News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Prosper, TX: BUS SH 289-D Decommissioned, Old Road Wiped Out by Development

Started by Brian556, June 04, 2022, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

While it is common for business routes to be decommissioned, what makes this situation unusual is that a portion of the old road was wiped out and a new development was constructed over the former road. In addition, the signs were left standing on the remaining south end of the closed section of road, including the route marker assembly facing southbound traffic on the exit ramp from SH 289 to US 380.

Google Map of area: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.226474,-96.8014045,2850m/data=!3m1!1e3

DSC_0073  , on Flickr
Looking north on the closed section of former BUS SH 289-D

DSC_0074  , on Flickr
Looking south on the exit ramp from SB SH 289 to US 380

DSC_0069  , on Flickr
Looking south on Coleman St (Former BUS SH 289-D) at Broadway St (FM 1193)

Road Hog

Business 289-D used to run through Prosper as Coleman Street, then cut sharply east at what is now Frontier Parkway on the Prosper-Celina city line to return to 289 proper.

The entire north end of Business 289-D north of FM 1193 was decommissioned around 2008 when the new Prosper High School was built and the roads reconfigured around the campus. That left the odd configuration of FM 1193 (Broadway) and Business 289-D terminating in downtown Prosper at a right angle.

I don't know if what's left of Business 289-D is still on TxDOT's books. It looks like it no longer is judging by the photos, because usually the first thing TxDOT does is take down all trailblazer signs. They just overlooked the south end.

bwana39

Quote from: Road Hog on June 04, 2022, 01:41:29 PM
Business 289-D used to run through Prosper as Coleman Street, then cut sharply east at what is now Frontier Parkway on the Prosper-Celina city line to return to 289 proper.

The entire north end of Business 289-D north of FM 1193 was decommissioned around 2008 when the new Prosper High School was built and the roads reconfigured around the campus. That left the odd configuration of FM 1193 (Broadway) and Business 289-D terminating in downtown Prosper at a right angle.

I don't know if what's left of Business 289-D is still on TxDOT's books. It looks like it no longer is judging by the photos, because usually the first thing TxDOT does is take down all trailblazer signs. They just overlooked the south end.

Here iis the minute order documents
https://publicdocs.txdot.gov/minord/MinuteOrderDocLib/115310.pdf
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.