News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Pontchartrain and Westbank Expressways quietly renamed.

Started by UptownRoadGeek, September 17, 2010, 11:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UptownRoadGeek

I've noticed this week that LaDOTD has put up signs with new expressway names. The Westbank Expressway now becomes the Harry Lee Expressway at the Orleans/Jefferson line and the I-10 becomes the Avery C Alexander Expressway at the 17th Street Canal. There was talk about renaming the WB after Lee's death, but it met opposition because many disliked Lee and others argued that he hadn't been dead long enough. I thought it was dead, but apparently it made it through. The Pontchartrain Expwy designation caught me by surprise though. Either way, I don't see these names being used in local vernacular anytime soon. "Airline Hwy" is just now starting to disappear from general convo, but Airline Drive is rarely said either.

Bryant5493

This seems similar to Atlanta. Street names are seemingly changed left and right here. Bankhead Highway in northwest Atlanta's been renamed Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway; and Veterans Memorial Highway in Cobb County. Hightower Road/S.R. 280 in northwest Atlanta was renamed Hamilton E. Holmes Drive a little while back. The idea was bandied about to rename Tara Boulevard (U.S. 19/41/S.R. 3) in Clayton County, to Rosa Parks Memorial Highway.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alps

Darkchylde

Quote from: AlpsROADS on September 18, 2010, 11:21:11 PM
Wait, Airline Highway isn't Airline Highway?
Not in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, at least. It's still Airline Highway up near Baton Rouge, not sure about the middle areas such as LaPlace.

brownpelican

Quote from: Darkangel on September 19, 2010, 02:06:00 AM
Not in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, at least. It's still Airline Highway up near Baton Rouge, not sure about the middle areas such as LaPlace.

It's Airline Drive in the above-mentioned areas...and Airline Highway from the Jefferson-St. Charles Parish line to Baton Rouge.

I'm surprised they renamed the Pontchartrain Expressway. I guess they renamed it since Charity Hospital - which bore Alexander's name - isn't in use. I would think it made more sense that his name would have been applied to I-10 from the Pontchartrain Expy. eastward.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: brownpelican on September 20, 2010, 11:13:45 PM

It's Airline Drive in the above-mentioned areas...and Airline Highway from the Jefferson-St. Charles Parish line to Baton Rouge.

Just say Airline or 61, Louisianans will know what you're speaking of.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

UptownRoadGeek

I'm surprised they renamed the Pontchartrain Expressway. I guess they renamed it since Charity Hospital - which bore Alexander's name - isn't in use. I would think it made more sense that his name would have been applied to I-10 from the Pontchartrain Expy. eastward.

That would have made much more sense IMO.

lamsalfl

Quote from: Adam Smith on September 21, 2010, 12:20:43 AM

Just say Airline or 61, Louisianans will know what you're speaking of.

Nobody calls it US 61!!  It's just "Airline".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.