AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Grand Parkway H, I-1 and I-2  (Read 10630 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 06:13:21 PM
Re: Grand Parkway H, I-1 and I-2
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »

Any idea what the speed limit will be on the new section, in the interim with 2 lanes?

Despite Houstonís general 65 mph limit on most roads, the newest portion of the Grand Parkway near I-69 North is posted at 75 mph. I imagine the new 4 lane portion will either be a default 70 mph (then raised later, similar to the recent US-183 situation in Austin) or immediately 75 mph, then the two lane portion 65 mph or 70 mph (though ideally 75 mph the whole way).

My best guess would be 75 mph, since these will be in Montgomery, Liberty, and Chambers Counties. Harris County seems the most enthusiastic about maintaining the 65-70 limits.

The speed limit is signed at 70 mph until you get to south of FM 565/FM 2354 interchange where it drops back down to 65 mph.

Boo
Boo to the 70 mph part or 65 mph?

The entire new road is 70 mph. It drops to 65 mph south of I-10 tying into the existing parkway which was that slower speed.

Thegeet

• Last Login: Today at 04:28:17 PM
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2022, 09:24:56 PM »

I believe since these counties are assigned to the Houston District by TxDOT, they are 65/70 mph.

It isn't the TxDOT districts. It is the particular county and the individual county's (environmental) attainment zone rules. Harris county is still not waivered. All of the roads inside Harris County are 65 mph or less.  Montgomery and Chambers counties have waivers and have speeds up to 75 MPH (Like in North Texas). UP to, they can be set for less.

BTW. The intersection of FM 565 is in Chambers county which is in the Beaumont TxDOT District. The I-69 / Grand Parkway intersection is in Montgomery County which does belong to the Houston TxDOT district but is outside Harris County. .
Donít Montgomery and Chambers county belong to Beaumont district?

bwana39

• Last Login: Today at 10:28:31 PM
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2022, 10:13:05 PM »

I believe since these counties are assigned to the Houston District by TxDOT, they are 65/70 mph.

It isn't the TxDOT districts. It is the particular county and the individual county's (environmental) attainment zone rules. Harris county is still not waivered. All of the roads inside Harris County are 65 mph or less.  Montgomery and Chambers counties have waivers and have speeds up to 75 MPH (Like in North Texas). UP to, they can be set for less.

BTW. The intersection of FM 565 is in Chambers county which is in the Beaumont TxDOT District. The I-69 / Grand Parkway intersection is in Montgomery County which does belong to the Houston TxDOT district but is outside Harris County. .
Donít Montgomery and Chambers county belong to Beaumont district?

Just Chambers.  Montgomery is in the Houston District.

https://www.txdot.gov/content/dam/txdot/asset_collection/local_information/houston.png

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

armadillo speedbump

• Last Login: June 22, 2022, 02:32:07 AM
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2022, 03:42:06 AM »

TXtoNJ

• Last Login: June 30, 2022, 02:15:41 PM
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2022, 03:49:33 PM »

Any idea what the speed limit will be on the new section, in the interim with 2 lanes?

Despite Houstonís general 65 mph limit on most roads, the newest portion of the Grand Parkway near I-69 North is posted at 75 mph. I imagine the new 4 lane portion will either be a default 70 mph (then raised later, similar to the recent US-183 situation in Austin) or immediately 75 mph, then the two lane portion 65 mph or 70 mph (though ideally 75 mph the whole way).

My best guess would be 75 mph, since these will be in Montgomery, Liberty, and Chambers Counties. Harris County seems the most enthusiastic about maintaining the 65-70 limits.

The speed limit is signed at 70 mph until you get to south of FM 565/FM 2354 interchange where it drops back down to 65 mph.

Boo
Boo to the 70 mph part or 65 mph?

The entire new road is 70 mph. It drops to 65 mph south of I-10 tying into the existing parkway which was that slower speed.

It's sparse enough out there to warrant 75

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 06:13:21 PM
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2022, 11:07:59 PM »

^ Agreed, however at least 70 mph is better than 65 mph.

Perhaps it will be increased to 75 mph in the next couple of years - remember 70 mph is the default limit that applies once a new facility is constructed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.