News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by webny99 - Today at 10:19:32 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on Today at 10:10:36 AMIt still blows my mind that Lovie Smith, knowing he was getting fired anyway, decided to go for it on a 4th & 20, miraculously scored a touchdown, and then went for 2 and converted for the win to give the Bears the 1st-overall last year.

Hey, the Texans sure aren't complaining about how that worked out for them either.  :D

Quote from: jmacswimmer on Today at 10:10:36 AM(you can even possibly count Keenan Allen - the 4th-rounder traded to LAC was the one received from PHI in the Carter-Wright 9-10 swap last year)

Wasn't that a separate trade though? I'm not seeing how that pick was part of the trade haul from Carolina.
Canada / Re: Ontario's Highways
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: Chris on April 25, 2024, 02:53:08 PMA map showing the 110 km/h sections.

Interesting that they're giving 110 to the 406.  That's honestly a shock to me.  Assuming that's between Exits 11 & East Main St roundabout?
Quote from: bandit957 on April 25, 2024, 11:42:55 AMOne other major bug: Notifications don't work

In what way?  I'm getting alerts if I'm quoted, or have a post liked.  Are you sure you have the option turned on for your account?
Last post by jmacswimmer - Today at 10:10:36 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 09:08:46 AMIf I were a Falcons fan, I'd be pissed. Thankfully I think my Vikes had a good night.

Likewise as a Bears fan, the Falcons taking Penix allowed Rome Odunze to make it to the Bears at 9 so no complaints here. I thought Williams+Odunze would be too good to be true after the reports of them working out with DJ Moore & Keenan Allen and then flying into Detroit together, but here we are!

Bears social media was also quick to (both sarcastically & seriously) point out Ryan Pace's presence in the Falcons front office perhaps contributing to the situation - remember the Glennon/Trubisky situation in 2017?

It still blows my mind that Lovie Smith, knowing he was getting fired anyway, decided to go for it on a 4th & 20, miraculously scored a touchdown, and then went for 2 and converted for the win to give the Bears the 1st-overall last year. Then from there, the fateful Bryce Young trade has thus far turned into DJ Moore, Darnell Wright, Tyrique Stevenson, and of course now Caleb Williams (you can even possibly count Keenan Allen - the 4th-rounder traded to LAC was the one received from PHI in the Carter-Wright 9-10 swap last year), with an additional 2nd-rounder still to come next year. What a trade :sombrero:
Last post by webny99 - Today at 10:08:07 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 09:08:46 AMIf I were a Falcons fan, I'd be pissed. Thankfully I think my Vikes had a good night.

I don't see the Falcons picking a QB as such a negative. Not having a backup plan to Cousins basically forced the Vikings into a spot where they had to draft a QB this season. Drafting a QB you're intrigued by when it's not a top roster need is much bolder strategy, but it sure worked out for the Packers (and Chiefs!). I think there's a decent chance it works out great for the Falcons, and an even greater chance it's viewed more positively in three years than it is now. Having Cousins basically boxes them out of a top draft pick for as long as he's on the roster unless he gets injured, in which case they'd be plenty happy to get a look at the rookie. And even if they were bad this year, next year's QB class is not projected to be very good.

Definitely worked out well for the Vikings though that they were able to get Dallas Turner at pick #17 when he had been widely (and ironically) mocked to the Falcons at #8.
Off-Topic / Re: My idea for US currency re...
Last post by akotchi - Today at 10:02:55 AM
The silver dollars (Morgan and Peace) circulated.  Currency existed, though not sure if it was that prevalent at the time.

Currency took over during the 36-year gap between dollar coin issuance, which also saw the elimination of precious metal (silver) from the coin.  I have to believe that this gap doomed the relevance of a dollar coin (especially one that large) while a dollar bill circulated.

Even with the smaller coin, dollar bills still rule -- who wants a pile of dollar coins in their pocket?  I see dollar coins mainly at train/subway stations.  As long as dollar bills are still made, no dollar coin of any type will circulate widely.  Any that are made now, Native American or American Innovation, are for collectors (not for circulation).  And . . . the U.S. Mint still makes money making money.

Canada and Europe seem to do well without 1 and 2 dollar/euro bills.
Last post by NWI_Irish96 - Today at 09:46:09 AM

I think Penix is the 2nd best QB in the draft. I'd be more pissed that they gave Cousins so much money.
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 09:32:30 AM
Quote from: thspfc on April 25, 2024, 05:33:04 PMIf you listened to the internet you would think it's remarkable that the franchise hasn't spontaneously combusted yet after having no first round picks for 8 years.

Recognizing that the NFL has changed quite substantially over the ensuing years, it's interesting to look back and note that the Redskins had no first-round picks from 1969 to 1979, inclusive, in 1982, and in 1984 to 1990, inclusive. The three they did have during that period turned out all right (Art Monk, Mark May, and Darrell Green), but it's interesting to note how those periods coincided with their two most successful runs in recent history (the George Allen years in the 1970s and the first Joe Gibbs era in the 1980s). You could argue that maybe the lack of first-round picks in the late 1980s contributed to the team's collapse in 1993, although there would also be a reasonable counterargument that winning Super Bowls XXII and XXVI in the years leading up to 1993 were a fair trade-off and that most people wouldn't give up the Super Bowl wins if they could go back and do it over.

I think the league, and the style of play, has changed significantly since then such that it's harder to find gold at positions like quarterback in the later rounds the way it used to be. Mark Rypien, for example, was a sixth-rounder—although I suppose it's important to recognize that Tom Brady was as well, so it's not necessarily impossible to do well in the later rounds.
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 09:08:46 AM
If I were a Falcons fan, I'd be pissed. Thankfully I think my Vikes had a good night.
Sports / Re: General NBA thread
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 09:07:27 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 23, 2024, 12:54:37 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 17, 2024, 12:41:07 PMAnd the Lakers "won" the right to get swept by the Nuggets for the second consecutive year.

Mmmhmmm.

Mmmmmmmhmmmmmm.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.