News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiles32

Quote from: plain on January 21, 2021, 10:16:23 PM
The proposed interchange on I-64 at VA 173 is needed, but I agree... How are they going to pull this off with very little room? They're in the process of rebuilding the overpass there, if they already had this interchange in mind then they should design the bridge to accommodate a diamond (where the ramps on the western side can squeeze in between the interstate and the railroad).

Interestingly this is all the project does:
QuoteInstall the first phase of a full interchange on I-64 at Denbigh Boulevard Bridge. This project will install the I-64 west off-ramp, widen I-64 to support the off-ramp movement, signalize the off-ramp, and widen Denbigh Boulevard to accommodate the Diamond A
design.

Still unclear to me whether the ongoing Denbigh Boulevard Bridge replacement project is being done in order to accommodate this. $46 million for not even a full interchange seems like a lot and that's not counting the additional $22 million currently being spent on the bridge replacement. Also, whats a diamond A design?
http://vasmartscale.org/documents/fy2022-resource-documents/ss22-scorecards.pdf
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

Thing 342

Two possible reasons why this ramp is being submitted first:

• There are no exits off of 64 between Jefferson (255) and Ft Eustis (250), and the ramp from 64W to Jefferson N at 255B frequently backs up onto the freeway. This new ramp would relieve that ramp considerably by drawing traffic headed for northern Newport News and the Denbigh area.
  • This particular ramp would probably require removing Pagewood Dr and the current sound wall, the other three can probably be squeezed in to existing ROW.
I would guess that this had the highest determined utility and was pulled out to get a better Smart Scale score.

sprjus4

On section of I-64, VDOT converting HOV lanes to express lanes
QuoteThe Virginia Department of Transportation is converting 8 miles of high-occupancy vehicle lanes into express lanes on Interstate 64 in Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Chesapeake.

The work will extend from the I-64/I-464 interchange in Chesapeake to the I-64/I-264 interchange in Norfolk, and is expected to be done by fall 2022, VDOT said in a news release Friday.

The current HOV lane in each direction will be converted to an express lane, while the three general purpose lanes stay the same.

VDOT said the $19.2 million project will reduce congestion in general, reduce traffic volumes during peak periods, and grant solo drivers access they didn't have before.

Currently, only vehicles with two or more people can travel in the HOV lanes during peak traffic periods. During other times, the lanes are available for all passenger vehicles.

Converting the HOV lanes into express lanes, VDOT said, will allow solo drivers to move out of the congested general purpose lanes into the express lanes, for a fee.

To use the express lanes, vehicles need E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex.

Drivers with E-ZPass Flex who have two or more people in the vehicle will be able to travel toll-free. Also, motorcycles and transit buses will be allowed to travel toll-free.
If drivers don't have one of these passes, they can expect a violation notice requiring payment of the toll and fees, VDOT said in its statement.

Any money earned from the express lanes will go to VDOT, which plans to use it for "continued improvements of the I-64 corridor, ensuring a smoother commute for years to come,"  a spokeswoman said.

"Tolling revenue collected from the 64 Express Lanes is expected to cover the cost of operating and maintaining the facility and repayment of toll-related obligations,"  VDOT said. "This facility was not designed to raise revenue. It is a demand-based solution to help manage traffic in the corridor."

The first phase of the Hampton Roads Express Lanes kicked into gear between the I-564 interchange and I-264 in Norfolk in early 2018.

The next phase of the expansion is scheduled to start in late 2022, and will extend the Hampton Roads Express Lanes on I-64 from the I-464 interchange, across the High-Rise Bridge, to the I-664/I-264 Interchange at Bowers Hill.

Drivers may have to look out for daytime and nighttime single-lane and shoulder closures in the eastbound and westbound directions of I-64 during off-peak travel times, VDOT said.

To learn more, visit 64expresslanes.org/.

74/171FAN

I found out this afternoon that US 460/VA 166 was realigned just past VA 246 a few months ago as a result of the opening of the New Poindexter St Bridge replacing the 22nd St Bridge.

I also found a video showing shields for US 460/VA 166 staying straight instead of turning for the dogleg to 22nd St it previously took.  I have no idea if there are VA 246 shields here at this time, but I did not see any in this direction.

EDIT:  A map can be shown here.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mapmikey

The sole remaining VA 246 shield had been at the foot of the now-removed bridge.

My guess is that the backs of the shields visible there are US 460 and VA 166.

I'll be more upset if they removed this nearby sign - https://goo.gl/maps/xnjHVuoEjicvkAV68

74/171FAN

I clinched VA 246 yesterday and did not see any shields in the area whatsoever.

Secondly, I drove VA 7 between US 15 and VA 28 on Wednesday, and the only signal left is at Cardinal Run Dr as the Battlefield Pkwy interchange is still under construction.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Pink Jazz

I forgot to mention this, but as of July 2020, VDOT has a new contractor for its state logo sign program, Directional Signing Program, LLC.  At this time, Virginia Logos continues to be the contractor for the logo sign programs for the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk, and Lynchburg.

Jmiles32

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 28, 2021, 06:09:30 PM
Draft cost estimates and prioritization scores have been released for all candidate projects apart of the Hampton Roads 2045 Long-Range Transportation Plan

https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/012621%2006_Handout1%202045%20LRTP%20Roadway%20Candidate%20Projects.pdf

Is there a timetable yet for when some of the highly ranked/prioritized projects in here will be funded?
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

ahj2000

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 04, 2021, 03:35:41 PM
Draft cost estimates and prioritization scores have been released for all candidate projects apart of the Hampton Roads 2045 Long-Range Transportation Plan

https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/012621%2006_Handout1%202045%20LRTP%20Roadway%20Candidate%20Projects.pdf

Is there a timetable yet for when some of the highly ranked/prioritized projects in here will be funded?
Interstate 87 made it! 406m$ is less than I though VA would need to put into it (but my tax dollars are thankful)

Mapmikey

At the bottom of page 6 there is a project I don't recall seeing anywhere- extending VA 164 to the Suffolk Bypass. No cost estimate is provided.

If they really build this they should move US 58 to it.

Takumi

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 04, 2021, 05:08:33 PM
At the bottom of page 6 there is a project I don't recall seeing anywhere- extending VA 164 to the Suffolk Bypass. No cost estimate is provided.

If they really build this they should move US 58 to it.

Interestingly, the project has, by far, the highest economic vitality rating on the table, but the lowest viability rating. Probably because the most direct path from VA 164's current west end is through the swamp.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

plain

If VA 164 were to ever get extended (highly doubtful) I'd rather it get extended to Carrollton or maybe even Smithfield.

I've never heard of any extension either.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

^

A potential project evaluated recently during the Hampton Roads Regional Connectors Study, which is now currently focused on the Third Crossing, I-664, and VA-164 Widening, would have extended the Third Crossing from I-664 to US-17, a new alignment parallel to US-258 to north of Smithfield along VA-10, and a new bridge over the James River tying back into I-64 somewhere near Williamsburg. This project, however, was dropped from further evaluation.

Perhaps, and this may be getting into more fictional territory, but extend VA-164 or the Third Crossing west of US-17 along the VA-10 corridor to meet I-295 south of Hopewell. This would provide a similar corridor what the now-defunct US-460 freeway proposal would have provided, and a viable alternative between Richmond-Petersburg and the Southside that avoids the Peninsula.

18 wheel warrior

Quote from: ahj2000 on February 04, 2021, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 04, 2021, 03:35:41 PM

Interstate 87 made it! 406m$ is less than I though VA would need to put into it (but my tax dollars are thankful)
Interesting that Virginia is looking at somehow bringing I-87 into the state via Rte 168. Has NC already proposed routing that way north of the Elizabeth City bypass? Now, as soon as you enter NC on US-17, there is a sign that proclaims "FUTURE I-87 CORRIDOR".

The Chesapeake Expressway to NC border routing I believe that would account for the "low" $406 million. I understand that it would be shorter new construction and minor improvements along the Chesapeake Expressway (assuming the highway is toll free by then, otherwise I-87 would likely end at Battlefield Blvd), but I would have thought I-87 would be continued along the current US-17 corridor into Chesapeake. From there it would continue along the corridor with some at grade intersections upgraded to interchanges (Ballahack Rd, George Washington Hwy, Scenic Pkwy, Grassfield Pkwy). The interstate would then meet I-64 at the same place at the Chesapeake Expressway at the same location as the apparent routing VDOT is going for via the expressway/Oak Grove Connector. My remaining question is whether I-87 would end there or would it replace I-464 into Norfolk?

As an aside, I don't like the I-87 designation as the routing from Raleigh is much more west-east than south-north. I believe the more sensible designation would be I-56 or I-62.   

sprjus4

Quote from: 18 wheel warrior on February 05, 2021, 07:48:44 AM
Interesting that Virginia is looking at somehow bringing I-87 into the state via Rte 168. Has NC already proposed routing that way north of the Elizabeth City bypass? Now, as soon as you enter NC on US-17, there is a sign that proclaims "FUTURE I-87 CORRIDOR".

The Chesapeake Expressway to NC border routing I believe that would account for the "low" $406 million. I understand that it would be shorter new construction and minor improvements along the Chesapeake Expressway (assuming the highway is toll free by then, otherwise I-87 would likely end at Battlefield Blvd), but I would have thought I-87 would be continued along the current US-17 corridor into Chesapeake. From there it would continue along the corridor with some at grade intersections upgraded to interchanges (Ballahack Rd, George Washington Hwy, Scenic Pkwy, Grassfield Pkwy). The interstate would then meet I-64 at the same place at the Chesapeake Expressway at the same location as the apparent routing VDOT is going for via the expressway/Oak Grove Connector. My remaining question is whether I-87 would end there or would it replace I-464 into Norfolk?

As an aside, I don't like the I-87 designation as the routing from Raleigh is much more west-east than south-north. I believe the more sensible designation would be I-56 or I-62.   
While the VA-168 connector was an alternative, I believe the official plans still have North Carolina putting the corridor along US-17 to the Virginia state line. Additionally, a map productid by the HRTPO showing location for all of the candidate projects months back put the "I-87" project along the US-17 corridor between I-64 and the North Carolina state line.

Upgrades along US-17 would be relatively low cost as well. The highway is already on a limited access right of way, and with construction of about 4 to 5 interchanges and frontage roads in various locations, along with slight upgrades to the mainline to widen the outside shoulders to 10 feet, it wouldn't be too much of a task. The $406 million cost estimate is high though considering it's adjusted for inflation 15 or 20 years out, could be more logical.

As a comparison, another project the HRTPO is evaluating and actually considering a Regional Priority Project for the 2045 round, is widening the Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) between I-64 and Hillcrest Pkwy from 4 to 6-8 lanes, and is currently estimated to cost $354.7 million. Another project called "I‐64/I‐464 Loop Ramp (I‐64 EB to I‐464 South and I‐464 NB to I‐64 WB)" (which seems to indicate overhaul and removal of the two bottleneck loops on the north side of the I-64 / I-464 interchange) is also being considered as a Regional Priority Project and projected to cost $338.8 million.
https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/012621%2006_Handout2%20DRAFT%20Highway%20RPP%20Recommendation.pdf

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

Quote from: plain on February 05, 2021, 10:00:47 AM
A little news involving VA EZpass

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/virginia-makes-e-zpass-adjustment-due-to-pandemic

I saw this on the news while at my parents' last week.  I was surprised that this really became an issue with the understanding that you just needed to tell VDOT that you were still planning to use it to keep it.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 05, 2021, 11:21:29 AM
Quote from: plain on February 05, 2021, 10:00:47 AM
A little news involving VA EZpass

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/virginia-makes-e-zpass-adjustment-due-to-pandemic

I saw this on the news while at my parents' last week.  I was surprised that this really became an issue with the understanding that you just needed to tell VDOT that you were still planning to use it to keep it.

I believe some Reddit users raised a ruckus and prompted VDOT's response.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Thing 342

Surely if 164 got extended it would be to the JRB? That section of 17 is busy and needs significant upgrades. Not sure why they proposed adding miles of new freeway when it'd be much easier to upgrade existing 13/58/460.

roadman65

I can't find any websites that confirm the defunct US 60 Business along Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach. Does that mean it was unofficial when it was signed ( and it was until the early 80's)? Or is it official still, but dis the city forget to tell the state so they should have informed AASHTO?

Even US Ends dot com is confused by the lack of care VA Beach gives its two US routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadman65 on February 10, 2021, 10:11:58 PM
I can't find any websites that confirm the defunct US 60 Business along Atlantic Avenue in Virginia Beach. Does that mean it was unofficial when it was signed ( and it was until the early 80's)? Or is it official still, but dis the city forget to tell the state so they should have informed AASHTO?

Even US Ends dot com is confused by the lack of care VA Beach gives its two US routes.

US 60 Business was unofficial from VDOH's point of view and no primary routing money was allocated to the city (reaffirmed in 1960 and 1963).  It was a concession to Va Beach who did not like the intended plan to turn Atlantic and Pacific into one-way pairs.

Details at page 10 here - http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-05-1958-01.pdf

It was not posted at all when I lived in the area 1991-93.  I have yet to see a map label US 60 Business there, though there are maps that show US 60 on both Atlantic and Pacific such as this 1963 Princess Anne County map:

Henry

Quote from: sprjus4 on February 05, 2021, 09:44:00 AM
Quote from: 18 wheel warrior on February 05, 2021, 07:48:44 AM

While the VA-168 connector was an alternative, I believe the official plans still have North Carolina putting the corridor along US-17 to the Virginia state line. Additionally, a map productid by the HRTPO showing location for all of the candidate projects months back put the "I-87" project along the US-17 corridor between I-64 and the North Carolina state line.

Upgrades along US-17 would be relatively low cost as well. The highway is already on a limited access right of way, and with construction of about 4 to 5 interchanges and frontage roads in various locations, along with slight upgrades to the mainline to widen the outside shoulders to 10 feet, it wouldn't be too much of a task. The $406 million cost estimate is high though considering it's adjusted for inflation 15 or 20 years out, could be more logical.

As a comparison, another project the HRTPO is evaluating and actually considering a Regional Priority Project for the 2045 round, is widening the Chesapeake Expressway (VA-168) between I-64 and Hillcrest Pkwy from 4 to 6-8 lanes, and is currently estimated to cost $354.7 million. Another project called "I‐64/I‐464 Loop Ramp (I‐64 EB to I‐464 South and I‐464 NB to I‐64 WB)" (which seems to indicate overhaul and removal of the two bottleneck loops on the north side of the I-64 / I-464 interchange) is also being considered as a Regional Priority Project and projected to cost $338.8 million.
https://www.hrtpo.org/uploads/docs/012621%2006_Handout2%20DRAFT%20Highway%20RPP%20Recommendation.pdf
If NY, NJ, DE, MD and VA were discussing filling in the gap between new I-87 and the existing one up north, the designation would be more justifiable. But since they're not even looking at it, I agree, an even number would work better, like I-48. Although I've heard lots of I-46 suggestions for this corridor, the main drawback to such a designation would be confusion with I-64.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mapmikey

I'm no lawyer, but my stupid question was this - because of how the road on the Virginia side is configured in using a horseshoe curve to reach the landing, how is the ferry landing not within the ROW of this VDOT-maintained road?  Wouldn't change the fact that the ferry didn't own it, but rather who the ferry should have been dealing with.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 13, 2021, 11:57:46 AM
I'm no lawyer, but my stupid question was this - because of how the road on the Virginia side is configured in using a horseshoe curve to reach the landing, how is the ferry landing not within the ROW of this VDOT-maintained road?  Wouldn't change the fact that the ferry didn't own it, but rather who the ferry should have been dealing with.

The text in boldface was actually a major matter of dispute in the lawsuit. The opinion (31-page letter ruling) is linked in Reply #5427 in this thread, if you want to read it. A letter ruling is a fairly standard procedure in Virginia's circuit courts and I'm glad WTOP got hold of a copy so it would be easily available. I don't know whether, or when, it'll be published in the Va. Cir. reporter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.