Where the main roads are close together

Started by hbelkins, December 27, 2022, 01:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The major N-S US routes end in "1" and the major E-W US routes end in "0."

Discarding the diagonal natures of US 11 and US 41, which cross other x1 routes, why are there places where the major routes are very close together?

This is more of phenomenon with the x0 E-W routes.

Yes, there are places where they are close to each other at their termini (US 30 and US 40 in Atlantic City; several x0 routes historically in LA, etc.), but how about other places?

US 40 and US 50 both serve St. Louis and Kansas City. US 20 and US 30 have a concurrency in Idaho. And US 51 and US 61 both go through Memphis.

Were there particular reasons why more than one major route was routed through a city served by another one?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Not sure but in Ohio you cross US-20, 30, 40 and 50.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2022, 01:27:20 PM
The major N-S US routes end in "1" and the major E-W US routes end in "0."

Discarding the diagonal natures of US 11 and US 41, which cross other x1 routes, why are there places where the major routes are very close together?

This is more of phenomenon with the x0 E-W routes.

Yes, there are places where they are close to each other at their termini (US 30 and US 40 in Atlantic City; several x0 routes historically in LA, etc.), but how about other places?

US 40 and US 50 both serve St. Louis and Kansas City. US 20 and US 30 have a concurrency in Idaho. And US 51 and US 61 both go through Memphis.

Were there particular reasons why more than one major route was routed through a city served by another one?

For the events, I think this is just the result of 9 "major" US highways being compressed into an area about 1,000 miles wide.  For the odds, there were 11 major highways, but seven of them were routed at some point east of the Mississippi River. They had to go somewhere right? And since the highways were assigned to major roads at the time and those roads usually went to cities.

elsmere241

US 40 and 50 used to have a long concurrency through the Mountain West, according to some old atlases I've perused over the years.  The US 50 Alternate that ran through eastern Nevada (now US 93A) and co-existed with US 40 and US 89 was a relic of that.  Later US 50 was moved to follow US 6 through Utah - it takes a more direct route now.

KeithE4Phx

Between 1934 and 1969, US 60 and 70 were concurrent from Globe AZ to Los Angeles.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

elsmere241

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on December 27, 2022, 02:29:15 PM
Between 1934 and 1969, US 60 and 70 were concurrent from Globe AZ to Los Angeles.

US 80 tied in there as well for some of that.

Bruce

The I-90/US 2/US 395 concurrency in Spokane has to count.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bruce on December 27, 2022, 02:33:17 PM

Why? None of the US routes end in 0 or 1.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Evan_Th

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2022, 03:11:07 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 27, 2022, 02:33:17 PM

Why? None of the US routes end in 0 or 1.

US 2 takes the place of US 0, and I-90 used to be US 10.

TheHighwayMan3561

US 20 and 30 also navigate Chicagoland, thanks to the Great Lakes.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

US-30 also ends up north of US-20 on the west end. But I'm pretty sure that US-20 was extended as US-30 is the only US route that has run coast to coast since the beginning of the US highway system.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 27, 2022, 05:07:50 PM
US-30 also ends up north of US-20 on the west end. But I'm pretty sure that US-20 was extended as US-30 is the only US route that has run coast to coast since the beginning of the US highway system.

Yes, 20 originally ended going west at the Yellowstone entrance.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Don't say that to David Sturm on Freeway Jim on FB.  Oh he argued with me over US 20 being the true to coast to coast route. His argument was Astoria,OR is not directly on the Pacific Ocean. When I brought up the fact Boston isn't for US 20 he said the Boston Harbor is an Estuary of the Atlantic and counts as part of it where the Columbia River is 12 miles inland where US 30 ends.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

US 30 & US 40 both end in Atlantic City, NJ, roughly 2 miles from each other.  At their closest, just off the barrier island, they're about 3/4 mile from each other.

Dirt Roads

There's an interesting theme imbedded in AARoads that the US-X5s seem to be regarded as major highways, rather than the US-X1s (as intended by the American Automobile Association in their original numbering scheme).  Anyhow, I will add my two bits that some folks might consider both US-X1s and US-X5s as the major north-south highways.  US-21, US-60 and US-35 all came together in roughly the same place on the far West Side of Charleston, West Virginia.  US-35 didn't touch US-21 for much of their history.  But US-21 and US-60 were multiplexed from this point southeastward, so I'm not sure that the OP would consider these as "close together" since they are too close for comfort.

Anyhow, we had a recent similar thread where I discussed this location ad naseum:  Closest U.S Routes get without Intersecting

roadman65

US 25 and 27 are close in Kentucky.

US 40 and 50 both serve St.Louis and Kansas City. Plus historically served both Sacramento and San Francisco having on common endpoint in the latter.

US 301 and 401 are both close in Fayetteville, NC.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

From where US-10's eastern terminus is at just outside of Bay City, Michigan to the location directly south (via air miles) along US-50 west of Hillsboro, Ohio it is a distance of 304 miles.

To drive from the eastern terminus of US-10 which is at I-75 just outside of Bay City to where I-75 and US-50 intersect in Cincinnati it's 346 miles which can be accomplished in about 5 hours.

Now from US-50 west of downtown Cincinnati to a location on US-90 northwest of Tallahassee, Florida it's 580 miles (almost 900 miles south of US-10).

To drive that is quite a distance further at 714 miles which can be accomplished in about 11 hours.

With those distances stated it's like they were planned to be about a hundred miles apart.

Road Hog

Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 06:05:31 PM

Don't say that to David Sturm on Freeway Jim on FB.  Oh he argued with me over US 20 being the true to coast to coast route. His argument was Astoria,OR is not directly on the Pacific Ocean. When I brought up the fact Boston isn't for US 20 he said the Boston Harbor is an Estuary of the Atlantic and counts as part of it where the Columbia River is 12 miles inland where US 30 ends.

Good lord, a US highway doesn't have to terminate at a boat ramp to be considered "coast to coast."

US 89

And that super wide, tidal, salty Columbia River literally at sea level isn't an estuary somehow. Good grief.

Bruce

US 20 ends 900 meters inland from the ocean. It's not coast to coast then!

Flint1979

Well he don't know what he is talking about then. Astoria is close enough to the coast and US-30 ends at it's last chance at US-101 so I'd say that it is indeed coast to coast. Can't go much further west of where US-30 ends on land.

Flint1979

Quote from: US 89 on December 28, 2022, 01:46:19 AM

And that super wide, tidal, salty Columbia River literally at sea level isn't an estuary somehow. Good grief.
Right. I don't know what he calls this if it isn't an estuary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_River_Estuary

Rothman

In Weedsport, NY, NY 31 and NY 34 are a block away from each other for a good stretch.  NYSDOT maintains the blocks inbetween.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on December 28, 2022, 09:36:22 AM
In Weedsport, NY, NY 31 and NY 34 are a block away from each other for a good stretch.  NYSDOT maintains the blocks inbetween.

The topic that you're talking about is a legitimate thread, but not this one. (This thread should probably be renamed to avoid confusion.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

zachary_amaryllis

US 30,40,and 50 are all fairly close together in this area to varying degrees.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.