News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikieTimT

Quote from: msunat97 on August 24, 2021, 08:06:40 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 24, 2021, 07:43:25 AM
The I Drive Arkansas camera by the US 71 I-49 interchange has a nice view of the open southbound lanes.  Though the vast majority of southbound traffic is from US 71 south.

https://idrivearkansas.com/

Agreed!  the NB camera view is great to see the flow & updates on the construction.  i'm interested to see the "touchup" work on the hill face across from the camera.

A timelapse of that feed over the next few weeks would be cool to watch the hillside disappear chunks at a time.

And it just goes to show how overdue this final segment of I-49 has been these past few decades.  Bella Vista is fixing to be pleasant to drive for the residents.

Tomahawkin

Now, I'm guessing it will take 15 years for the Ft Smith to Texarkana stretch to be completed? When completed. IMO, IH 49 in Arkansas will be one of the most scenic interstates in the midsouth, it should considered a high priority economic corridor to the feds with the amount of interstate commerce that go from Canada to Mexico via IH 49

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 24, 2021, 01:09:31 PM
Now, I'm guessing it will take 15 years for the Ft Smith to Texarkana stretch to be completed? When completed. IMO, IH 49 in Arkansas will be one of the most scenic interstates in the midsouth, it should considered a high priority economic corridor to the feds with the amount of interstate commerce that go from Canada to Mexico via IH 49
15 years? You have a lot of faith in ARdot

sparker

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 24, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

Considering the scope, terrain, and the perennial funding issues of what remains, 25-30 years is more realistic.  Could be dropped to around 20 with a healthy dose of federal (i.e. earmark) funding. 

msunat97

I'm 47 & I never expect to see 49 completed in my lifetime.  25-30 years it optimistic with the way things move in DC.

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 24, 2021, 01:44:11 PM

It took from the mid-60's to go over the mountain.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

wdcrft63

Quote from: msunat97 on August 24, 2021, 03:46:11 PM
I'm 47 & I never expect to see 49 completed in my lifetime.  25-30 years it optimistic with the way things move in DC.
Does ARDoT have a plan for completing I-49? Do they have the route broken down into phases with a list of priorities indicating in what order segments will be built? That's essential to being able to attract funding, federal or state.

Road Hog

Bypassing the bigger towns first like Mena and DeQueen (even with a super-2 to start) would make a huge difference in travel time. From Greenwood to Texarkana via US 71 is 166 miles. Should be two hours and change. Instead it's 3:15 with usual traffic, according to the Goog. And you KNOW there will be a logging truck.

Tomahawkin

yeah, I was optomistic about 49, then I forgot that ARDOT Is in charge. With that in mind, IH 30 and 40 projects will take priority

MikieTimT

Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 24, 2021, 07:12:15 PM
yeah, I was optomistic about 49, then I forgot that ARDOT Is in charge. With that in mind, IH 30 and 40 projects will take priority

They will certainly get the lion's share of funds, and rightfully so with AADT counts.  However, the perpetuation of the 1/2 cent sales tax after its original sunset was predicated on progress on the 4 Corners with 4 lanes idea that they've bandied about for a few decades now.  And a Super-2 from Ft. Smith to Y City was one of the routes on the marketing push from ARDOT to get the sales tax extended.  None of that binds them to a timeline, however, but politicians including our "Republican" governor hitched their wagon to this infrastructure push, so they've got to show something for our continued sales tax support, and not just in Central AR/NWA.

mvak36

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 25, 2021, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on August 24, 2021, 07:12:15 PM

They will certainly get the lion's share of funds, and rightfully so with AADT counts.  However, the perpetuation of the 1/2 cent sales tax after its original sunset was predicated on progress on the 4 Corners with 4 lanes idea that they've bandied about for a few decades now.  And a Super-2 from Ft. Smith to Y City was one of the routes on the marketing push from ARDOT to get the sales tax extended.  None of that binds them to a timeline, however, but politicians including our "Republican" governor hitched their wagon to this infrastructure push, so they've got to show something for our continued sales tax support, and not just in Central AR/NWA.

I'm still waiting to see when they'll publish a new project list for that CAP2 program. I emailed them a few months back but never heard anything.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

msunat97

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 24, 2021, 12:42:12 PM
Quote from: msunat97 on August 24, 2021, 08:06:40 AM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on August 24, 2021, 07:43:25 AM
The I Drive Arkansas camera by the US 71 I-49 interchange has a nice view of the open southbound lanes.  Though the vast majority of southbound traffic is from US 71 south.

https://idrivearkansas.com/

Agreed!  the NB camera view is great to see the flow & updates on the construction.  i'm interested to see the "touchup" work on the hill face across from the camera.

A timelapse of that feed over the next few weeks would be cool to watch the hillside disappear chunks at a time.

And it just goes to show how overdue this final segment of I-49 has been these past few decades.  Bella Vista is fixing to be pleasant to drive for the residents.

The real-time is cool also...the contractor just dropped a load of rock and debris on the roadway.  Too bad the cameras don't have sound.

chays

Will the new roadway be signed I-49 immediately?

US71

Quote from: chays on August 31, 2021, 12:29:45 AM

Yes.

Technically, it already is, but the signs are covered. There are maybe 3 or 4 549 signa left at US 71 in Bella Vista.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2021, 01:49:28 AM

Yes.

Technically, it already is, but the signs are covered. There are maybe 3 or 4 549 signa left at US 71 in Bella Vista.

Most of the signs aren't even covered anymore.  It's I-49 (with left lane closed in both directions for striping/shoulder/median/cable barrier work) already pretty much except at the south end.  Still no news from ARDOT on the exit renumbering south of Bella Vista yet.  I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they were pretty vague on the plan in the response.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 31, 2021, 12:24:52 PM

Yes.

Most of the signs aren't even covered anymore.  It's I-49 (with left lane closed in both directions for striping/shoulder/median/cable barrier work) already pretty much except at the south end.  Still no news from ARDOT on the exit renumbering south of Bella Vista yet.  I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they were pretty vague on the plan in the response.

That's news to me. As of a week ago (8/24) most of the signs were still covered.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2021, 12:32:15 PM

Yes.

That's news to me. As of a week ago (8/24) most of the signs were still covered.
I'm going to head up there in an hour or so and I'll take more pics. I've seen 3 549 signs recently, two at 71B and one on Highlands, a to 549 sign. They are sandbagged tho, not in the ground. Idk about the AR72 exits

iPhone

MikieTimT

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 01:36:09 PM

Yes.

I'm going to head up there in an hour or so and I'll take more pics. I've seen 3 549 signs recently, two at 71B and one on Highlands, a to 549 sign. They are sandbagged tho, not in the ground. Idk about the AR72 exits

iPhone

The signs at the junctions to the entrance ramps are likely still covered.  I'm thinking about the confidence signage on the road itself.  I don't remember seeing anything northbound that says AR-549 once you get up the hill from the south entrance.  I'll be up there in about 3 hours after I wrap up some work stuff and refresh my memory up to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd. and back.

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 31, 2021, 01:46:40 PM

The signs at the junctions to the entrance ramps are likely still covered.  I'm thinking about the confidence signage on the road itself.  I don't remember seeing anything northbound that says AR-549 once you get up the hill from the south entrance.  I'll be up there in about 3 hours after I wrap up some work stuff and refresh my memory up to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd. and back.

All gone! Replaced with I-49 signage (still covered as of a week ago). Most of the BGS's are in place using mileage computed from Louisiana.

Arkansastravelguy

The second sign has the old exit numbers

Arkansastravelguy

Yes.

Some are some are not

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 03:19:53 PM

Some are some are not

Still "most" :)  :pan:

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 03:09:53 PM

The second sign has the old exit numbers

THIS sign is new within the last week. Likely for US 71 North.

Arkansastravelguy

Projected ribbon cutting is September 30th at 10am at the state line

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 04:46:14 PM
Projected ribbon cutting is September 30th at 10am at the state line

But conflicting info on if the road will be open or wait a couple weeks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.