News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NJ - 295/76/42 Construction Projects

Started by jeffandnicole, January 23, 2013, 09:21:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

jeffandnicole

It appears there may be some movement...finally...in fixing the collapsed portion of the wall.  Excavation equipment is on site, and a source I've talked about the wall was informed they will be working Monday starting to remove a larger portion of the wall. 

Here's the area of beauty: https://goo.gl/maps/UANQbefndPuuY3Eo7

The potential absolute limits of the demo work would be the start of the 'tunnel' on the left to the end of the wall on the right, at which point the 295 viaduct over Route 42 and Browning Road (a county road that cuts thru the entire project area) would begin.  NJDOT, as they normally are, have been fairly silent on what the actual limits are, but some portion of that wall, and the fill behind it, will be removed for them to redo. 

Roadgeek2500

Major news today as the 'Missing Moves' project is complete and scheduled to be open Tomorrow

Mark from 42Freeway has the whole story and some great drone pictures: https://42freeway.com/roads/missing-moves-connector-in-bellmawr-opens-tuesday-nov-28th/
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2013 - DRPA =Derpa

jeffandnicole

Just took a ride around the 295/42 Missing Moves area at 11:45pm 11/27/23...and if I hadn't known they're opening the lanes tonight, it would've looked like any other night with construction work going on.

All signs are still covered.  1 right lane closed on 295 NB, and it appears they were working on the attenuator at the gore point.  On 42 SB, 3 right lanes are closed along with the Creek Rd Exit, and it looked like there was a sole street sweeper in the area.  On 55 NB, just the single lane was still open, and nothing closed in the area where signs need to be uncovered.  On 42 NB, the 2 left lanes were closed, with nothing going on during my drive-by.

On 42 NB, there had been an oddly placed merge ahead sign for the Creek Road onramp...off to the side of the 295 North ramp.  That's been taken down, only to have a mixed message "Right Lane Ends" followed by a "Left Lane Ends" sign on the ramp.

jeffandnicole

Took the ride on the new I-295/NJ 42 Missing Moves Ramps this morning. 

Quick summary:  295 North no issues; typical minor backup approaching the interchange with I-76.  Biggest issue:  The new ramp is now Exit 26, and they are changing former Exit 26 to Exit 27A.  However NJDOT provided no advanced notice about the change.  While new signage reflects the new exit numbers, the former signs for I-76's Exit 26 still show Exit 26.  If someone was relying solely on exit numbering, they're going to be confused or going the wrong direction. 

VMS Signage approaching the interchange state:

RAMP EXIT 26 NEW RAMP TO RT 42 SOUTH
NOW OPEN TO TRAFFIC USE CAUTION

But again, nothing that indicates an exit numbering change coming up.

On 55 North to 42 North, the 55 ramp is now 2 lanes.  During the morning rush, all this will do is push the delay up about a half-mile. The pinch point is going to be the split where 295 North takes off from 42 North, where there's only 4 lanes currently.  In the future when the 295 Direct Connection project is done, this may improve, but for now the morning rush will still be rough.  Hopefully there's improvement during other times during the day.  On the video you'll notice a few signs that are covered at the beginning of the 42 N to 295 S ramp; these were conflicting signs that shows Left Lane Ends...after the first sign and lane markings show Right Lane Ends.  They were still showing the wrong message last night, and were covered up during the night.

Video from 295 North to 42 South: https://youtu.be/4EHxuDKev3k?si=sDjOeyO_AKHYIc5a

Video from 55 North to 42 North to 295 South: https://youtu.be/nyKzIZ3dxgM?si=ORc53_KUgmUI-k_N

odditude

thanks for posting those videos!

those ramps are long enough that it stands out that there's no mile markers posted.

NJRoadfan

Reminds me of the I-95 mainline flyovers in the Springfield Interchange. Also, building a direct Turnpike interchange there would be a mess. It's bad enough that all of South Jersey's freeway traffic is basically bottle necked into that mile long stretch of roadway!

Alps

Quote from: odditude on November 28, 2023, 02:17:57 PM
thanks for posting those videos!

those ramps are long enough that it stands out that there's no mile markers posted.
They might! Project's not over yet. It would have RAMP __ on top and the tenths below.

roadman65

The exit numbers are out of sequence or not in Union as I-295 NB uses I-76' s exit scheme while I-295 NB and Creek Road uses Route 42's numbering.

The TO I-76 on the pull through is like the southern end of Virginia's I-295 with the split for I-95 SB there using I-295 SB to I-95 SB due to that ramp being so long that VDOT inventories it as part of I-295 still.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 28, 2023, 09:51:14 AM
Took the ride on the new I-295/NJ 42 Missing Moves Ramps this morning. 

Quick summary:  295 North no issues; typical minor backup approaching the interchange with I-76.  Biggest issue:  The new ramp is now Exit 26, and they are changing former Exit 26 to Exit 27A.  However NJDOT provided no advanced notice about the change.  While new signage reflects the new exit numbers, the former signs for I-76's Exit 26 still show Exit 26.  If someone was relying solely on exit numbering, they're going to be confused or going the wrong direction. 

VMS Signage approaching the interchange state:

RAMP EXIT 26 NEW RAMP TO RT 42 SOUTH
NOW OPEN TO TRAFFIC USE CAUTION

But again, nothing that indicates an exit numbering change coming up.

On 55 North to 42 North, the 55 ramp is now 2 lanes.  During the morning rush, all this will do is push the delay up about a half-mile. The pinch point is going to be the split where 295 North takes off from 42 North, where there's only 4 lanes currently.  In the future when the 295 Direct Connection project is done, this may improve, but for now the morning rush will still be rough.  Hopefully there's improvement during other times during the day.  On the video you'll notice a few signs that are covered at the beginning of the 42 N to 295 S ramp; these were conflicting signs that shows Left Lane Ends...after the first sign and lane markings show Right Lane Ends.  They were still showing the wrong message last night, and were covered up during the night.

Video from 295 North to 42 South: https://youtu.be/4EHxuDKev3k?si=sDjOeyO_AKHYIc5a

Video from 55 North to 42 North to 295 South: https://youtu.be/nyKzIZ3dxgM?si=ORc53_KUgmUI-k_N

I see that Washington Twp. is now used for Route 42 along with Atlantic Cityas a control city. What's odd is Williamstown should really be used as it's where Rt. 42 ends and Washington is a common Township name within the Garden State so googling it on your phone or pc will pull up many municipalities if your curious to find it on a map. The TO ACE shield is a welcome sight, but part of NJDOT demonstrating the Highwaystar way of thinking that if a road don't go there, it don't get signed.  Route 42 don't reach Atlantic City at all but having to switch to the ACE or US 322.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on November 29, 2023, 04:33:32 AM
I see that Washington Twp. is now used for Route 42 along with Atlantic Cityas a control city. What's odd is Williamstown should really be used as it's where Rt. 42 ends and Washington is a common Township name within the Garden State so googling it on your phone or pc will pull up many municipalities if your curious to find it on a map. The TO ACE shield is a welcome sight, but part of NJDOT demonstrating the Highwaystar way of thinking that if a road don't go there, it don't get signed.  Route 42 don't reach Atlantic City at all but having to switch to the ACE or US 322.

As we've done in other threads, we've debated control cities endlessly.  NJ lends itself to numerous possibilities of control cities and destinations on their signs, simply because there's so many municipalities, and many of them have significant populations.

Here's the thing about Williamstown - even though it has 'town' in their name, it's not a town.  It's an unincorporated area of Monroe Township, and as you probably know, NJ has 2 Monroes, with the Central Jersey Monroe being the more popular.

It's possible 'Washington Twp' became a bit more notable to NJDOT back in the 1980s. When Rt. 55 opened, Exit 56A was signed for Hurffville, a small unincorporated area of Washington Twp.  Officials in the town were not pleased.  In the mid 2000s, NJDOT did a sign replacement, removing the Hurffville sign and replacing it with Washington Twp. (For button copy enthusiasts, the adjoining sign for Exit 56A was never replaced, and maintains now nearly 40 year old button copy)  Around the same time, Rt. 42's signage at the Expressway was updated from just 'Williamstown' to 'Washington Twp' and 'Williamstown'.  Clearly someone in or near the township got NJDOT's attention, which continues to this day as Washington Twp is a control city on the new 42/55 APL.

Rt. 42 goes thru Gloucester Township.  While the town name never seems to get much attention - people often refer to areas of the township by other nearby townships - it's quite large, both in population, number of business districts and square mileage.  In fact, it's the largest town in the area by a significant margin, with over 60k residents. 5 interchanges on Rt. 42 are within the township, with a 6th at its southeastern boarder on the AC Expressway.  Based on this, Gloucester Twp could've been a completely appropriate control city.

Could Deptford have been a control city?  It's a significant population and shopping area as well.  On 295 North, 3 interchanges are at least partially within its borders, but none have exits from 295 North to enter Deptford. Other interchanges on I-295 north prior to this area lead motorists directly into the town, but none are signed for Deptford.  After taking the new ramp, the first exit is for 55 South, and its 1st exit is Deptford.  Or stay on Rt. 42, and the next exit is signed for Deptford.

Could the sign have included an alternative to the ACX Shield, or a 2nd "TO" route?  Route 55 is less than a mile from the ramp and has a significantly heavier traffic volume than the ACX much of the year (over 70k vs over 50k using traffic volumes pre-pandemic).  Should Glassboro or Vineland have been a control city?

Is Atlantic City a proper control city?  By most accounts, yes.  But that has a continuity issue.  As one enters NJ from the Delaware Memorial Bridge, they are directed to the NJ Turnpike for Atlantic City, and then directed to take US 40.  Currently, many elect to take the NJ Tpk to Exit 3, then 168 South to 42 South to the Expressway.  I would believe that with the new ramps, it should be faster (and toll-free) to stay on 295 from the bridge to the new exit to 42 South.  If one uses the Commodore Barry Bridge, the BGSs don't refer to Atlantic City, but the SJTA - the authority that oversees the Expressway - has plastered directional signage all over the surrounding area.  On 322 just off the bridge, a sign currently directs motorists to stay on 322 to get to the ACX.  So sure, if you find yourself on 295 North, the best option for Atlantic City is to take this exit. But every other sign currently leads you away from 295 North.

Ultimately, there's numerous possibilities that could've been used.  I think the sign is "good enough" as other options would've just lead to the same questions anyway.

NJRoadfan

Williamstown made sense (its the southern terminus of NJ-42), thus had to be eliminated. To some, it might be awkward to see "Washington Twp" because most people know it by the place names (Turnersville, etc). The one person I know from the Township always said they lived in Sewell!

jeffandnicole

I grew up in the "real" Sewell of Mantua Twp. And yeah trying to tell people not from the area that the Sewell they want to go to in Washington Township is always a hard explanation. And the road network doesn't easily lead someone who's lost in Sewell, Mantua to get easily to Sewell, Washington Township. GPS nowadays helps at least.

The suggestion of using Williamstown as a control city because 42 ends in that unincorporated area is interesting, because I don't recall that ever being an issue with its omittance on the 42 South exit signs from 295 South. Or pull thru signs on 76. The new APL pull thru sign doesn't list Williamstown. And the ramps onto 42 South from CR 544 & NJ 41 also only show Atlantic City. Other than one pull-thru sign on 42 that lists 3 control cities, starting at Rt. 168 is where Williamstown is signed consistently for Rt. 42 South and that's mostly on older signage.

Also, Rt. 55 North ends in Deptford. AC Expressway west ends in Gloucester Twp. I-76 East ends in Bellmawr. NJ Turnpike south ends in Pennsville. All are local examples where NJDOT and its Authorities don't sign the town that contains the endpoint of the route.

roadman65

I-295 does use Pennsville on mileage signs heading south. That is where it ends in NJ before leaving the state. That's cause NJDOT on mileage signs uses proper places on the latest installations of mileage signs placed as a route either enters or leaves the community instead of post interchange after the speed limit signs as other states.

However Delaware Memorial Bridge always been a control for many years on guides because it's a gateway between the Northeast and MidAtlantic regions of the US though technically not recommended to do so. If it were many other states they would sign Baltimore instead. Many on this forum believe the NJ Turnpike should use that over Wilmington as the NJTA replaced Delaware Memorial Bridge or Delaware with that on most recent sign updates.

Bottom line is older signage was at least consistent in which as some pointed out, NJ 42 used that solely before.  Lately it seems that different signing contractors under supervision of project engineers are signing different places. Look at US 46 now in North Jersey from Clifton to Parsippany. Some use Little Falls, some use Wayne, one uses Fairfield, and lately one uses Parsippany.  All are heard of places, but again no consistency. In the past it was Clifton from the beginning (except the I-95 exit for it), then Dover, then Netcong, then Delaware Water Gap.  Really the old ways made better following with consistency.

Yes, NJ development caused former stand out communities to fade in among growth hence Clinton on I-78 and US 22. US 22 was rural west of Somerville and Clinton did at one time stand out from Branchburg, Readington, and Lebanon that is why NJDOT uses it on guide signs for US 22 west. Of course now those aforementioned have become very populated and developed along US 22, Clinton don't stand out anymore. However at least it's consistent and it's where US 22 meets I-78 so it's still a good choice.

NJ lately has been so localized in thinking, like one pointed out only uses out of state control cities that are near the state border because of that thinking, and now with so many township's available, they're finding it hard to decide on which one to use.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

What I find mildly amusing about a sign with "Delaware Memorial Bridge" stacked on two lines as in the images above, as opposed to with "Del Mem Br," is that someone could theoretically read the signs two ways—either "Delaware Memorial Bridge" as a single location" or "Delaware" and "Memorial Bridge" being two separate places the road goes (which, I suppose, wouldn't be completely incorrect in this case even if it's not what's intended).

It reminds me of some BGSs on the Capital Beltway for the first exit in Maryland that list "Washington" on the first line and "National Harbor" on the second line; I've often joked that it reads like "Washington National Harbor" (similar to Reagan Airport's old name, "Washington National Airport"), and arguably the order ought to be reversed because Exit 2A serves National Harbor and Exit 2B leads to I-295 towards Washington.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 30, 2023, 01:49:46 PM
What I find mildly amusing about a sign with "Delaware Memorial Bridge" stacked on two lines as in the images above, as opposed to with "Del Mem Br," is that someone could theoretically read the signs two ways—either "Delaware Memorial Bridge" as a single location" or "Delaware" and "Memorial Bridge" being two separate places the road goes (which, I suppose, wouldn't be completely incorrect in this case even if it's not what's intended).

It reminds me of some BGSs on the Capital Beltway for the first exit in Maryland that list "Washington" on the first line and "National Harbor" on the second line; I've often joked that it reads like "Washington National Harbor" (similar to Reagan Airport's old name, "Washington National Airport"), and arguably the order ought to be reversed because Exit 2A serves National Harbor and Exit 2B leads to I-295 towards Washington.

Orlando did the same with this:
Arena- Carr
Expo Center

The way those guides appeared on FL 50 in Orlando made it seem like it's referring to The Arena and The Carr Expo Center. However, it's referral to three places as being Expo Center is on a separate line, it don't need a hyphen to separate it from Bob Carr.

FDOT should have signed them on three lines to to distinguish the fact the Expo Center is not named Bob Carr Expo Center.

It was the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center and Orlando Expo Center where FDOT tried to cram it in with the former  Orlando Arena into a small guide.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Finally had a few opportunities to drive over the 42 North to 295 South ramp today without trying to record it.  The first time I was on 42 North, and had to squeeze thru a little traffic coming off 55 North to get to the ramp.  There was a car in front of me going about 45 - 50, holding me back a little.  But at this point, that's actually a little common - we're all kinda checking out the ramp for the first time.

The 2nd time, I was on 55 North.  Stayed in the right lane doing about 75 before slowing down slightly curving onto 42.  Had to tap the brakes for a moment as a few vehicles wanted to squeeze left worried the lane may end soon (they still had over 1/4 mile).  Got to the ramp unimpeded.  Felt comfortable slowing down to 58 mph at the first curve, sped up to about 70, then slowed to about 62 for the second curve before hitting 295 South.

On 295 South, I noticed a few times people aren't realizing the lane is an 'Exit Only' lane, despite the signage and dot stripping, and had to quickly merge over at the next off-ramp.

The biggest improvement, other than the massive time savings for people in the area, is 55 is not jamming up at off-peak hours the way it used to.  It's going to happen at rush hour because volume > capacity, but off-peak times are certainly seeing an improvement. 

Oh, and all the bridge year stones for the new overpasses:  Marked with 2024.

NJRoadfan

NJDOT has been jumping the gun with bridge dates. There are overpasses on US-22 dated 2024 too. I guess they assumed the missing moves project was going to run over schedule.  :-D

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 03, 2023, 11:12:13 AM
NJDOT has been jumping the gun with bridge dates. There are overpasses on US-22 dated 2024 too. I guess they assumed the missing moves project was going to run over schedule.  :-D
By the time Missing Moves is closed out it'll be 2024.

roadman65

Yeah I saw it on GSV. The bridge over NJ 82 on WB US 22 has the 2024 date already on it. That should be completed next Summer as the initial work has being done in phases over the 2023 and 2024 phases doing one side of the bridge each phase. I assume US 22 over Chestnut will complete the final segment this Spring and Summer to have that done by next year as well?

BTW I've seen the new NJ 82 EB guide on US 22 WB. They forgot to copy US 22 EB as they forgot that traffic from the GSP SB uses NJ 82 EB from US 22 WB to facilitate the missing move that SB GSP doesn't have to US 22 EB.  IMO, Exit 141 should now be signed for EB US 22/being the ramp now is signalized with Vauxhall Road, but NJTA just resigned that exit to read  Vauxhall Road from the former name with " Union" on it.

The big question is now EB US 22 now has no u turn to US 22 WB to facilitate the missing Exit 140 NB to WB missing moves, are they going to sign EB US 22 at Vauxhall Road with TO US 22 WB signage as that now would be the next place to turnabout.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2023, 10:27:14 PM

Yeah I saw it on GSV. The bridge over NJ 82 on WB US 22 has the 2024 date already on it. That should be completed next Summer as the initial work has being done in phases over the 2023 and 2024 phases doing one side of the bridge each phase. I assume US 22 over Chestnut will complete the final segment this Spring and Summer to have that done by next year as well?

BTW I've seen the new NJ 82 EB guide on US 22 WB. They forgot to copy US 22 EB as they forgot that traffic from the GSP SB uses NJ 82 EB from US 22 WB to facilitate the missing move that SB GSP doesn't have to US 22 EB.  IMO, Exit 141 should now be signed for EB US 22/being the ramp now is signalized with Vauxhall Road, but NJTA just resigned that exit to read  Vauxhall Road from the former name with " Union" on it.

The big question is now EB US 22 now has no u turn to US 22 WB to facilitate the missing Exit 140 NB to WB missing moves, are they going to sign EB US 22 at Vauxhall Road with TO US 22 WB signage as that now would be the next place to turnabout.

It would be more than adequate for signage pointing motorists heading for 22EB to use the 82EB exit on auxiliary signage.

FLAVORTOWN

Whats up with the duplicate MP markers? They really burned money on something like that  :confused:

jeffandnicole

So after a few weeks of the ramps in use, taking a few snapshot looks at Rt. 55 via Google Maps, congestion has generally evaporated on 55 approaching Rt. 42, including the morning rush hour.  I suspected the time between 9am and 5:30am would see less if any congestion; I wasn't sure if the morning rush hour would show the same results but so far it appears to be working out pretty well.  Even if there's some congestion in the morning rush, eliminating the mid-day, afternoon rush and weekend congestion is a huge win for this project.

NJDOT has yet to fix the mismatching signage on I-295 approaching the full interchange.  The intent is to have the 295 North to 42 South Ramp be Exit 26, and the former Exit 26 be Exit 27A (and then presumably current exit 27 become Exit 27B).  While the project has Exit 27A shown for the I-76 West ramp, that's only until you pass the new Exit 26.  Exit 27A then reverts to Exit 26 for the remaining signage.  And Exit 27 is still Exit 27. 

So the current order of the 3 exits based on signage:  Exit 26, Exit 27A, Exit 26, Exit 27.

Also on 295 North, one may notice that the new signage along the auxiliary lane coming off Rt. 47 (Interchange 25A/B) and going directly to the ramp for 42 South doesn't say 'Exit Only'.  That new lane is actually intended to be the right-most lane for 295 North over 42/76 as part of the Direct Connection project. The exit lane for the 42 South ramp will eventually become a normal decel lane.  You'll notice a little shift in the exit lane, along with the chevron markings on the roadway, that'll ultimately revel how this is supposed to flow.  In the meantime, posting 'Exit Only' would've been proper, but they left it off the signage.

boilerup25

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 09, 2023, 05:12:32 PM
So after a few weeks of the ramps in use, taking a few snapshot looks at Rt. 55 via Google Maps, congestion has generally evaporated on 55 approaching Rt. 42, including the morning rush hour.  I suspected the time between 9am and 5:30am would see less if any congestion; I wasn't sure if the morning rush hour would show the same results but so far it appears to be working out pretty well.  Even if there's some congestion in the morning rush, eliminating the mid-day, afternoon rush and weekend congestion is a huge win for this project.

NJDOT has yet to fix the mismatching signage on I-295 approaching the full interchange.  The intent is to have the 295 North to 42 South Ramp be Exit 26, and the former Exit 26 be Exit 27A (and then presumably current exit 27 become Exit 27B).  While the project has Exit 27A shown for the I-76 West ramp, that's only until you pass the new Exit 26.  Exit 27A then reverts to Exit 26 for the remaining signage.  And Exit 27 is still Exit 27. 

So the current order of the 3 exits based on signage:  Exit 26, Exit 27A, Exit 26, Exit 27.

Also on 295 North, one may notice that the new signage along the auxiliary lane coming off Rt. 47 (Interchange 25A/B) and going directly to the ramp for 42 South doesn't say 'Exit Only'.  That new lane is actually intended to be the right-most lane for 295 North over 42/76 as part of the Direct Connection project. The exit lane for the 42 South ramp will eventually become a normal decel lane.  You'll notice a little shift in the exit lane, along with the chevron markings on the roadway, that'll ultimately revel how this is supposed to flow.  In the meantime, posting 'Exit Only' would've been proper, but they left it off the signage.

You raised a crucial point here about I-295, especially I-295 North. I assume that the new ramp from I-295 North to NJ 42 South will permanently be the new northbound Exit 26, and I-295 North to I-76 West will be Exit 27 at the end of the Direct Connection project. However, at the rate of construction and the Direct Connection project not expected to be complete until 2028, the signs for left Exit 26 to I-76 West should be either dismantled or relabeled as Exit 27A so that as long as the current configuration stays (until the new ramps are open), drivers will not be mixed up by two exits of the same number that lead in completely different directions. Most of the signs that currently say "Exit 26 to I-76 West" and "Exit 27 to I-76 West" are temporary construction signs.

However, I also have my questions about some of NJDOT's signing decisions because the signs that were put up for Exit 27A to I-76 West together with Exit 26 for NJ 42 SB look to be more permanent structures. The Exit 26 configuration from I-295 NB will very likely remain when the Direct Connection project is done, but Exit 27 will definitely be repositioned.

Another question I have: Do you think with this new development, NJDOT will change the exit numbers on I-295 SB so that current Exit 26 from I-295 SB to I-76 WB becomes Exit 27, and that the currently unnumbered ramp from I-295 SB to NJ 42 SB will become Exit 26? Or will I-295 SB have either a 26B-A or a 27B-A pair of exits to connect to I-76 west (26B or 27B) and NJ 42 SB (26A or 27A)? This is because I am surprised how that exit has been unnumbered for decades and I am curious about how this project will affect exit numbers for I-295 SB.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: boilerup25 on December 21, 2023, 10:04:42 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 09, 2023, 05:12:32 PM

You raised a crucial point here about I-295, especially I-295 North. I assume that the new ramp from I-295 North to NJ 42 South will permanently be the new northbound Exit 26, and I-295 North to I-76 West will be Exit 27 at the end of the Direct Connection project. However, at the rate of construction and the Direct Connection project not expected to be complete until 2028, the signs for left Exit 26 to I-76 West should be either dismantled or relabeled as Exit 27A so that as long as the current configuration stays (until the new ramps are open), drivers will not be mixed up by two exits of the same number that lead in completely different directions. Most of the signs that currently say "Exit 26 to I-76 West" and "Exit 27 to I-76 West" are temporary construction signs.

However, I also have my questions about some of NJDOT's signing decisions because the signs that were put up for Exit 27A to I-76 West together with Exit 26 for NJ 42 SB look to be more permanent structures. The Exit 26 configuration from I-295 NB will very likely remain when the Direct Connection project is done, but Exit 27 will definitely be repositioned.

Another question I have: Do you think with this new development, NJDOT will change the exit numbers on I-295 SB so that current Exit 26 from I-295 SB to I-76 WB becomes Exit 27, and that the currently unnumbered ramp from I-295 SB to NJ 42 SB will become Exit 26? Or will I-295 SB have either a 26B-A or a 27B-A pair of exits to connect to I-76 west (26B or 27B) and NJ 42 SB (26A or 27A)? This is because I am surprised how that exit has been unnumbered for decades and I am curious about how this project will affect exit numbers for I-295 SB.

Yes, I think the exit for I-76 WB in both directions will ultimately be Exit 27, and the exit for Route 42 southbound will be Exit 26 in both directions. It's a little baffling they didn't coordinate all these changes at one time. As it is, they haven't even provided any notification of the exit number changes going north on 295, as as a "Formally Exit 26" tab for the new Exut 27A.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.