News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Route Shield Re-Design Contest

Started by DaBigE, February 28, 2014, 12:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

State Route Shield Redesign Theme/Contest

I'm Game
6 (75%)
No, it's stupid and cheesy
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: March 21, 2014, 01:58:08 AM

DaBigE

As an alternative for the artistically talented/trivia-challenged, and given the relative popularity of: Redesigning State Highway Shields (as well as the amount of complaints certain state route shields receive), any thoughts on having some kind of weekly/biweekly design themed design/contest? Each week we could pick a different state to redesign their route shield.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Zeffy

I like this idea. I think we should broaden the spectrum though: contests for designing signs that could be part of future Interstates would be really interesting. However, at the base, your redesigning state highway shields is a great idea.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

agentsteel53

good idea.  I agree with Zeffy's expansion proposal, and think we should go with a selection from a broad theme every week.  one week it's just a redesign of a state marker... the next can be "how to do Appalachian Development Corridors without looking like a blue compressed '70-spec dork" or what have you. 

oh hell I'd be amenable to redesigning some of the named scenic/historic trails for a real challenge.  WV's Midland Trail, for example, could use a makeover.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

This is the point at which I really wish I had some Photoshop skills. I've had the perfect idea for a Kentucky route marker makeover but I'm just not good enough at image manipulation to make it happen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sammi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2014, 11:14:34 AM
This is the point at which I really wish I had some Photoshop skills. I've had the perfect idea for a Kentucky route marker makeover but I'm just not good enough at image manipulation to make it happen.
Using vector graphics software (like Inkscape/Illustrator) is significantly easier. Besides, your design shouldn't be too complex to need Photoshop.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on February 28, 2014, 11:14:34 AM

draw it by hand and take a photo?  or use old-school "photo shop": take some scissors and manipulate a source image that way.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

I like the idea that we judge based on the idea, not the artistic execution. That allows people of all skill levels to compete.

jbnv

Quote from: Alps on February 28, 2014, 06:53:42 PM
I like the idea that we judge based on the idea, not the artistic execution. That allows people of all skill levels to compete.
+1.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.