News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Uncommon Street Name Suffixes

Started by Alex, July 29, 2009, 01:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DandyDan

The Omaha area has a number of streets which end in Plaza. If you live in an apartment there, it's likely you live on a Plaza, although none of them are officially maintained by the city.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

apeman33

Garden City, Kansas, has four frontage roads designated as "Plaza" that would probably be known as terraces in other places.

Kansas Plaza actually has two sections off Kansas Ave., one from Third to Center and the other from Fleming St. to Campus Dr.

Fulton Plaza is just off Fulton St. It's only a block long.

There are two Taylor plazas off Taylor Ave. These aren't disconnected parts of the same road like Kansas Avenue. These are on either side of Taylor Ave. Taylor Plaza East runs from Alma St. to Campbell St. Taylor Plaza West runs from Olive to Campbell (it's the shorter of the two).

Interestingly, there is a Fulton Terrace but it's a parking lot for an office park and I think it's only named as such so that the offices back farther from the street can have their own addresses (instead an office being "1520 Fulton St. Suite J," it's "1538 Fulton Terrace.")

So the plazas are actually terraces and the terrace is actually a plaza.

Meanwhile, over in Dodge City, there are streets called Cannery Row and Elbow Bend.

kphoger

Quote from: apeman33 on January 16, 2019, 01:14:02 AM
Garden City, Kansas, has four frontage roads designated as "Plaza" that would probably be known as terraces in other places.

Kansas Plaza actually has two sections off Kansas Ave., one from Third to Center and the other from Fleming St. to Campus Dr.

Fulton Plaza is just off Fulton St. It's only a block long.

There are two Taylor plazas off Taylor Ave. These aren't disconnected parts of the same road like Kansas Avenue. These are on either side of Taylor Ave. Taylor Plaza East runs from Alma St. to Campbell St. Taylor Plaza West runs from Olive to Campbell (it's the shorter of the two).

Interestingly, there is a Fulton Terrace but it's a parking lot for an office park and I think it's only named as such so that the offices back farther from the street can have their own addresses (instead an office being "1520 Fulton St. Suite J," it's "1538 Fulton Terrace.")

So the plazas are actually terraces and the terrace is actually a plaza.

To me, a Terrace is just like a Street, because that's how Kansas City does it.

To me, a Plaza could be a cul-de-sac, a multi-dwelling complex, a business park, or something like that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MantyMadTown

In Madison, we have a few streets named Crest, over by the Hilldale Mall.
Forget the I-41 haters

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2019, 01:05:25 PM
To me, a Terrace is just like a Street, because that's how Kansas City does it.

To me, a Plaza could be a cul-de-sac, a multi-dwelling complex, a business park, or something like that.

To me, a Terrace would be something built into or off of the side of a slope, elevated (presumably artificially) on its downslope side. In other words, like a terrace. :-)

A Plaza would be something rather wide and open, with some kind of suggested (if not actual) public function. In other words, like a plaza. :-)

Here's an example of what I think of as a "Plaza": https://goo.gl/maps/dRcSExPRhBp
Here's a "Terrace": https://goo.gl/maps/nTaPVMLNaF42

apeman33

I was thinking of "Terrace" in the way some cities may call a street "XYZ Terrace" since it either is a spur of or runs parallel to an "XYZ Street." In each of Garden City's cases of "Plaza," the street's function is like that of a frontage road.

Fulton Terrace, on the other hand, functions the way kphoger described one of his definitions of a plaza: it's a business park. Every front door faces the parking lot but are addressed as though they face a street.

The one building on Fulton Terrace is L shaped and the addresses are based on the way a theoretical street in front of them would run. The offices in the north-south leg of the L have addresses of the 200 North block of Fulton Terrace but the east-west leg's offices are addressed as the 1500 East block.

Evan_Th

A couple years ago, I stayed in a hotel just off "Great Highway" in San Francisco.

kphoger

Quote from: Evan_Th on January 18, 2019, 05:36:41 PM
A couple years ago, I stayed in a hotel just off "Great Highway" in San Francisco.

"Highway" is not an uncommon generic.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Kacie Jane

The Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary has a few Trails in the surrounding Stampede fairgrounds, but more unique is that the arena's street address is on Saddledome Rise SE.

roadman65

Real in California which I believe is been talked about in El Camino Real.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CNGL-Leudimin

"Real" is not a street suffix prefix in Spanish. "Camino" is, and as such it is the "suffix" in El Camino Real.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

JustDrive

There's a residential area in Ventura, CA named after U.S. presidents where there's an "Arthur Rondo"  and a "Garfield Rondo."

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2019, 10:28:54 PM
Real in California which I believe is been talked about in El Camino Real.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 29, 2019, 08:56:18 AM
"Real" is not a street suffix prefix in Spanish. "Camino" is, and as such it is the "suffix" in El Camino Real.

To be specific...

El = The
Camino = Road
Real = Royal

In Spanish, the adjective most often comes after the noun–unlike in English, in which the adjective almost always comes first–and the same sort of difference exists with street names.

For example, the route I often take when coming into a particular town in Mexico is as follows:
Calle 16 de Septiembre
Calle Ramos Arizpe
Calle Eugenio Aguirre Benavides
Calle Orilla de Agua

It should be obvious by those street names that they don't all have different "suffixes".  Rather, "calle" means "street".

This is why I don't like referring to it as a "suffix" at all.  Instead, I refer to it as the "generic" and the main part of the street name as the "specific".  Then it doesn't matter which comes first.
Male pronouns, please.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2019, 07:11:04 PM
This is why I don't like referring to it as a "suffix" at all.  Instead, I refer to it as the "generic" and the main part of the street name as the "specific".  Then it doesn't matter which comes first.

Affix, then.

hotdogPi

Calle 16 de Septiembre

What is the point of streets named after days of the year? I know they are everywhere, but I don't know why they exist.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

roadman65

Well Camino is uncommon in US usage despite it means road.  Calle is Street so a Main Street would be Calle Main.  In Miami 8th Street is called Calle Ocho and along US 41 it has three names on the street sign.  US 41 runs along 8th and is called the Tamiami Trail in addition to 8th Street, but its in Little Havana there so, its in Spanish too.

Sheryl Crowe

MantyMadTown

Quote from: roadman65 on March 30, 2019, 09:55:37 PM
Well Camino is uncommon in US usage despite it means road.  Calle is Street so a Main Street would be Calle Main.  In Miami 8th Street is called Calle Ocho and along US 41 it has three names on the street sign.  US 41 runs along 8th and is called the Tamiami Trail in addition to 8th Street, but its in Little Havana there so, its in Spanish too.

Isn't Calle Ocho part of the long name for Pitbull's song I Know You Want Me? I didn't know Calle Ocho was a street.
Forget the I-41 haters

oscar

Well Camino is uncommon in US usage despite it means road.

Fairly common in California, and perhaps other states that were once part of Mexico.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2019, 08:26:47 PM
Calle 16 de Septiembre

What is the point of streets named after days of the year? I know they are everywhere, but I don't know why they exist.

Imagine New York building a "September 11th Memorial Highway" and you'll be on the right track.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MantyMadTown

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2019, 02:33:57 AM
Calle 16 de Septiembre

Imagine New York building a "September 11th Memorial Highway" and you'll be on the right track.

If New York designated a "September 11th Memorial Highway", where would it be?
Forget the I-41 haters

Verlanka

Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 31, 2019, 03:55:30 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 31, 2019, 02:33:57 AM
Calle 16 de Septiembre

If New York designated a "September 11th Memorial Highway", where would it be?
Probably in Manhattan, beginning near the WTC.

kphoger

Calle 16 de Septiembre

The dates are significant.

16 de Septiembre, for example, is Independence Day in Mexico.  So, instead of the street being called Ca. Independencia, it's called Ca. 16 de Septiembre instead.

Another street nearby is named in commemoration of the Battle of Puebla:  instead of being called Ca. Batalla de Puebla, it's called Ca. 5 de Mayo instead.
Male pronouns, please.

skluth

Quote from: oscar on March 30, 2019, 11:15:02 PM
Well Camino is uncommon in US usage despite it means road.

Fairly common in California, and perhaps other states that were once part of Mexico.

I live in California and agree. My home is just off Camino Real in Palm Springs. Nearby (all within a mile or so) are Camino Descanso, Camino Carmelita, Camino Encano, Barranca, Camino Alturas, and Camino Bueno Vista. You get the idea.

Other Spanish street names close by include Calle Palo Fierro, Calle Bravo, Via Carisma, Via Lazo, Avenida Granada, and Avenida Palmera. I could go on but again, you get the idea. There is even an Calle El Segundo which means Second Street.

Keeping to the thread topic, another nearby street is named simply Oro Prado which translates to Gold Meadow. I don't think there's been a Meadow suffix mentioned much less in Spanish.

roadman65

Charlotte County, FL has a Tucker's Grade.  Now all roads are graded but do many use that term "Grade?"

Sheryl Crowe

oscar

Quote from: skluth on March 31, 2019, 07:14:46 PM
Other Spanish street names close by include Calle Palo Fierro, Calle Bravo, Via Carisma, Via Lazo, Avenida Granada, and Avenida Palmera. I could go on but again, you get the idea. There is even an Calle El Segundo which means Second Street.

And, to follow up on a few examples upthread, "Alameda" means "tree-lined avenue". It can be used as a complete street name, or "The Alameda" (which really should be "La Alameda", to keep it all in Spanish), or as part of a longer name such as "Alameda Padre Serra" (Father Serra Avenue, even though he is now a saint) in Santa Barbara.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.