Previous topic - Next topic

Which is better?

Wood
5 (45.5%)
Metal
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

tolbs17

When the new NC 11 bypass opened in November 2019, there is a lot of wooden post signs. I feel like they are not as durable compared to the metal ones. I prefer the metal posts. This is definitely different compared to the new highways I've seen open. Normally signs are all on metal posts

Ex: https://goo.gl/maps/gtpk2wGgRZJs74wu6

https://goo.gl/maps/X4eZdF3hpGT9X9mYA

https://goo.gl/maps/RJ3TrwDJLY38xQj38

These are metal however: https://goo.gl/maps/HuaffaxwXJ8VEHaL9

Max Rockatansky

Wooden posts never seemed to make much a difference in California.  Wood posts are so common out west that it isn't even notable. 

tolbs17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2022, 03:30:12 PM
Wooden posts never seemed to make much a difference in California.  Wood posts are so common out west that it isn't even notable.
Ah. It seems like they use them on every sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/GDNDH8brdPKnFmnPA

https://goo.gl/maps/gnKSvfW4Ae2EqDW97

https://goo.gl/maps/zCKHLquvyDH2enJ36

ran4sh

Either type is supposed to be crashworthy. This is achieved either by being a breakaway post that gives way when hit by a car, or by having a barrier such as guardrail preventing cars from hitting the sign. Further reading https://www.trafficsign.us/signposts.html

At least in my area, the main use of wooden posts is with specific service/logo signs on freeways, most other signs use metal posts.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Road Hog

Wooden 4x4 posts were common in Missouri. Wooden backing on signs in Texas was common up until a few years ago because they kept getting clipped by mowers and the splintery evidence was plain to see.

I think Texas is plain sheet metal now on signs. TxDOT posts have been pipe for as long as I can remember, but I'm still a young pup.

US 89

Wooden posts (and signs themselves, for that matter) are generally a good first-order approximation of how old a sign is in Utah - I don't think there's much if any wooden sign infrastructure in Utah that is newer than about 15 years old.

Idaho and Wyoming also make extensive use of wooden posts and signs, but it seems Idaho might be starting to shift towards using more metal.

Scott5114

Kansas uses a decent amount of wooden posts on smaller signs like route markers. Large freeway signage uses metal posts, however.

Oklahoma doesn't use wooden posts at all, to my knowledge.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Road Hog

Arkansas exclusively uses U-channel posts for most non-interstate signage. Until the early 1990s they added a bracing post for most signs. They also bolted signs with a standard 9/16" carriage bolt and nut. Don't ask me how I know that. I learned that from a friend. :)

gonealookin

We're all metal in Nevada.  Years ago I posted a photo of an oddball wood post installation and it immediately drew comment.

That sign was replaced with the permanent metal post one when they got around to installing the flashing lights.

thenetwork

I don't see any big difference wood or metal posts for side-mounted BGSs, since they usually are now getting replaced every 10-15 years when they they lose their reflectivity.  For metal post replacements, many states replace the posts along with the signs.

Big John

Wisconsin uses wood posts on many signs.

MATraveler128

They have wooden posts in Maine as well.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Alps

Quote from: US 89 on February 15, 2022, 06:42:00 PM
Wooden posts (and signs themselves, for that matter) are generally a good first-order approximation of how old a sign is in Utah - I don't think there's much if any wooden sign infrastructure in Utah that is newer than about 15 years old.

Idaho and Wyoming also make extensive use of wooden posts and signs, but it seems Idaho might be starting to shift towards using more metal.
CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is post number 1,000,000!!!

LilianaUwU

Québec never ever uses wooden posts except maybe for temporary BGS supports. On the other hand, New Brunswick seems to love using wooden posts on anything but BGS.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

US 89

Quote from: Alps on February 15, 2022, 09:34:50 PM

Do I win something?  :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on February 15, 2022, 11:00:39 PM

All post counts are permanently set to 0.

GaryV

Quote from: US 89 on February 15, 2022, 11:00:39 PM

A free lifetime subscription to the forum.

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on February 15, 2022, 06:56:53 PM
We're all metal in Nevada.  Years ago I posted a photo of an oddball wood post installation and it immediately drew comment.

That sign was replaced with the permanent metal post one when they got around to installing the flashing lights.

Came to this thread to comment on Nevada, but you beat me to it. Aside from temporary/construction signage, wood posts are not a regular thing in Nevada.

As an aside, some of those old wind warning signs in the Washoe Valley area always kinda confused me: "when prohibited, trucks are prohibited". How were you supposed to know that a prohibition was in effect? From certain vantage points (like the Eastlake Blvd onramp depicted), there are no warning lights or VMS displays to warn of the prohibition. Glad they installed beacons and changed the sign.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

webny99

Darn, can't believe I missed it! Knew we were getting close but it snuck up on me.

The forum now officially has more posts than WY, VT, AK, SD, and ND have people. Probably Delaware too, although it's actually pretty plausible that Delaware could have hit 1 million at around the same time this was posted.  :biggrin:

andrepoiy

Ontario also uses wooden for a fair number of signs, although I don't think I have seen a pattern. However, if the sign doesn't go directly into the ground (for example if it's mounted on a jersey barrier), it's metal.

Bitmapped

WVDOH is all steel for its sign supports. It also has a tendency to use break-away I-beams for a lot of signs that would be regular U-channel in other places.

PennDOT likes to use wood posts for non-BGS signage along freeways and other controlled-access highways. If it's big enough to get an extruded panel sign, it's on steel I-beams. PennDOT also uses regular U-channel and Telespar along surface roads.

Ohio's ODOT is all about U-channel and Telespar for signage. There were some examples of BGS mounted on large wood posts, but those were few and far between.

MDSHA uses wood posts for a substantial amount of non-BGS signage on both freeways and surface roads. They use Telespar posts, too, and I've not noticed any particular pattern for what gets what. Maybe knock-downs get Telespar for quick replacement and larger signage projects get wood posts?

Bruce

WSDOT uses a fairly even mix, especially in areas where signage is expected to change periodically. Our climate isn't too harsh on wood, though the posts can show signs of rot after a while.

US71

MODOT used to use primarily wood posts, but have been slowly switching to metal.

ARDOT uses primarily metal.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.