Route numbers that could be speed limits

Started by hotdogPi, January 28, 2015, 03:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan_Th

Quote from: jaehak on March 23, 2023, 12:56:17 PM
When I was I n high school this girl I was dating got on I-35 in KC and started driving super slow. I asked her why and she said "Speed limit is 35"   :-D

Was she perchance drunk at the time?

Streetman

Seeing this topic I have to post this joke, hoping it's not inappropriate here:

A Connecticut state trooper pulls over a car on the Merritt Parkway for going too slow. He finds it occupied by four nuns and asks the driver, "Why were you driving so slowly?"
"I saw the signs saying 15, the speed limit."
"No, Sister, 15 is the route number. The speed limit is 55 mph, with a minimum of 40."
Then one of the passengers says, "Sister Beatrice, that explains why we almost got into all those accidents when we were on I-95!"

thspfc

Doesn't look like anyone's done WI yet

20 - no
25 - almost entirely no
30 - no. WI-30 is a freeway.
40 - no
45 - I'm sure there are a few 45 MPH sections of US-45, but overall, no
50 - wouldn't be the end of the world, but would definitely feel slow, especially since it's almost all 4-lane divided. It gets purple.
55 - that's what it is, outside of the handful of towns it passes through.
60 - would work fine in the rural areas that comprise the vast majority of this route. Though the stretch from I-39/90/94 to Spring Green is better off at 55 due to curves.
65 - too fast
70 - ehhh . . . no two lane road should ever be posted this fast, but if I had to choose one in WI to be posted at 70, WI-70 is a candidate.
75 - no
80 - no
85 - no
90 - sounds nice in theory, but would be chaos. Way too much truck traffic (and just traffic in general) on I-90 in WI for 90 MPH to be anything but a disaster.
95 - yeah sure it'll be fine, just trust me bro
100 - 100 through the busiest surface intersection in the state? What could go wrong?

mgk920

I've mentioned this in other threads, but I wonder how many speeding tickets Chicago Police have written over the years on Cicero Av (IL 50), especially since Illinois state route shields look so much like MUTCD speed limit signs.

:hmmm:

Mike

JayhawkCO

I think it's safe to say that none of Alaska's apply. Maaaaaybe AK10 in the winter.

computerfan0

I'm going to make 2 lists for Ireland: one in km/h and one in mph.

km/h
N10, N20, N30 -> too slow
N40 -> could possibly work for some sliproads, otherwise too slow.
M50 -> would work for some sliproads and the section by the toll but otherwise too slow.
N60 -> may work when passing through towns but otherwise a bit too slow.
N70 -> would be a bit slow in places but tolerable
N80 -> slightly slower than desirable but still suitable
90, 100 -> roads do not exist
R110, R120 etc. -> too fast (low numbered R-roads are located in Dublin City, so no chance of ever doing 120km/h or whatever there)

mph
N10, N15, N20, N25 -> too slow
N30 -> may have been suitable for the sections through town centres, but these have since been bypassed.
35 -> road does not exist
N40 -> may work on some sliproads, but otherwise rather slow.
45 -> road also does not exist
M50 -> would be suitable, albeit slightly slow on the quieter southern portion
N55, N60 -> suitable outside of towns
N65 -> overly fast in places but not terrible
N70 -> may work in places, but too fast in others
N75 -> high, but more capable of handling fast traffic than the N70
N80, N85 -> getting too fast at this point

DriverDave

roadman65

FL 60 is 60 mph across Old Tampa Bay. :-D
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

gonealookin

Nevada has only a couple state routes in the two digits, and both end in 8, so those don't qualify.  Looking at the qualifying Interstates and US routes:

I-15:  Not as a posted limit, but that's the actual speed at times through Vegas, and approaching the California state line on weekends.
US 50:  Yes, 50 is posted near some developed areas, locally on the 4-lane segment from Glenbrook over Spooner Summit to I-580/US 395.
I-80:  Yes, 80 is the posted limit for a number of segments.
US 95:  We're not going to post a 95 mph limit any time soon, but it would be feasible, particularly on the 4-lane divided highway from the edge of the developed area of the Las Vegas Valley up to Mercury, and also from I-11 at Boulder City south to the SR 163 junction.  There are even a few two-lane segments that could be argued for, notably from Tonopah west to Coaldale Junction.

GaryV

Quote from: GaryV on January 28, 2015, 08:03:06 PM
Michigan:

I-75 - I wish

This thread has been resurrected from so far in the past, that my wish has come true, at least for the northern 60% of the route.

mgk920

Quote from: GaryV on August 29, 2023, 07:07:32 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 28, 2015, 08:03:06 PM
Michigan:

I-75 - I wish

This thread has been resurrected from so far in the past, that my wish has come true, at least for the northern 60% of the route.

M-35?

:spin:

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.