News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hurricane Florence - Road Closures

Started by edwaleni, September 12, 2018, 01:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwaleni

I-26 is one direction from Charleston to Columbia.

US-501 is one direction from Myrtle Beach SC to Marion SC.

Heavy traffic with backups on I-95 at Hardeeville SC and Bishopville SC on I-20 west of Florence SC.

Schools were closed starting today, traffic will increase throughout the evening as people evacuate before nightfall.

edwaleni

SC-22 and SC-31 are now closed in and around Myrtle Beach.

NC-140 and US-17 are one way out of Wilmington.

US-501 is only open for outbound traffic in SC.

I-26 is one way only from Charleston SC all the way to Columbia SC.

All ramps at I-95 and US 278 in Hardeeville are now closed.

wriddle082

Quote from: edwaleni on September 13, 2018, 11:48:00 PM
SC-22 and SC-31 are now closed in and around Myrtle Beach.

NC-140 and US-17 are one way out of Wilmington.

US-501 is only open for outbound traffic in SC.

I-26 is one way only from Charleston SC all the way to Columbia SC.

All ramps at I-95 and US 278 in Hardeeville are now closed.

Contraflow on I-26 and US 501 have been changed back to normal, since most evacuees are already gone.  I think traffic is still restricted in the EB directions of each, or is at least being scrutinized.

bob7374

NCDOT has closed I-95 between Exit 81 (I-40) and Exit 65 (NC-82) near Dunn, due to flooding. The road is expected to reopen by 8:30 AM, September 17,2018. They have also closed all Lanes of I-40 are closed in both directions near Warsaw between Exit 364 (NC-24) and Exit 369 (US-117) due to flooding. The road is expected to reopen by 8:30 AM, September 17,2018. Probably more closures to come.

1995hoo

VMSs on the Beltway and I-395 today were warning that I-95 was closed in North Carolina. That's probably the most distant warning notices I can recall. Three days after 9-11 there were warnings of closures in the NYC area as we crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge, but that's not as distant.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

I heard the mayor of Myrtle Beach on I think CNN.She said they needed an Interstate. I assume she was talking about 73?

LM117

Quote from: 3467 on September 15, 2018, 07:13:46 PM
I heard the mayor of Myrtle Beach on I think CNN.She said they needed an Interstate. I assume she was talking about 73?

Undoubtedly.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Here's NCDOT's recommended detour around I-95:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2018/2018-09-15-nc-travel-conditions.aspx

QuoteAt this time, drivers who would travel through North Carolina will be detoured completely around the state. If traveling south on I-95, the route around North Carolina will be:

I-64 West in Virginia to I-81, to I-75 in Tennessee to I-16 in Georgia. From there, drivers can access I-95.

This is an extremely long detour, but it is the detour that offers the lowest risk of flooding at this time. Please note those conditions can change as Hurricane Florence moves across the southern North Carolina border and begins to impact South Carolina.

Beltway

Quote from: LM117 on September 16, 2018, 05:12:12 AM
QuoteAt this time, drivers who would travel through North Carolina will be detoured completely around the state. If traveling south on I-95, the route around North Carolina will be:

What about the US-1 corridor south of Raleigh?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mapmikey

Quote from: Beltway on September 16, 2018, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: LM117 on September 16, 2018, 05:12:12 AM

What about the US-1 corridor south of Raleigh?
US 1 is closed both directions in Rockingham (power lines) but otherwise open everywhere else.

The problem is how do you get back to 95 from this routing...  I-95 is closed in Dillon County between SC 38 and SC 34.  SC 38 itself appears to be open currently but this runs through a lot of swamp.  There is a flash flood warning on the segment of I-95 below SC 38 as well.

SCDOT has the detour using I-77 and I-26 back to I-95...considerably shorter than having to go to Georgia

1995hoo

cjk374

Damn what a mess! The bad news is that this is far from being over with yet.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

I used Google Maps to find out how much longer of a distance that recommended detour is and came up with about 400 miles (479 miles via I-95 v. 881 miles via the detour). Wow.

Obviously if you're coming from further north and you need to use I-81 it'd make more sense to cut west sooner (I-66, for example). The VMSs here were not suggesting that yesterday; they just said "Use Extreme Caution."

I would think unless the destination was in Georgia it would be best to get on 81 as far north as possible and just us 75 to Florida.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 16, 2018, 10:52:27 AM
US 1 is closed both directions in Rockingham (power lines) but otherwise open everywhere else.
The problem is how do you get back to 95 from this routing...  I-95 is closed in Dillon County between SC 38 and SC 34.  SC 38 itself appears to be open currently but this runs through a lot of swamp.  There is a flash flood warning on the segment of I-95 below SC 38 as well.
SCDOT has the detour using I-77 and I-26 back to I-95...considerably shorter than having to go to Georgia

OK ... so there are I-95 closures in S.C. as well...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

cjk374

Are the traffic back-ups bad now in VA & GA now due to the I-95 closure?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Beltway

Quote from: cjk374 on September 17, 2018, 06:30:03 AM
Are the traffic back-ups bad now in VA & GA now due to the I-95 closure?

No such traffic problems reported on the VDOT website (yet).

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Did they block it off at the boarder? Many of the roads are open to local traffic. I can see why they wanted keep through traffic out.  It prevents problems.

bob7374

Flooding has reached the Durham area. US 15-501 is closed between Durham and Chapel Hill due to flooding, an alternative route, Old Chapel Hill road is also closed due to part of the road being washed out. Flooding has also closed Old NC 10 west of Durham. NCDOT is telling everyone south of US 64 and east of I-73/I-74 to stay put, though, as shown above, the flooding issues are now moving west and north.

abqtraveler

Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2018, 01:54:20 PM

Heavy traffic with backups on I-95 at Hardeeville SC and Bishopville SC on I-20 west of Florence SC.

Schools were closed starting today, traffic will increase throughout the evening as people evacuate before nightfall.

If Hurricane Florence doesn't light a fire under people to get moving on building I-73 through South Carolina, I doubt anything will.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 18, 2018, 12:24:47 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on September 12, 2018, 01:54:20 PM

If Hurricane Florence doesn't light a fire under people to get moving on building I-73 through South Carolina, I doubt anything will.

Well, it's not like they're going to be able to say that Interstate highways prevent and resolve any flooding issues...

vdeane

It would help with evacuation before the storm, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

fillup420

Google Maps is showing I-40 closed in both directions from Wilmington to Benson, as well as portions of US 74/76 between Lumberton and Wilmington.

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on September 18, 2018, 01:43:53 PM
It would help with evacuation before the storm, though.

Exactly.

Quote from: fillup420 on September 18, 2018, 07:36:37 PM
Google Maps is showing I-40 closed in both directions from Wilmington to Benson, as well as portions of US 74/76 between Lumberton and Wilmington.

Yeah, Wilmington is pretty much fucked right now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.