9 Exits 18-24 incl SSR 571 & CT 15.

Also, a couple of railroad station projects back on the list:  Clinton upgrades (SLE) and Merritt 7 (MN/Danbury). 

Nice to see all of these projects back on the roster, especially I-91 NB Exit 29.  IIRC, the plan was to convert it to a left-hand exit with an easier grade.  Hopefully an exit only lane and perhaps an "option" lane, meaning an APL would be applicable.  Guess we'll find out come September.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on June 11, 2018, 11:01:09 PM
So just browsed the upcoming projects scheduled for advertising on the ConnDOT web site, and a couple "postponed" projects are back on the roster...

2018/09/19
Relocation and reconfigure Interchange 29, I-91 Northbound, Hartford

2019/01/19
Operational lanes, Interstate 84, West Hartford

Sign projects include I-84 Exits 40-56, CT 8 - I-95 to Shelton, CT 9 Exit 25-I-84 incl CT 72, and CT 9 Exits 18-24 incl SSR 571 & CT 15.

Also, a couple of railroad station projects back on the list:  Clinton upgrades (SLE) and Merritt 7 (MN/Danbury). 

Nice to see all of these projects back on the roster, especially I-91 NB Exit 29.  IIRC, the plan was to convert it to a left-hand exit with an easier grade.  Hopefully an exit only lane and perhaps an "option" lane, meaning an APL would be applicable.  Guess we'll find out come September.

I still say CT "the land of steady habits" just still can't let go of left exits. I still don't see why they can't just keep it a right exit and move I-91 mainline over to the left more and you'll have room for a longer right hand exit.

The same with CT-9 in Middletown....CT-9 NB will have left exit and entrances if the new plan comes to fruition.  Keep the exits on the right.  The mainline is on the right to make room for the left exits and entrances so just reverse it to have the mainline closer to the SB lanes and have the exits on the right.

as with the signing projects will CT-15 lose any BGS signs with the new project around CT-9.  It seems CT likes to skimp out on BGSs when they can.  Examples include the Corbin Ave/Farmington Ave BGS in Berlin is now a pair of shields and the old "Hospital Exit 35" BGS (BBS) sign on I-84 WB is now a large blue sign.

KEVIN_224

http://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-hartford-line-opens-20180615-story.html

The CT Rail project opened on Saturday between New Haven and Springfield, MA. I posted it here, since it's directly connected with ConnDOT. It will be posted in one other section at this forum, too.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 12, 2018, 02:24:56 PMI still say CT "the land of steady habits" just still can't let go of left exits. I still don't see why they can't just keep it a right exit and move I-91 mainline over to the left more and you'll have room for a longer right hand exit.

Keep in mind that they're threading the needle of I-91 and Route 15 through space that has a rail line backed by commercial properties on the west, and a hazmat entombment site backed by commercial/industrial properties on the east.  They also need to address the weave for northbound traffic on the Charter Oak Bridge -- traffic from I-91 needs to stay left to continue on to I-84, while a significant share of the of the traffic from Route 15 seeks to exit onto Route 2.

If you impose the requirement for right-hand exits and entrances only, you either get a lot more expense, or you have to start asking which other goal gets sacrificed.

And if you consider the possibility of I-84 being shut down through Hartford for a time when the Aetna Viaduct comes up for replacement...the Charter Oak Bridge becomes very important as a likely detour route, making the goals they are hoping to accomplish that much more critical.

If this were a project to build new roads through mostly open space, I'd expect them to do it per standards, with only right-hand entrances and exits.  But it's not, so we're left with looking for the least-bad alternatives.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 17, 2018, 09:24:02 AM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 12, 2018, 02:24:56 PMI still say CT "the land of steady habits" just still can't let go of left exits. I still don't see why they can't just keep it a right exit and move I-91 mainline over to the left more and you'll have room for a longer right hand exit.

Keep in mind that they're threading the needle of I-91 and Route 15 through space that has a rail line backed by commercial properties on the west, and a hazmat entombment site backed by commercial/industrial properties on the east.  They also need to address the weave for northbound traffic on the Charter Oak Bridge -- traffic from I-91 needs to stay left to continue on to I-84, while a significant share of the of the traffic from Route 15 seeks to exit onto Route 2.

If you impose the requirement for right-hand exits and entrances only, you either get a lot more expense, or you have to start asking which other goal gets sacrificed.

And if you consider the possibility of I-84 being shut down through Hartford for a time when the Aetna Viaduct comes up for replacement...the Charter Oak Bridge becomes very important as a likely detour route, making the goals they are hoping to accomplish that much more critical.

If this were a project to build new roads through mostly open space, I'd expect them to do it per standards, with only right-hand entrances and exits.  But it's not, so we're left with looking for the least-bad alternatives.
Why is the crossover between I-91 and CT 15 necessary? Why couldn't they just do four carriageways (I-91 on the outer carriageways, CT 15 on the inner). It appears as though that design would have saved space.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 17, 2018, 02:18:42 PM
Why is the crossover between I-91 and CT 15 necessary? Why couldn't they just do four carriageways (I-91 on the outer carriageways, CT 15 on the inner). It appears as though that design would have saved space.

The 4-carriageway arrangement is essentially what exists today at the I-91/Route 15 interchange (Exit 29/86).

If you were reacting to the weave...that was a reference to traffic patterns on the Charter Oak Bridge.

Today, northbound traffic on Route 15 travels the two (thru) left lanes on the bridge, while traffic entering from I-91 is placed into the right lane.  At the north end of the bridge, the right lane is exit-only for Exit 90 for Route 2.

Bridge traffic that entered from I-91 is mostly headed towards eastbound I-84.  Those vehicles must change lanes to the left while crossing the bridge to stay on Route 15.

Bridge traffic that is through from Route 15 includes a moderate volume of traffic headed towards eastbound Route 2.  Once on the bridge, they have to shift right to get to the exit lane, while dodging semis that are trying to shift left, and which are moving slowly due to the heavy traffic and the steep grade to get up to the bridge.

Thus we have a weave.

Part of the Exit 29 project would reverse the situation on the bridge, with bridge traffic from I-91 being placed into the thru lanes, while bridge traffic from Route 15 are placed into a new lane, and the exit-only lane for Exit 90 (Route 2).  There would still be a little weaving, but nothing like exists today.

Adding an additional carriageway/building a parallel span would presumably permit the situation to be improved further...but presumably the cost would be prohibitive.

Mergingtraffic

Noticed a widening project on I-95 at the old CT-34 left exit 47 in New Haven which I never noticed before.  According to Historic Aerials...in 1966, there were only 3-thru lanes past the CT-34 left exit NB.  In 2004, before the interchange reconfiguration, there were 4-thru lanes and the exit 47 left exit deceleration lane was extended across Canal Dock Rd. In 1966, you had to cross Canal Dock Rd then get into a short decel lane to the exit. The 4th thru lane was extended NB to I-91 at some point.

In 1966, the bridges over Canal Dock Rd were closer together in 1966 than 2004. 

it also looks like the ramp from I-91 to I-95 SB was also originally two-lanes. By 2004, it was striped as just one.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

kurumi

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 18, 2018, 07:20:06 PM
Noticed a widening project on I-95 at the old CT-34 left exit 47 in New Haven which I never noticed before.  According to Historic Aerials...in 1966, there were only 3-thru lanes past the CT-34 left exit NB.  In 2004, before the interchange reconfiguration, there were 4-thru lanes and the exit 47 left exit deceleration lane was extended across Canal Dock Rd. In 1966, you had to cross Canal Dock Rd then get into a short decel lane to the exit. The 4th thru lane was extended NB to I-91 at some point.

In 1966, the bridges over Canal Dock Rd were closer together in 1966 than 2004. 

it also looks like the ramp from I-91 to I-95 SB was also originally two-lanes. By 2004, it was striped as just one.

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

That's some good detective work.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ipeters61

Quote from: shadyjay on May 28, 2018, 01:12:09 PM
So glad to see my home state getting a real welcome sign for once.  I always found the original "Connecticut Welcomes You" signs to be way too boring.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

RobbieL2415

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on June 17, 2018, 08:38:03 PM
Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 17, 2018, 02:18:42 PM

The 4-carriageway arrangement is essentially what exists today at the I-91/Route 15 interchange (Exit 29/86).

If you were reacting to the weave...that was a reference to traffic patterns on the Charter Oak Bridge.

Today, northbound traffic on Route 15 travels the two (thru) left lanes on the bridge, while traffic entering from I-91 is placed into the right lane.  At the north end of the bridge, the right lane is exit-only for Exit 90 for Route 2.

Bridge traffic that entered from I-91 is mostly headed towards eastbound I-84.  Those vehicles must change lanes to the left while crossing the bridge to stay on Route 15.

Bridge traffic that is through from Route 15 includes a moderate volume of traffic headed towards eastbound Route 2.  Once on the bridge, they have to shift right to get to the exit lane, while dodging semis that are trying to shift left, and which are moving slowly due to the heavy traffic and the steep grade to get up to the bridge.

Thus we have a weave.

Part of the Exit 29 project would reverse the situation on the bridge, with bridge traffic from I-91 being placed into the thru lanes, while bridge traffic from Route 15 are placed into a new lane, and the exit-only lane for Exit 90 (Route 2).  There would still be a little weaving, but nothing like exists today.

Adding an additional carriageway/building a parallel span would presumably permit the situation to be improved further...but presumably the cost would be prohibitive.
But why couldn't they just sink CT 15 in between I-91 all the way down to the water treatment plant, instead of having CT 15 to the east of I-91?

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 19, 2018, 03:49:24 PM
But why couldn't they just sink CT 15 in between I-91 all the way down to the water treatment plant, instead of having CT 15 to the east of I-91?

I'm not certain if this is the actual reason, but I'm going to guess that the combination of expense and the need to keep traffic flowing through the interchanges while keeping all of the roads and the interchanges open probably play a role.

If they were building from scratch and land acquisition weren't an issue, there's  probably no question that ConnDOT would have designed the interchanges differently given knowledge that the original beltway plans would never come to fruition.

dvferyance

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 02, 2018, 05:03:57 PM
Apologize for the double post, but it looks like tolls are dead in CT for this legislative session.

https://patch.com/connecticut/greenwich/fate-tolls-ct-grows-clearer
Don't be fooled they are coming. Just not right now. I am sure the bill will be back in 2019. The state is broke the tolls are coming back the only question is when.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: dvferyance on June 23, 2018, 06:26:37 PM
Apologize for the double post, but it looks like tolls are dead in CT for this legislative session.

Don't be fooled they are coming. Just not right now. I am sure the bill will be back in 2019. The state is broke the tolls are coming back the only question is when.

It's all based on the outcome of the 2018 elections.  Right now the Legislature is 79-72 Democrats while the State Senate is 18-18 (Democrat Lieutenant Gov breaks ties).  If Lamont aka Malloy 2.0 is elected, it's a foregone conclusion unless the house is flipped for the first time in many years.

Removed unnecessary politics
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

dvferyance

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 24, 2018, 03:37:38 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on June 23, 2018, 06:26:37 PM

It's all based on the outcome of the 2018 elections.  Right now the Legislature is 79-72 Democrats while the State Senate is 18-18 (Democrat Lieutenant Gov breaks ties).  If Lamont aka Malloy 2.0 is elected, it's a foregone conclusion unless the house is flipped for the first time in many years.
I hate to get too political here but all I keep hearing is this year there is a blue wave coming. Also factor Connecticut is one of the bluest states in the nation. I find it interesting though the law makers put it on hold until after the election are they really afraid of losing? I don't see any other solution at this point. It feels kind of odd I-95 having service plazas not being a toll road. Bringing the tolls back would make sense. Sure the 1983 tragedy was very unfortunate but it's like saying we will never build any more skyscrapers becasue of 911.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.