News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Welcome to Alaska Sign

Started by DevalDragon, September 11, 2013, 02:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

I will be visiting Alaska during the first week of December. Where can I find a/the typical big "Welcome to Alaska" road sign? I hope I don't have to drive all the way out to the Canadian Border.

My plan is to fly into Anchorage and rent a car.

agentsteel53

the only one I know of is at the Canadian border on the AlCan.  I'll bet there's one on the northern crossing (AK-5), but I have no idea about air/water entry.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 11, 2013, 02:28:28 PM
the only one I know of is at the Canadian border on the AlCan.  I'll bet there's one on the northern crossing (AK-5), but I have no idea about air/water entry.

There are other border crossings as well, but even more distant than the Alaska Highway crossing.

I would not be shocked if there's one at the Anchorage airport.  I've been there several times and don't remember seeing one, but then I wasn't looking for one either. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

Quote from: oscar on September 11, 2013, 02:34:39 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 11, 2013, 02:28:28 PM

There are other border crossings as well, but even more distant than the Alaska Highway crossing.

I would not be shocked if there's one at the Anchorage airport.  I've been there several times and don't remember seeing one, but then I wasn't looking for one either. 

There is, inside the terminal. We stopped for a few minutes there taking multiple pictures. It's not a road sign, but given the distances involved, to me it's a more than satisfactory substitute.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dave1013

This thread caught my eye.  I have some things to say about Welcome to Alaska signs - at least as they relate to Southcoast Region border crossings.

I put everything in a Powerpoint located here.

Any questions - give a shout. 

Enjoy!
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

kkt

Neat, thanks for posting!  Nice to see some borders are still as casual as the 49th Parallel used to be.

nexus73

Beautiful country views!  Reminds me somewhat of Oregon.  Thanks for the PP presentation link.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

dave1013

kkt and nexus, go back and reload the PPT.  I had posted the one I did for Hyder on the Welcome thread.
Traffic and Safety Engineer - Alaska DOT&PF - Southcoast Region - Juneau, Alaska

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of Alaska DOT&PF or the State of Alaska

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.