News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansastravelguy

This is the missouri side, from MO 90 and the 71 split at Pineville. They are coming along nicely but 30 day? Ehhh I don't know. Arkansas? Yes. Which is weird. But victory for ARdot

US71

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 10:15:11 PM

This is the missouri side, from MO 90 and the 71 split at Pineville. They are coming along nicely but 30 day? Ehhh I don't know. Arkansas? Yes. Which is weird. But victory for ARdot

State Line Crossing won't open until MoDOT is finished
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MikieTimT

Quote from: MikieTimT on August 31, 2021, 01:46:40 PM
Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on August 31, 2021, 01:36:09 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2021, 12:32:15 PM
Quote from: MikieTimT on August 31, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Quote from: US71 on August 31, 2021, 01:49:28 AM
Quote from: chays on August 31, 2021, 12:29:45 AM
Will the new roadway be signed I-49 immediately?

Yes.

Technically, it already is, but the signs are covered. There are maybe 3 or 4 549 signa left at US 71 in Bella Vista.

Most of the signs aren't even covered anymore.  It's I-49 (with left lane closed in both directions for striping/shoulder/median/cable barrier work) already pretty much except at the south end.  Still no news from ARDOT on the exit renumbering south of Bella Vista yet.  I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they were pretty vague on the plan in the response.

That's news to me. As of a week ago (8/24) most of the signs were still covered.
I'm going to head up there in an hour or so and I'll take more pics. I've seen 3 549 signs recently, two at 71B and one on Highlands, a to 549 sign. They are sandbagged tho, not in the ground. Idk about the AR72 exits

iPhone

The signs at the junctions to the entrance ramps are likely still covered.  I'm thinking about the confidence signage on the road itself.  I don't remember seeing anything northbound that says AR-549 once you get up the hill from the south entrance.  I'll be up there in about 3 hours after I wrap up some work stuff and refresh my memory up to Rocky Dell Hollow Rd. and back.

As remembered, northbound has complete and uncovered signage once up the initial hill.  They are still working on inner shoulders, median grading, and cable barriers.  Southbound, some are uncovered, some aren't.  The restriping of the southbound carriageway is close to done, if not.  Arkansas will likely be done before Sept. 30 at this rate, but can't open up past Exit 289 until Missouri gets done.

Henry

Sounds ambitious to get it all done in less than 30 days, but apparently AR is hellbent on having the whole thing open while MO has been sandbagging the project all along.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

Quote from: Henry on September 02, 2021, 10:25:45 AM
Sounds ambitious to get it all done in less than 30 days, but apparently AR is hellbent on having the whole thing open while MO has been sandbagging the project all along.

Missouri started later than Arkansas, but was supposed to finish around the same time (same contractor, IIRC)

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on September 02, 2021, 10:30:18 AM

Missouri started later than Arkansas, but was supposed to finish around the same time (same contractor, IIRC)

Missouri started later because the money they had allocated to the project disappeared when Arkansas didn't have ours ready as they apparently have other needs in their state, go figure.  Then, Missouri for the last several years has had funding issues all around for road building and maintenance.  It took the Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission to put in the application for the BUILD grant that Missouri got to complete Missouri's funding needs as they didn't have enough for their part until that point.

Missouri's BVB Funding

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 10:37:37 AM

Missouri started later because the money they had allocated to the project disappeared when Arkansas didn't have ours ready as they apparently have other needs in their state, go figure.  Then, Missouri for the last several years has had funding issues all around for road building and maintenance.  It took the Northwest Arkansas Regional Planning Commission to put in the application for the BUILD grant that Missouri got to complete Missouri's funding needs as they didn't have enough for their part until that point.

IIRC, much of the I-49 funding in Missouri was spent on upgrading US 71 to Interstate standards

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on September 02, 2021, 10:45:17 AM

IIRC, much of the I-49 funding in Missouri was spent on upgrading US 71 to Interstate standards

It didn't take much.  They really only needed to build a handful of overpasses and exit/entrance ramps as the road itself was mostly through farmland, other than a handful of cities which already had limited access connections.  I don't even think they had to do much in the way of access roads.

Arkansastravelguy

I may be wrong but didn't Arkansas give Missouri like 25M to help complete it?

MikieTimT

Quote from: Arkansastravelguy on September 02, 2021, 10:48:42 AM

You're thinking of the BUILD grant.  The NWARPC put in the application on behalf of Missouri, as Missouri really hasn't put much priority on McDonald County until these past 2 years when it became apparent they would get federal money to help complete the BVB.

abqtraveler

That's correct. Prior to its conversion to I-49 in late 2012, the section of US-71 between Pineville and Kansas City was a 4-lane divided highway, with some controlled-access sections and other sections that had at-grade intersections and some driveway accesses. Missouri focused on upgrading that portion of US-71 (roughly 180 miles) by eliminating the at-grade intersections by building interchanges and overpasses in some locations and closing off cross-roads into cul-de-sacs in other places. They also built frontage roads in a few places to eliminate any remaining driveway accesses to complete the conversion to an interstate-grade freeway.

MoDOT wanted to continue I-49 past I-435 to end at I-70, but a court settlement from 1985 prevents MoDOT from upgrading three signalized intersections on US-71 at Gregory Blvd, 59th St, and 55th St, on the south side of KC to full interchanges. Until another judge reverses that court order, US-71 between I-435 and I-70 cannot be upgraded to I-49.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

MikieTimT

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 10:52:46 AM

You're thinking of the BUILD grant.  The NWARPC put in the application on behalf of Missouri, as Missouri really hasn't put much priority on McDonald County until these past 2 years when it became apparent they would get federal money to help complete the BVB.
When the application was put in by the NWARPC, McDonald County was considered part of the NWA MSA.  It was removed for some reason a few years ago, but I GUARANTEE that it will be put back into the MSA within the next 10-15 years as there's no way the growth here doesn't spill northward due to land prices in Benton/Washington/~Madison Counties.  If I had a spare penny to my name right now, I'd be real estate speculating along the MO-90 exit vicinity.

MikieTimT

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 02, 2021, 10:57:16 AM

That's correct. Prior to its conversion to I-49 in late 2012, the section of US-71 between Pineville and Kansas City was a 4-lane divided highway, with some controlled-access sections and other sections that had at-grade intersections and some driveway accesses. Missouri focused on upgrading that portion of US-71 (roughly 180 miles) by eliminating the at-grade intersections by building interchanges and overpasses in some locations and closing off cross-roads into cul-de-sacs in other places. They also built frontage roads in a few places to eliminate any remaining driveway accesses to complete the conversion to an interstate-grade freeway.

MoDOT wanted to continue I-49 past I-435 to end at I-70, but a court settlement from 1985 prevents MoDOT from upgrading three signalized intersections on US-71 at Gregory Blvd, 59th St, and 55th St, on the south side of KC to full interchanges. Until another judge reverses that court order, US-71 between I-435 and I-70 cannot be upgraded to I-49.

That's about as likely to happen in the next 30 years as me hitting the lottery.  And I don't play the lottery.

kphoger

Straightened out all the quote strings so far.  I believe there are three conversations.  Let me know if I got anything wrong.

Preview, people.  Preview.

US71:  It all started when you removed a hyperlink, typed over it, and then posted without previewing.

MikeTimT:  Thank you for doing your part to fix it partway through.

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 10:48:28 AM

Missouri's BVB Funding

It didn't take much.  They really only needed to build a handful of overpasses and exit/entrance ramps as the road itself was mostly through farmland, other than a handful of cities which already had limited access connections.  I don't even think they had to do much in the way of access roads.

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 11:01:59 AM

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 10:52:46 AM

Missouri's BVB Funding

When the application was put in by the NWARPC, McDonald County was considered part of the NWA MSA.  It was removed for some reason a few years ago, but I GUARANTEE that it will be put back into the MSA within the next 10-15 years as there's no way the growth here doesn't spill northward due to land prices in Benton/Washington/~Madison Counties.  If I had a spare penny to my name right now, I'd be real estate speculating along the MO-90 exit vicinity.

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 11:04:21 AM

Quote from: abqtraveler on September 02, 2021, 10:57:16 AM

Missouri's BVB Funding

That's about as likely to happen in the next 30 years as me hitting the lottery.  And I don't play the lottery.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

Went back and fixed my prior post as well since y'all don't have access to it. And, you're welcome!

US71

"Official" word on I-49 Connector: likely first or second week of October, but nothing definite yet.

MikieTimT

Quote from: US71 on September 02, 2021, 12:04:21 PM
"Official" word on I-49 Connector: likely first or second week of October, but nothing definite yet.

It would be nice if they'd update I-49 Connector so that "official" could become official.

MikieTimT

Checking the iDriveArkansas live camera at the south end of the US-71 interchange, looks like the mountain is in the process of taking its big dump on the offramp.  As far back as they're working on the top of the hill, it amazes me that this issue wasn't foreseen earlier in the construction, like when they blasted the hill the first time!

US71

Quote from: MikieTimT on September 02, 2021, 12:48:16 PM
Checking the iDriveArkansas live camera at the south end of the US-71 interchange, looks like the mountain is in the process of taking its big dump on the offramp.  As far back as they're working on the top of the hill, it amazes me that this issue wasn't foreseen earlier in the construction, like when they blasted the hill the first time!

Welcome to Arkansas. No time to do it right, but plenty of time to correct it ;)

msunat97

The hill to the south of the new interchange looks really different.  Take a look at the traffic cam on iDriveArkansas. 

Tomahawkin

OT, is there any overhead light on any stretch of 49 in NWA? IMO, it should have overhead lighting from the Boston mountains up to the Missouri line. With the amout of deer and fog in the winter months from Alma to Springdale. This should have been implemented 20+ years ago

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 16, 2021, 10:53:28 PM
OT, is there any overhead light on any stretch of 49 in NWA? IMO, it should have overhead lighting from the Boston mountains up to the Missouri line. With the amout of deer and fog in the winter months from Alma to Springdale. This should have been implemented 20+ years ago
Pretty sure there isn't

iPhone

O Tamandua

Open to traffic October 1 (ostensibly 2021).:

QuoteBella Vista Bypass to open Oct. 1 as part of Interstate 49

The Arkansas Department of Transportation (ArDOT) announced Friday (Sept. 17) the Bella Vista Bypass, or Missouri-Arkansas Connector, will open to traffic on Oct. 1. The completed highway will become a part of Interstate 49.

At 10 a.m. on Sept. 30, a ribbon-cutting celebration will take place to mark the completion of the 18.9-mile project. According to a news release, the new I-49 segment consisted of six projects totaling more than $220 million beginning in February 2011. Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson and Missouri Gov. Mike Parson will join state officials and legislators at the Arkansas-Missouri state line for the celebration.

https://talkbusiness.net/2021/09/bella-vista-bypass-to-open-oct-1-as-part-of-interstate-49/

Plutonic Panda

Wow this progressed pretty fast as far modern projects go. Props to them for this.

ilpt4u

View from afar: I-49 vs I-57 seems like a tale of two new interstates

I-49: MO holds up the new construction BVB for a long while, focusing more on upgrading the existing US 71 Expressway, but heh, better later than never!

I-57: MO already has funding authorized and construction scheduled for the 2-lane US 67 upgrade south of Poplar Bluff to the AR state line, leaving the existing US 60 Expressway upgrades as the "final"  box to check for 57

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.