News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oregon bill set to tackle "left lane hogs"

Started by OCGuy81, April 28, 2015, 01:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Just got sent this article from a friend up in Portland! Apparently there is a bill to crack down on slow drivers in the left hand lane.

I see this being hard to enforce, but I'm all for it.  Of course, in California, going slow in the left lane is likely to get you, at the very least, the middle finger.   :D

Oregon left-lane hogs beware: Your days of puttering along in a highway's "fast lane" without worrying about getting a traffic ticket appear to be numbered.

A bill designating the left lane on interstate and state highways for passing only just made it through the state House, with its sponsors optimistic about the proposal's chances in the Senate.

http://www.oregonlive.com/commuting/index.ssf/2015/04/oregon_left_lane_hogs_banned_b.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Henry

I think this should be the law anyway. After all, slower traffic must stay in the right lane.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

KEK Inc.

It's already the law.  It's just not enforced.
Take the road less traveled.

SignGeek101

Pete from Boston

I thought left-lane hogs were the people that recklessly tailgate those passing because they'd prefer to do 25mph over the limit.

Bickendan

The comments in the Oregonian article... *facepalm* It's like m.t.r all over again.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 28, 2015, 02:19:18 PM
I thought left-lane hogs were the people that recklessly tailgate those passing because they'd prefer to do 25mph over the limit.

You've never driven in Oregon.  heh

Pete from Boston

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 28, 2015, 10:22:00 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 28, 2015, 02:19:18 PM

You've never driven in Oregon.  heh

I haven't.  They don't have people trying to do 80 in a 55 and taking it out on whoever is in the left lane?

Bickendan

No, we have people riding obliviously in the left lane doing 64 in a 65, passing a semi in the right lane doing 60. Or getting passed by the semi on the right doing 66 because that semi driver has a lead foot.

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 28, 2015, 02:06:38 PM
It's already the law.  It's just not enforced.

They might have a law. But like BC (formerly), it's probably not clear enough for police to be able to do any reasonable enforcement.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Bickendan on April 29, 2015, 11:08:00 AM
No, we have people riding obliviously in the left lane doing 64 in a 65, passing a semi in the right lane doing 60. Or getting passed by the semi on the right doing 66 because that semi driver has a lead foot.

I do get it, everywhere has those.  However, the left lane is ultimately the place for the 64-mph vehicle passing the right-lane 60-mph semi, as long as that vehicle completes the pass.  The problem is (and yes, I know that this is one of the Great Eternal Debates that never ends) is that too often there's some clown using the left lane as the as-fast-as-possible lane that will tailgate said passer through the whole affair, putting everyone in danger.

Bickendan

Oh, I have no problem with said 64 passing the the semi on the left. The problem is, they don't move back over.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 29, 2015, 01:00:19 PM
...too often there's some clown using the left lane as the as-fast-as-possible lane that will tailgate said passer through the whole affair, putting everyone in danger.

I assure you, that is not common around here.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on April 29, 2015, 01:19:50 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 29, 2015, 01:00:19 PM
...too often there's some clown using the left lane as the as-fast-as-possible lane that will tailgate said passer through the whole affair, putting everyone in danger.

I assure you, that is not common around here.

In Seattle yes.  Portland, no.

mrsman

All that is required is a simple sign saying "keep right except to pass"

Even if difficult to enforce, most drivers would probably get the hint and it would eliminate left lane blockers.

There is an equivalent issue on escalators in the DC area.  Metro etiquette dictates that people who don't want to walk up escalators should keep right so that those who are running to catch a train can go.  However, most tourists don't know this, and there are no signs to this effect. If there were signs, I think most people would respect them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mrsman on May 01, 2015, 03:20:38 PM

Even if difficult to enforce, most drivers would probably get the hint and it would eliminate left lane blockers.

You would think.

New Jersey is loaded with "KRETP" signage.  Doesn't matter.  Some people ignore the signs, and will camp out in that left lane until the pavement ends. Hell, a cop I know says he'll come up in the left lane, lights flashing, siren going, and people absolutely refuse to leave the left lane.  And it's not like the cop can just pull the guy over, because they're already responding to another issue.

KEK Inc.

jakeroot

Texas uses "Left Lane for Passing Only", which is my preference (IMO, it's a bit clearer).

Bickendan

Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 01, 2015, 03:51:53 PM
IIRC, Oregon has those signs.

iPhone
Only on OR 211/224 and on OR 22 between OR 99W and 51, IIRC. They used to be all over, replaced by useless 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' signs.

mrsman

Quote from: Bickendan on May 01, 2015, 04:18:40 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on May 01, 2015, 03:51:53 PM
IIRC, Oregon has those signs.

iPhone
Only on OR 211/224 and on OR 22 between OR 99W and 51, IIRC. They used to be all over, replaced by useless 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' signs.

That's right, slower traffic keep right is not as clear.  The notion that needs to be conveyed to the driving public is that when traffic is moderate on a road with 2 or more lanes in one direction, leave the left lane clear so that there is room to pass.  And you don't have the right to ride the left lane even if you are going the speed limit.  This is common courtesy.

Now, will it be followed? Hard to say.  NJ drivers are probably more aggressive than OR drivers and may simply ignore the sign. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried in OR.

signalman

Quote from: mrsman on May 03, 2015, 08:15:06 AM
Now, will it be followed? Hard to say.  NJ drivers are probably more aggressive than OR drivers and may simply ignore the sign. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried in OR.
As a NJ driver I can attest to your assumption that NJ drivers are indeed aggressive.  I can be aggressive myself when I need to be.  I have no problem passing on the right, if need be.  While two wrongs may not make a right, I can't stand people who aren't considerate of others.  When one sees a faster vehicle approaching from behind, get out of the way!  The left lane is for passing, not a personal cruising lane.  Just last night, for example, while on the NY Thruway coming home from the Utica meet I encountered a lot of left lane bandits south of Albany.  I had to pass many on the right who absolutely refused to move out of the left lane.  Most of the offenders had either NY or NJ plates, btw.  I think one car had CT plates and maybe one had MA plates.  One had a NC plate, but that driver did move over after I passed on the right.

empirestate

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 01, 2015, 03:33:26 PM
Quote from: mrsman on May 01, 2015, 03:20:38 PM

You would think.

New Jersey is loaded with "KRETP" signage.  Doesn't matter.  Some people ignore the signs, and will camp out in that left lane until the pavement ends. Hell, a cop I know says he'll come up in the left lane, lights flashing, siren going, and people absolutely refuse to leave the left lane.  And it's not like the cop can just pull the guy over, because they're already responding to another issue.

Compounding the problem, in addition to people who just drive in the left lane whenever they please, you have a bunch more who feel that as long is they're not in the left-most lane, they're obeying the "keep right except to pass" rule. Since few highways in NJ are fewer than three lanes in each direction, this often results in a densely-populated middle lane, meaning that a motorist in the right lane, with only a single vehicle in front of him to overtake, must now also navigate through and around a whole line of traffic in the middle lane to his left just to get around that one vehicle.

Atomica

I do see signage reading Keep Right Except To Pass in Kansas, but the only place in Missouri you see that sort of thing is on the digital signboards that are slowly but surely popping up all over the Show Me State.
"A man who stands for nothing will fall for anything."
--- Malcolm X, 1925-1965

Bickendan

Saw 'Keep Right Except to Pass' signs on the passing lane segments of US 26 between US 101 and OR 6 yesterday... and only 'Slower Traffic Keep Right' signs on the freeway portion east of OR 6.

nexus73

Why give state police more reasons to write tickets?  That's my thought.  Traffic seems to meddle through in Oregon along I-5.  North of Cottage Grove to PDX it is a very busy freeway.  South of Cottage Grove to Grants Pass sees I-5 doing the rollercoaster trip as it crosses the mountainous terrain with only the Sutherlin-Roseburg section being close to urban conditions.  Grants Pass to Ashland is busy and then comes the crossing of the Siskiyous.  There are enough natural obstacles to go with a high traffic count to make I-5 a fairly slow freeway with very slow trucks in parts.  That results in frequent lane changes, traffic sorts itself into clumps once again and then it is all smooth for a while until the next crimp in the flow comes along.

That's how it works from what I see driving I-5 in Oregon.  YMMV based on whether you are a Valley driver, a downstate driver or the whole shebang driver.  Go back to 70 MPH with no split speed limits, add 3-lane climbing sections on I-5 and call it a day with no further laws required is my recommendation. 

I-84 is another kettle of fish altogether.  Once outside of PDX/metro traffic it is an easy high speed drive to Boise other than some hilly sections or when the snow or fog is hitting.  The stay-right deal works well with lower traffic volumes in wideopen Eastern Oregon, where a 75 MPH speed limit would be reasonable.  Add the tiny section of I-82 into the same category as I-84 in Oregon.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.