News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Car Completely Mangled After Collision With Older Lightpole

Started by Brian556, December 04, 2018, 11:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I though this was worth posting since the amount of damage to the car was so severe compared to collisions with newer breakaway poles. The car was traveling at much higher speed than the road was designed for. It was drivien by a teenage female.

This was in Dallas TX:

https://www.fox4news.com/news/3-dallas-isd-students-critically-injured-in-crash

Max Rockatansky

The doesn't speak well to the crash worthiness of the GM Delta platform...damn...

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2018, 12:41:24 AM
The doesn't speak well to the crash worthiness of the GM Delta platform...damn...

To be fair, I'm not sure how well many cars would take a side impact into a non-crashworthy light pole.

TechZeke

They are worried about teenage girls? I get tailgated literally everyday to/from work by some chick in a crossover SUV here in San Antonio, and I consider myself to be a lead foot.

I don't know why men only get reputation for being speed demons.  :-D

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 05, 2018, 07:52:20 AM

To be fair, I'm not sure how well many cars would take a side impact into a non-crashworthy light pole.

A 2018 IIHS Top Safety Pick and NHTSA 5 Star car should be able to handle a pole, I would think.

Although, to that old Chevy's credit, the students didn't die in the impact.
TechZeke

UCFKnights

I think it speaks wonders for it, they weren't killed. The goal in a crash is to absorb the energy away from the occupants and it looks like an awful lot of energy was absorbed.
Quote from: TechZeke on December 05, 2018, 08:28:55 AM
They are worried about teenage girls? I get tailgated literally everyday to/from work by some chick in a crossover SUV here in San Antonio, and I consider myself to be a lead foot.

I don't know why men only get reputation for being speed demons.  :-D
While from my experience, men seem to speed more, in the modern era, women seem without the ability to put the phone down for 1 second a lot more, and to tailgate sooo much more then men. If you watch the vehicles turning right at an intersection for who is on the phone while making a freaking right turn, its like 90% women. Men seem to put down the phone a lot more and just use it while generally going straight or stopped at the lights, at least from my experience.

Brian556

Women accidentally run stop signs way more than men also.

Henry

The fact that they survived the crash is a miracle in itself.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

seicer

Quote from: Brian556 on December 05, 2018, 09:34:15 AM

What's up with the sexist comments?

Brandon

Quote from: Brian556 on December 05, 2018, 09:34:15 AM

Anecdotal information, or do you have a link to statistics for that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 81 on December 05, 2018, 12:28:24 PM
https://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/gender

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3503410/

I'm not going to closely look at those reports, but they appeared to be reflective of who died in accidents, not who was at fault in accidents or who was driving unsafe.  Even in the 2nd link, it would say xx% of males were in accidents that involved speeding.  That means that at least one of the vehicles in the accident was driving at a high rate of speed.  That doesn't say the individual person injured or killed was the speeder.

seicer

Correct, the statistics don't make any notion as to who was driving. Not that it even matters in this case or in any case. The issue here was that a vehicle at a high rate of speed crashed into a solid pole not on a breakaway mount. It doesn't matter if the driver was female or male. At the least, you didn't break this down into race.

TechZeke

Quote from: seicer on December 05, 2018, 01:20:09 PM
Correct, the statistics don't make any notion as to who was driving. Not that it even matters in this case or in any case. The issue here was that a vehicle at a high rate of speed crashed into a solid pole not on a breakaway mount. It doesn't matter if the driver was female or male. At the least, you didn't break this down into race.

I mean, it's not like the Chevy magically smashed into pole on it's own. You can't take away the human element out of it. No need to be all serious, just some discussion. I'm not exaggerating about the tailgating women here in San Antonio though. Literally. Every. Day.
TechZeke

SectorZ

Quote from: UCFKnights on December 05, 2018, 09:00:32 AM
I think it speaks wonders for it, they weren't killed. The goal in a crash is to absorb the energy away from the occupants and it looks like an awful lot of energy was absorbed.

That's what a lot of people don't get, the car SHOULD be what gets destroyed so its occupants don't.

abefroman329

Quote from: SectorZ on December 05, 2018, 08:15:02 PM
Quote from: UCFKnights on December 05, 2018, 09:00:32 AM

That's what a lot of people don't get, the car SHOULD be what gets destroyed so its occupants don't.
Yeah, that's what I was telling my boss's boss the other day when he was telling me about the fender bender he got into and all of the damage to the other car. Watch one of those videos of a 1960s-era sedan getting into a controlled high-speed collision and you'll see what I mean.

Beltway

Quote from: TechZeke on December 05, 2018, 07:10:22 PM
I mean, it's not like the Chevy magically smashed into pole on it's own.

SUVs do it all the time!  They crash into bridge piers, bridge parapets, retaining walls, guardrail terminals, trees, power poles, all without human input!  Some of them have no occupants, and others have a driver but the SUV takes over and does its own thing!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.