News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2017 Cedar Pt. Road Trip

Started by noelbotevera, August 27, 2015, 07:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelbotevera

So, to catch things up, and me starting my enthusiasm with amusement parks, I felt Cedar Point would be the next step. However, for two years, no vacations, since I need braces due to an overbite I have, so I'm holding this off until 2017. Baltimore just got canceled.

With all introductions done, I'm think of places to stay along the way (in Sandusky, maybe stay in Hotel Breakers). I (we) could stay a night in Pittsburgh, then the next morning enter Ohio about an hour before opening. Here's my route:

US 30 WB to Breezewood - stop west of McConnellsburg for breakfast - if no breakfast, take services in Breezewood.
I-70/I-76 WB to I-376, Pittsburgh (Exit 57) - use service plazas
I-376 WB to Exit 64 - take I-79 to I-76 into Ohio - stop in Pittsburgh for a night (if needed)

----Entering Ohio - 10 miles southeast of Youngstown------
I-76 WB becomes I-80 WB
Take I-80 WB to I-71 NB
I-71 NB ends at I-90
Take I-90 WB to US 6/20
Follow US 6 to Sandusky, take US 250 to terminus

Right there!

My plan is 2 nights at Hotel Breakers - 1 day at Cedar Point, 1 day at Soak City.

On the next day, stay in Cleveland for a day - following night, get home and try and find the Ohio Turnpike. Done!

I'm open to suggestions - where to eat, what to ride, etc.

Rothman

Definitely take advantage of the early entry.  I was there on a broiling hot Sunday and it was perfect:  Short lines and everything was running.  Best amusement park visit I've ever had.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

^^ Get the two-day ride and slide tickets.  That will allow you access to both Soak City and Cedar Point on both days.  It can get chilly in the evenings sometimes, and Soak City closes much earlier than the main park.

Ride everything you can.  My favorites are Millennium Force and Gemini, but I have a love of most of the rides in the park.  Lines usually tend to be shorter away from the newer and/or larger roller coasters due to the sheer number of rides (it dwarfs any Disney park or any Six Flags park).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

noelbotevera

My goal is to make it to Cleveland at least 2 hours before the park opens - even then, there is a little margin for error, because there's about 65 more miles till Sandusky. If not, I want to at least make it to Ohio maybe 3-4 hours before the park opens.

I'm thinking of a four day road meet around the Toledo and Cleveland areas. Two days for Cleveland and Toledo, then two days having fun in Soak City/CP.

Rothman

Egads, you'll be tired for your first day there.  I'd stay at one of the Cedar Point properties the night before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Quote from: Rothman on August 28, 2015, 05:02:00 PM
Egads, you'll be tired for your first day there.  I'd stay at one of the Cedar Point properties the night before.

Let me laugh a bit.  We've gone to Cedar Point for a day trip, getting there by 11 am EDT and staying till the park closes at 10 EDT.  That's a day trip from Joliet, IL, mind you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Rothman

Quote from: Brandon on August 28, 2015, 05:35:24 PM

Let me laugh a bit.  We've gone to Cedar Point for a day trip, getting there by 11 am EDT and staying till the park closes at 10 EDT.  That's a day trip from Joliet, IL, mind you.

If masochism's your thing, no sweat off of my back.

noelbotevera

That's if my dad can't make it, so we leave a day before we plan to go to CP to stay in Pittsburgh and hightail it to Ohio by morning. If I can get to Cleveland then I think I could be fine.

vtk

Back in '03 I went with a bunch of friends on a Tuesday-Wednesday. Main park only; we didn't bother with the Soak City. Spending two days in the park was great, because we were able to do everything – including Snoopy On Ice – without feeling rushed.  Tuesday night we lodged at Maples Motel on route 6 near the old park entrance road, which can also be seen in the movie Edge Of Seventeen which takes place in Sandusky.  It was cozy and clean, though I have no idea what it cost. The drive up Tuesday morning and back Wednesday night was easy enough because we were only coming from Columbus.  If you're coming from more than a few hundred miles away, I'd suggest overnighting in or near Sandusky before and after your park visit, as well as between park days.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.