Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on December 17, 2020, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 17, 2020, 12:57:02 PM
I think any gore point sign is sort of silly.  Especially when they're posted a considerable distance past the actual split, like this.  Around me, their primary purpose seems to be target practice for drivers taking aim.

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 17, 2020, 02:41:47 PM

Quote from: kphoger on December 17, 2020, 12:58:44 PM
When snow covers the highway, I sure appreciate knowing exactly where the division is.

So do I, but gore signs don't tell me.  They're past the point of the division, and just how far past varies with every one.

At the location in your link, the gore sign is between a maintained gravel strip (not likely to get stuck) and a grass berm (likely to get stuck).

Or you could truly miss the point of the exit gore signs, and do this:

Quote from: AndyMax25 on August 03, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
Here are some photos. The new placement doesn't make any sense to me. Might as well not have them at all. This is westbound on I-10

plain

Quote from: formulanone on December 17, 2020, 07:18:53 PM
I think any gore point sign is sort of silly.  Especially when they're posted a considerable distance past the actual split, like this.  Around me, their primary purpose seems to be target practice for drivers taking aim.

When snow covers the highway, I sure appreciate knowing exactly where the division is.

So do I, but gore signs don't tell me.  They're past the point of the division, and just how far past varies with every one.

At the location in your link, the gore sign is between a maintained gravel strip (not likely to get stuck) and a grass berm (likely to get stuck).

Here are some photos. The new placement doesn't make any sense to me. Might as well not have them at all. This is westbound on I-10

Seems as though Caltrans was looking for the easiest way to install those gore signs; it's much easier to install them in gravel and such vs having to jackhammer into concrete, place the beams, then pour cement into the hole and let set. Makes since considering it wasn't that long ago that CA actually started using exit numbers.

In the first 2 pics (I'm sure it's the same exit) they actually could've just placed it on the highway lighting there. Still not perfect but much better than what's there now.

Still sucks though. I agree with saying if the gore signs is going to be that far back then what's the point of having them? Also, before the numbering, were there any gore signs at these spots at all?
Newark born, Richmond bred

EpicRoadways

The sign isn't the "unique" part of this, but this crosswalk sign is mounted on what has got to effectively be the longest streetlight arm in existence.

roadfro

Quote from: EpicRoadways on December 18, 2020, 11:15:52 AM
The sign isn't the "unique" part of this, but this crosswalk sign is mounted on what has got to effectively be the longest streetlight arm in existence.

Quite odd, but effective in getting more overhead lighting to the opposite side of the street/crosswalk since there's no other streetlights in the vicinity on that side.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

1995hoo

The longest arm I've ever seen is on northbound US-1 in Arlington, Virginia, at Glebe Road. Six signal heads and it looks like it should fall down compared to the support piece:

https://goo.gl/maps/NqXbmqHbvfx4bvqz5
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

It's an insane intersection for sure.

One time several years ago I was turning from Northbound Jeff Davis onto westbound Glebe (e.g. towards 395), and I accidently went on the eastbound lanes of Glebe, south of the divider (seen here: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8425817,-77.0524743,3a,15y,271.07h,88.83t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srxsIHN8V21GGsMVOnXXf5A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192), in the wrong direction.

Fortunately it was very late and nobody was heading my way, and because the divider wasn't too long, I was able to safely cross over back into the correct lanes and continue on my way.

US71

I think I've seen those in Minnesota.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wanderer2575

At this location, yes.  If it's snow-covered and you're not already familiar with the exit, who knows?  Could be a curb, could be a depressed area, etc.  The snow height isn't always an accurate indicator.

plain

Newark born, Richmond bred

ErmineNotyours

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 21, 2020, 05:39:39 PM
Quite the colorful Business Route sign.

One of the Business Loop 80 signs in downtown Sacramento, CA was that way (until Caltrans, admittedly logically, just turned that segment into US 50 because it is).

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

I don't know if Jeremy has a photo, but there used to be signs on US 71 at Winslow and south of Mountainburg XX (usually 10 or 12) people killed in the last 3 years. Don't you be next.

These were take down right after I-49 opened.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: plain on December 17, 2020, 11:28:36 PM
Quote from: formulanone on December 17, 2020, 07:18:53 PM

Seems as though Caltrans was looking for the easiest way to install those gore signs; it's much easier to install them in gravel and such vs having to jackhammer into concrete, place the beams, then pour cement into the hole and let set. Makes since considering it wasn't that long ago that CA actually started using exit numbers.

In the first 2 pics (I'm sure it's the same exit) they actually could've just placed it on the highway lighting there. Still not perfect but much better than what's there now.

Still sucks though. I agree with saying if the gore signs is going to be that far back then what's the point of having them? Also, before the numbering, were there any gore signs at these spots at all?

What's interesting is all of those photos show the very few instances in California where they have gore signs that are more standard per the rest of the states, as opposed to the more California like gore signs that are small and obviously had the number added afterward. 

roadfro

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 link=topic=11045.msg2558558#msg2558558
What's interesting is all of those photos show the very few instances in California where they have gore signs that are more standard per the rest of the states, as opposed to the more California like gore signs that are small and obviously had the number added afterward.

Caltrans is very slowly starting to use the FHWA exit gore sign, but at a greater setback from the physical gore point. This thread on the Pacific Southwest board discussed in more detail.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

machias

The old "it's a word processing font"  approach to making a sign. Taken on the Jane Addams Tollway (ISHTA) in Des Plaines, Illinois on 12/31/2020. 

I have no idea how any contractor that has any sort of sense or smarts about making road signs can realize this is in any way correct.

JoePCool14

Quote from: machias on January 01, 2021, 03:40:01 PM
The old "it's a word processing font"  approach to making a sign. Taken on the Jane Addams Tollway (ISHTA) in Des Plaines, Illinois on 12/31/2020. 

I have no idea how any contractor that has any sort of sense or smarts about making road signs can realize this is in any way correct.

Wow those are incredibly ugly. I wonder if contacting ISTHA would get them to fix those.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 04, 2021, 10:12:26 PM

Wow those are incredibly ugly. I wonder if contacting ISTHA would get them to fix those.
NYSDOT had a contractor fix signage due to the same font problem on I-87 just north of Albany.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Android

Holy cow, seriously, is that Elmhurst sign in Series F?   

Okay, where I'm at, Wyoming, they played around with an odd bold Series F for a few scattered BGS,  20+ years ago.  Admittedly, they were a bit odd, but I actually like(d) them  (not sure if any of them are still up now), they were definitely done better than that Elmhurst garbage. 

-Andy T. Not much of a fan of Clearview

jakeroot

Quote from: Android on January 05, 2021, 02:23:29 AM
Holy cow, seriously, is that Elmhurst sign in Series F?

It looks like Series E(M), but with two additional errors: the standard 3/4ths error (the capitals are too large), but then it was either stretched horizontally or shrunk vertically as well. Double shit.

machias

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 04, 2021, 10:12:26 PM

I contacted ISHTA a couple of weeks ago but haven't heard anything back, perhaps others can do the same. I think whoever was designing the sign wrong realized the lowercase letters weren't meeting the plans so they stretched the letters out to fill in the gap left by the letters being too small instead of modifying the letters to the correct size.

tylert120

J3ebrules

^^ Wonder if "Interestingly vandalized signs"  is a thread yet. That's a good contender to start one.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.