News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^ I think a concrete slab similar to the new US 54 bridge is more likely, given the number of piers on the existing I-80 bridge.

Rick Powell

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 13, 2021, 11:10:01 PM
^ I think a concrete slab similar to the new US 54 bridge is more likely, given the number of piers on the existing I-80 bridge.

The existing I-80 Des Plaines river navigation span is only 300 feet long, so unless they are substantially widening the navigational opening, it would not make economic sense to do a tied arch, cable stayed or other similar design. Besides, with simple girder and concrete, they are far easier to maintain, repair and replace when the time comes.

paulthemapguy

(They're talking about the I-80 bridge over the Mississippi River, not the notorious one over the Des Plaines River.  As a Joliet area native myself, I had to reread what they were saying to ascertain this myself.)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Rick Powell

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 14, 2021, 12:01:12 PM
(They're talking about the I-80 bridge over the Mississippi River, not the notorious one over the Des Plaines River.  As a Joliet area native myself, I had to reread what they were saying to ascertain this myself.)

Yep, fired that one off too soon. I am well aware of the I-80 Quad Cities crossing project, know several people working on the planning. Will be interesting to see if the Bison park makes it into the design, it has been a subject of keen local interest in the last year.

US20IL64

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 11, 2021, 01:57:30 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 10, 2021, 03:58:34 PM
Button copy signs at I-55 and Lemont Road are sadly gone.  New stuff has gone up in that area in the past month or two.
Also the button copy for Route 126 Plainfield has been changed in November.

Button copy for I-55 exit signs still up, on ramp southbound from i-294, after the Joliet Rd toll booth.

Brandon

Quote from: US20IL64 on December 15, 2021, 07:02:11 PM
Button copy signs at I-55 and Lemont Road are sadly gone.  New stuff has gone up in that area in the past month or two.

Button copy for I-55 exit signs still up, on ramp southbound from i-294, after the Joliet Rd toll booth.

Those are ISTHA signs, not IDOT signs. They may be replaced when/if ISTHA rebuilds that ramp.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hobsini2

Quote from: Brandon on December 16, 2021, 07:07:11 AM

Those are ISTHA signs, not IDOT signs. They may be replaced when/if ISTHA rebuilds that ramp.
One that ISTHA did change recently was adding "Obama Expy" while keeping Stevenson Expy to a southbound 294 BGS.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 28, 2021, 12:13:46 PM

One that ISTHA did change recently was adding "Obama Expy" while keeping Stevenson Expy to a southbound 294 BGS.

Why?  No one calls it that.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

ET21

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2021, 06:13:44 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on December 28, 2021, 12:13:46 PM

Why?  No one calls it that.

Isn't Obama Expy for the stretch from 294 to I-80?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Rick Powell

Quote from: ET21 on December 29, 2021, 10:27:07 AM
Not quite - Stevenson from Dan Ryan 90/94 interchange to Tri-State 294 interchange, then Obama from 294 to Pontiac.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-met-barack-obama-interstate-signs-illinois-20180703-story.html

Brandon

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 29, 2021, 11:08:08 AM
Yes - Stevenson from Dan Ryan 90/94 interchange to Tri-State 294 interchange, then Obama from 294 to 80.

Actually, the designation extends to IL-116 in Pontiac.  No one calls it that though.  It's just I-55.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2021, 11:10:46 AM
Yes - Stevenson from Dan Ryan 90/94 interchange to Tri-State 294 interchange, then Obama from 294 to 80.
Actually, the designation extends to IL-116 in Pontiac.  No one calls it that though.  It's just I-55.
If anything, it might still be called the Stevie out to somewhere between 355/Bolingbrook and 80/Joliet. Maybe.

I haven't lived up that way for 6 years or so, so take "my take"  with a grain of salt

Why not Springfield? I recall they picked it because he drove it.
I would have taken 57 72 from Hyde Park a lot myself.

Rick Powell

Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2021, 11:38:29 AM

FWIW, I'll bet no one other than a handful of people know that the I-55/74 multiplex around Bloomington/Normal was designated the "Maitland Bypass".

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/legisnet92/status/920HJR0041.html

I knew. 72 but the rest......

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 29, 2021, 11:47:14 AM
Quote from: 3467 on December 29, 2021, 11:38:29 AM

FWIW, I'll bet no one other than a handful of people know that the I-55/74 multiplex around Bloomington/Normal was designated the "Maitland Bypass".

https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/legisnet92/status/920HJR0041.html

Unless they provide aligned funding to IDOT for signage, no one will probably know.

Not all of these memorial bills include money with them. It's strictly ceremonial.

Rick Powell

Quote from: edwaleni on December 29, 2021, 11:59:20 PM
Unless they provide aligned funding to IDOT for signage, no one will probably know.

Not all of these memorial bills include money with them. It's strictly ceremonial.

I have seen signs for the Zeke Giorgi Memorial Highway along I-39. None of the others in that bill, that I can recall.

edwaleni

Quote from: Rick Powell on December 30, 2021, 01:04:22 AM
Quote from: edwaleni on December 29, 2021, 11:59:20 PM

I have seen signs for the Zeke Giorgi Memorial Highway along I-39. None of the others in that bill, that I can recall.

US-34 "The Walter Payton Highway" has 1 sign....in Burlington, Iowa when you cross the bridge into Illinois. The sign on the east end (LaGrange) has gone missing. There are no other signs.

ilpt4u

Quote from: edwaleni on December 30, 2021, 07:27:04 PM
US-34 "The Walter Payton Highway" has 1 sign....in Burlington, Iowa when you cross the bridge into Illinois. The sign on the east end (LaGrange) has gone missing. There are no other signs.
IDOT has better things to spend money on than this...but I always thought it would be neat to use an Orange and Blue version of the standard US 34 Shield, at least some of the time, with a Walter Payton banner in place of the Directional banner

Also think dumping the "Ogden Ave"  name in Chicagoland and just calling it Walter Payton Hwy or Walter Payton Ave would help get that "name"  used more

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 30, 2021, 07:32:08 PM
IDOT has better things to spend money on than this...but I always thought it would be neat to use an Orange and Blue version of the standard US 34 Shield, at least some of the time, with a Walter Payton banner in place of the Directional banner

Also think dumping the "Ogden Ave"  name in Chicagoland and just calling it Walter Payton Hwy or Walter Payton Ave would help get that "name"  used more

Probably not.  Chicagoans have a habit of using the older name even if it's not posted anywhere.

What was his connection to 34? Monmouth College made a bid for the Bears summer training facility.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on December 30, 2021, 08:00:59 PM

Probably not.  Chicagoans have a habit of using the older name even if it's not posted anywhere.
I normally agree with that, but Sweetness is, to this day, popular enough that it would work its way into the lexicon. It would take a few years, but it would get there

Walter Payton is on a pretty short list of people that are broadly beloved by a decent portion of the population
Quote from: 3467 on December 30, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
What was his connection to 34? Monmouth College made a bid for the Bears summer training facility.
Payton wore 34 for his entire career

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 30, 2021, 08:33:14 PM

I normally agree with that, but Sweetness is, to this day, popular enough that it would work its way into the lexicon. It would take a few years, but it would get there

Walter Payton is on a pretty short list of people that are broadly beloved by a decent portion of the population
Quote from: 3467 on December 30, 2021, 08:07:06 PM
Payton wore 34 for his entire career

In those days, NFL players didn't have foundations or big charities funded by their contracts. The NFL had just started funding community work and promoting it through their ads on TV.

Walter was different as he started "giving back" almost as soon as he became a Bear. Made dozens of community appearances with no fees. Went to many Chicago schools to talk with kids, always made himself available for the press, even with the Bears losing so badly before 1984.

But I would like to think the most endearing (at least to Bear die hards)  was when he volunteered to man the phones in the ticket office to help the Bears sell season tickets. The Bears were going through a lot of coaching changes and things looked bleak. but he spent hours on the phone selling tickets (successfully I might add).

Some of his workouts included running up the south side slag piles outside the now long gone Wisconsin Steel where the International Scout was made. People were shocked one day as here he was running up the path on Lake Shore Drive.

He wasnt a big talker that wore thousands in gold bands around his neck and was involved in some drive by night club shooting. He worked hard and was a humble guy and showed it on the field.

He was semi-embarassed when his then shoe maker (Roos) embossed 'Sweetness" on his then cleats.

When Ditka took over as coach the young guys did not hold back on complaining. But Walter remained calm and embraced the new system that used him as a decoy.

He didn't run to the press and demand a trade or a new contract. He did the job he was asked.

And when he didn't get that wanted Super Bowl TD he dreamed of, he undressed in a closet so the press couldn't see him crying. He didn't want to take the moment away from the others. He wanted it, but he knew the others did too.

And that in a nutshell is why Walter is loved by Chicagoans far and wide. He won't be sainted or made a deity or anything like that (though the Fox Sports NFL robot is aptly numbered #34 in his honor.)

hobsini2

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 29, 2021, 11:29:03 AM
Quote from: Brandon on December 29, 2021, 11:10:46 AM
If anything, it might still be called the Stevie out to somewhere between 355/Bolingbrook and 80/Joliet. Maybe.

I haven't lived up that way for 6 years or so, so take "my take"  with a grain of salt
I still call it the Stevenson all the way to 126.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Indeed. Does anyone really call it Ida B Wells Pkwy? I don't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.