News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NEW features

Started by rickmastfan67, March 26, 2024, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Quillz on March 26, 2024, 04:51:59 PMIs there a way to have a rich text editor?

Pay him a high salary.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 26, 2024, 09:46:20 PMI'm a big fan of the Like button though! Helps to show support for a post without needing to reply. Please don't take that away!
I thought the mods/admins didn't have it before was the thought that it would create a popularity contest.

Scott5114

Oh, neat, if you click the link in a reply to jump back to the original, it highlights the post you jumped back to in yellow.

Regarding avatars—they appear just fine on desktop; they're hidden on mobile to save space on the screen. So if you want full functionality...use a desktop, same as before.

stormwatch7721

I was a little lost finding the forum titles.

Henry

It certainly was aggravating not being able to log in yesterday, but at least now I know why.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jlam

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 26, 2024, 10:32:20 PMRegarding avatars—they appear just fine on desktop; they're hidden on mobile to save space on the screen. So if you want full functionality...use a desktop, same as before.
Ah, that makes more sense. I was away from my computer when making that observation, so I assumed that was the way it was universally. It does look much more compact on mobile devices, so kudos to that I guess.

The font used for in-progress replies (like this one I'm actively writing) is an improvement over the old one as well. It looks like some sort of serif Ubuntu or something?

webny99

It seems there's nowhere to get to your personal profile directly from the home page anymore, which will take some getting used to.

Techknow

Quote from: webny99 on March 26, 2024, 11:26:02 PMIt seems there's nowhere to get to your personal profile directly from the home page anymore, which will take some getting used to.
At the top of any page in the forum there's a highlight-able button that when clicked, shows links to your profile, posts, among other things.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on March 26, 2024, 11:26:02 PMIt seems there's nowhere to get to your personal profile directly from the home page anymore, which will take some getting used to.

There's a bar at the top of the screen with your avatar in it.  Click that and then click the big avatar, and that takes you to your profile.

Scott5114

Quote from: jlam on March 26, 2024, 11:21:03 PMThe font used for in-progress replies (like this one I'm actively writing) is an improvement over the old one as well. It looks like some sort of serif Ubuntu or something?

It's whatever your browser's monospaced font is set to (so mine is Fira Mono).

Rothman

I quite like this new format, since it is so much better on the phone than the old one.  Finally can give up Tapatalk for this.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Quillz

Quote from: Quillz on March 26, 2024, 04:51:59 PMIs there a way to have a rich text editor? It seems it defaults to plain text, although maybe it's always been this way and I just haven't noticed before?
Oh, it turns out you can! The setting "WYSIWYG" is within your account/profile settings, but turned off by default. This is nice, as I don't think this was in use with the older version.

On an unrelated note, it seems the update also reset the time zone settings. I had to change mine back, so if you are noticing time stamps being off, check your settings.

Katavia

Okay, browsing/posting from mobile and I am getting NO theme, just plain text - regardless of login status. Looks weird as hell. However guessing it's something to do with my mobile browser's (Brave, in my case) ad/tracker blocker, since the default theme reappeared once I turned it off.

Edit: Or maybe it was just one of those weird momentary code gremlins, since it shows up now.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

1995hoo

I like the way when you click a link to a post on the forum's home screen (such as in the Recent Posts list), or when you click the "new" button to view unread posts in a thread, the post to which the link points highlights in yellow.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

First post from the new mobile website. Huge improvement over what we had before! Planning to use this over Tapatalk going forward.  :clap:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JoePCool14

Quote from: Big John on March 26, 2024, 10:31:06 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 26, 2024, 09:46:20 PMI'm a big fan of the Like button though! Helps to show support for a post without needing to reply. Please don't take that away!
I thought the mods/admins didn't have it before was the thought that it would create a popularity contest.

I think that's why they previously didn't. I don't really see that as being an issue here. Most members are old enough to not make a big deal about likes.

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 27, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

I think that's why they previously didn't. I don't really see that as being an issue here. Most members are old enough to not make a big deal about likes.

Famous last words, given the forum's history and threads about one's post counts...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

At least there isn't an overall Like count for each profile that I've found. It's just on a per-post basis. That should keep things reasonable.

On an unrelated note, while we're in this whole new forum process, is it possible to put more emotes away under the More button? I'm thinking about some of the rarely used emotes, such as...

:poke:  :coffee:  :sombrero:  :awesomeface:  :meh:

There's just so many there right now.

andrepoiy

This theme takes me back to the old days when I interacted on more forums, the majority of which had the default theme

IMGoph

There used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

hotdogPi

I'm still seeing it. Even on mobile, which has been streamlined.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 27, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

We had a thread around ten years ago regarding whether there ought to be a "like post" button. The sentiment was largely that it wasn't needed.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=11356.0

The comments I made back then continue to reflect my overall feeling about that sort of thing, so I'll simply quote what I said in 2014:

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2014, 09:43:23 AMI really don't like the idea of a "dislike" button. I think if you disagree with someone's comment enough to be motivated to give some indication of it, you should give a reason why you feel that way (preferably more than just "yawn" or "fuck you," but then, if someone posts that sort of reply, it just damages his own credibility).

I don't really see much reason for "like" or "dislike" buttons because I don't think it's hard to assess the value of a post. It's sort of like perusing the reviews on Amazon.com when considering whether to buy a product. They do let people vote on whether reviews are helpful, but I don't need the vote count because I think it's easy to determine which reviews are useful and which are written by grade-school kids as a school assignment. Plus, the people who vote something helpful might be doing so for reasons that are of little interest to you (an example might be if somebody's review focuses on why a stereo component is convenient to operate but doesn't discuss sound quality—if your focus is on the sound, that review won't help you).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: IMGoph on March 27, 2024, 11:07:06 AMThere used to be a little "NEW" icon next to each post that was new since the last time I had viewed a thread. I don't see that anymore. Is that something that can be brought back in some way (or is there a setting I need to change on my end to make that happen)?

Thanks!

Soon hopefully, since it's a thing that has to be modified in the theme files to bring back. Just have to figure out how to do that.

WillWeaverRVA

@rickmastfan67 Appreciate the hard work! Glad the forum is way easier to use on mobile, too.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

hotdogPi

It's interesting that the gender marker moved from text to the Mars/Venus symbol, when Wikipedia moved away from that symbol to text a year or two ago. (I would prefer it switched back; not everyone knows what those symbols mean.)

Still no nonbinary option, though...
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.