Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: plain on October 19, 2021, 01:47:54 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 01:16:52 PM
Does anywhere else use these "there is a highway crossing which briefly multiplexes" arrows that are all over the place in PEI?

Chris

Wow, nice!!!

The only thing I can think of being remotely close to that are these signs VDOT sometimes use when a secondary route multiplexes with a primary one. This is on US 258 in Isle Of Wight County.

Yes...the 'L' shaped arrow is commonplace throughout.

The closest Virginia has to a double arrow like the PEI example is a vertical version, on the Eastern Shore:

April 2007

A different arrow marker in Virginia that I've only seen in a couple places is shown here:

https://goo.gl/maps/r8f7cydbCCmU3REn9

tolbs17

tolbs17

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 22, 2021, 04:47:33 PM
Quote from: snowc on October 22, 2021, 03:55:17 PM

and also a nonstandard sign for an all way stop ahead. :ded:

Ironically, having the STOP (well, ARRÊT) text inside the stop ahead sign is the standard in Québec.
Don't like it...it makes it look cartoonish.

Bruce

plain

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 22, 2021, 08:24:23 PM
A different arrow marker in Virginia that I've only seen in a couple places is shown here:

Nice! I think I've seen one of these in Louisa County back in the day
Newark born, Richmond bred

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 22, 2021, 08:24:23 PM

I wouldn't mind if these became standard.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Mapmikey

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jay8g

All of these zig-zag arrows make me think of this weird one in Eastern Washington.

LilianaUwU

As it is my 420th post, I wanna remind people of the infamous I-70 Mile 419.99 sign, and I show it here in the oldest Street View imagery because it too was stolen since:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2943907,-102.5924684,3a,15y,141.98h,87.92t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1se27hjL_RFQT8oMqf82_jDQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Bruce

Right turn only, unless you're small enough to make a tight left turn.

(Location: SE 37th Street in Bellevue, WA)

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on October 25, 2021, 02:47:22 AM

I love that. I remember turning left there before, not being sure if I was able to do it or not until after I made the turn. Seems to me that you have to line up for the left properly; approach at more of a "merging" angle and you're screwed.

ClassicHasClass

Why not a "TRUCK" banner with a No Left Turn sign instead?

jakeroot

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 25, 2021, 01:06:37 PM
Why not a "TRUCK" banner with a No Left Turn sign instead?

I think because even larger passenger cars can't make the turn without having approached properly. Small hatchbacks and other compact cars can make it, but like a Suburban or even Sequoia would have trouble.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Bruce on October 25, 2021, 02:47:22 AM

Wonder if anybody turned left into the path of oncoming traffic instead of jumping the median?

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Occidental Tourist

Does Washington have a special definition for "passenger vehicle"  in its driving laws? Or would we use a common definition that would include a bus?

jakeroot

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on October 25, 2021, 11:07:55 PM
Does Washington have a special definition for "passenger vehicle"  in its driving laws? Or would we use a common definition that would include a bus?

It does, yes: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.04.382

Quote from: RCW 46.04.382
"Passenger car" means every motor vehicle except motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, designed for carrying ten passengers or less and used for the transportation of persons.

So, apparently, motorcycles are not permitted to turn left. :-D

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on October 25, 2021, 11:39:59 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on October 25, 2021, 11:07:55 PM

It does, yes: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.04.382

Quote from: RCW 46.04.382
"Passenger car" means every motor vehicle except motorcycles and motor-driven cycles, designed for carrying ten passengers or less and used for the transportation of persons.

So, apparently, motorcycles are not permitted to turn left. :-D

Motorcycles are passenger vehicles but not passenger cars.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 25, 2021, 02:43:08 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 22, 2021, 08:14:20 PM
I just found Comic Sans on a road sign.
Thanks, I hate it.

Here's one in Virginia. Apparently at some point there was a problem with an inordinate number of turtles crossing the highway and a lady from Montgomery County was concerned about it and both designed and paid for the signs and their installation (total cost $3000). From what I understand, VDOT wasn't involved–whoever owned the Greenway at the time agreed to post the signs and they've remained up since then.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Dirt Roads

Thanks, I hate it.

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2021, 09:20:07 AM
Here's one in Virginia. Apparently at some point there was a problem with an inordinate number of turtles crossing the highway and a lady from Montgomery County was concerned about it and both designed and paid for the signs and their installation (total cost $3000). From what I understand, VDOT wasn't involved–whoever owned the Greenway at the time agreed to post the signs and they've remained up since then.

I remember on one of my first trips on the Dulles Greenway having to slow down to avoid a lady out in the middle of the westbound lanes rescuing a box turtle.  Soon after, the signs went up and there was a lengthy front section article in the Washington Post.  Not sure if I witnessed the same person that started this campaign, but it was an interesting coincidence.  I'm surprised that those signs are still in such good shape.

1995hoo

Quote from: Dirt Roads on October 26, 2021, 10:14:17 AM
I remember on one of my first trips on the Dulles Greenway having to slow down to avoid a lady out in the middle of the westbound lanes rescuing a box turtle.  Soon after, the signs went up and there was a lengthy front section article in the Washington Post.  Not sure if I witnessed the same person that started this campaign, but it was an interesting coincidence.  I'm surprised that those signs are still in such good shape.

I wonder whether the addition of the Metro line in the median, which poses a rather large obstacle, might cause the turtles to stop trying to cross the road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 26, 2021, 09:20:07 AM
Thanks, I hate it.

Telling people to brake for turtles on a freeway sounds like a liability issue for DOT.

hbelkins

Probably mentioned before, but Comic Sans is used often when some version of tribal language is used as supplemental text on an English sign. I've seen this primarily in New York along I-86.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.