News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Can we restrict roundabout discussions?

Started by Molandfreak, April 14, 2023, 03:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Seriously, people ranting about how much they hate roundabouts just derails good discussions. This isn't your soapbox, nor is it the place to post your conspiracy theories that DOTs are purposely wasting money on them.

Discussions like these are no better than the Daylight Savings Time discussions that got banned. They go absolutely nowhere. If you want to post about how much you hate roundabouts, the "unpopular road-related opinions"  thread is the place to do it. Nowhere else.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kphoger

Quote from: Molandfreak on April 14, 2023, 03:24:55 PM
If you want to post about how much you hate roundabouts, the "unpopular road-related opinions"  thread is the place to do it. Nowhere else.

But it's a popular opinion.  Arguably, it's more popular than liking them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Molandfreak

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 03:32:23 PM
If you want to post about how much you hate roundabouts, the "unpopular road-related opinions"  thread is the place to do it. Nowhere else.

Which is exactly the problem. I see enough people complaining about them elsewhere on the internet and I'm just sick of it. State detail threads shouldn't be getting overrun with uncompromising people ranting about traffic control changes that tangentially relate to the actual discussion.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

kalvado

any specific thread you have in mind? I don't see too much recent discussions like you describe

kphoger

OK, then, only if we also restrict people complaining about North Carolina's fondness for Interstate designations, Robert Moses, the I-69 trident in Texas, Breezewood, the use of small towns and general regions as control cities, Bud Shuster, the NMSL, and Colorado's refusal to sign concurrent US Routes along Interstate corridors.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Molandfreak

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 03:46:24 PM
OK, then, only if we also restrict people complaining about North Carolina's fondness for Interstate designations, Robert Moses, the I-69 trident in Texas, Breezewood, the use of small towns and general regions as control cities, Bud Shuster, the NMSL, and Colorado's refusal to sign concurrent US Routes along Interstate corridors.

I love all of those things! Except Robert Moses. He was a dick.

jeffandnicole

Maybe other than one person being extremely opinionated about a roundabout in that discussion, being that the roundabout idea is a DOT proposal, it seems extremely on-topic for that thread at that point in time.

Max Rockatansky

How can you restrict this particular soapbox though?  Even if you did, what other soapboxes would need restricting?  Do we stop people next from complaining about I-238 and I-99?

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 03:46:24 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 14, 2023, 05:31:52 PM
How can you restrict this particular soapbox though?  Even if you did, what other soapboxes would need restricting?  Do we stop people next from complaining about I-238 and I-99?

Already suggested.   :-P
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

This is AARoads where most people aren't happy with the system. Heck we got members here who won't patronize a business in Breezewood, PA because the Turnpike and I-70 don't directly connect.

You're not going to stop complaining among users.   Look at MMM, it took over a month to get him to stop only cause he got the boot.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Molandfreak

Quote from: roadman65 on April 14, 2023, 06:40:18 PM
This is AARoads where most people aren't happy with the system. Heck we got members here who won't patronize a business in Breezewood, PA because the Turnpike and I-70 don't directly connect.

You're not going to stop complaining among users.   Look at MMM, it took over a month to get him to stop only cause he got the boot.
I'll never understand the duality here. I've never seen a positive interaction with this user, yet nobody is complaining as loudly as they did about MMM. At least MMM was funny at times, this guy is just a consistent stick in the mud.

hotdogPi

Alternative thread title: "Can we restrict discussions that don't make an obvious point but rather do it subtly?"
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 14, 2023, 07:00:32 PM
What's wrong with that song?

"Roundabout" by Yes

You are officially my favorite person in the world.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NE2

What's wrong is that mountains don't come out of the sky (not even the south side). If they did, gravity would pull them to earth.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LilianaUwU

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 14, 2023, 07:26:28 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 14, 2023, 07:00:32 PM
What's wrong with that song?

"Roundabout" by Yes

You are officially my favorite person in the world.
*insert a joke about ZA WARUDO being used to lock the thread in the near future*
—Mr. Thwomp

hbelkins

Seriously, people ranting about how much they hate roundabouts just derails good discussions. This isn't your soapbox, nor is it the place to post your conspiracy theories that DOTs are purposely wasting money on them.

Discussions like these are no better than the Daylight Savings Time discussions that got banned. They go absolutely nowhere. If you want to post about how much you hate roundabouts, the "unpopular road-related opinions"  thread is the place to do it. Nowhere else.

I prefer "popular road-related opinions" because roundabouts are that bad.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LilianaUwU

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2023, 08:02:16 PM
I gotta agree with you there. Then again, I'm biased against roundabouts because I've experienced the single most inappropriate use of them (at the northern end of QC 199).
—Mr. Thwomp

Scott5114

If it's not related to the original topic at hand and it goes on for a bit, we can split it off to its own thread. It is clearly a topic within the forum's remit, though, so we're probably not going to wholesale restrict discussion on the topic.

If anything, control city or renumbering discussions derail threads worse.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kalvado

Now we need to make this a roundabout bashing thread. Just like with Limon thread.

GaryV

kalvado

Quote from: GaryV on April 15, 2023, 07:21:21 AM
Limon has roundabouts?
I-70 - US-287 - BL-70 interchange in Limon is a diamond. It should become the first roundabout on the interstate mainline!

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 03:32:23 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2023, 08:02:16 PM

I personally love roundabouts.  But I totally agree that hating them is a popular road-related opinion.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.