News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JON30

So what is the cost comparison of the portion of I-49 from Texarkana to Fort Smith vs the "Bridge" from Barling to Alma?

robbones

Just an update on the construction between Mountainburg and Fayetteville (MM 28-61): All of the guardrails have been replaced and they're replacing bad spots in the road.

US71

Quote from: robbones on March 14, 2016, 09:01:31 AM
Just an update on the construction between Mountainburg and Fayetteville (MM 28-61): All of the guardrails have been replaced and they're replacing bad spots in the road.

I was up there about a month ago and it looked like they were putting in cable barriers south of the tunnel.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

robbones

Quote from: US71 on March 14, 2016, 10:40:49 AM

I was up there about a month ago and it looked like they were putting in cable barriers south of the tunnel.
Did you notice the new sign north of Chester? Apparently
US 71 is now AR 71

US71

Quote from: robbones on March 14, 2016, 11:07:26 AM
Quote from: US71 on March 14, 2016, 10:40:49 AM

Did you notice the new sign north of Chester? Apparently
US 71 is now AR 71

I'll have to go look. I need to check the road below Artists Point anyway to see if it has fully washed out yet.

KamKam

Yes it was AR 71 instead U.S 71 it was hilarious lol

US71

Quote from: KamKam on March 14, 2016, 11:46:11 PM

MoDOT had MO 71 near Jane about 15 years ago. I've also seen AR 371 (long since corrected). Oh, and exit signs for US 471 ;)

US71

And only one direction (SB). Major PIA to pull over to get a shot

robbones

Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2016, 08:09:45 PM

Right lane is open if you want a photo op.

US71

Quote from: robbones on March 16, 2016, 01:08:48 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 15, 2016, 08:09:45 PM

Right lane is open if you want a photo op.
was closed off yesterday. had to pull over and wait for a chance to cross the barrels

SGH-I337

Gordon

AHTD STIP for 2016-2020  has I49 job - I40 to HWY 22 ( Arkansas River) Preliminary Engineering to let bid in 2017. I didn't see any other new construction work for I 49 other than the already planned Widening  to 6 lanes from Fayetteville to Bentonville

I-39

At this rate, I-49 will never get done.............  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously, how in the heck are they going to fund and construct that huge middle section between Fort Smith and Texarkana? Are they even moving forward with any sections in that area (construction-wise)?

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 28, 2016, 11:37:00 AM
This article reports that the extra $50 million needed to convert the Bella Vista Bypass ("BVB") in Arkansas from two lanes to four lanes is identified in an initial version of the Arkansas 2016-2020 draft STIP
Quote from: Gordon on March 21, 2016, 10:18:08 PM
AHTD STIP for 2016-2020  has I49 job - I40 to HWY 22 ( Arkansas River) Preliminary Engineering to let bid in 2017. I didn't see any other new construction work for I 49 other than the already planned Widening  to 6 lanes from Fayetteville to Bentonville

AHTD's 2016-2020 Draft STIP identifies the remaining Bella Vista Bypass projects, including the $50 million to convert the BVB from two lanes to four lanes, as AR 549 projects (p. 95/351 of pdf; p. 79 of document):

Time to wait for Missouri's STIP.

Quote from: I-39 on March 22, 2016, 04:54:47 PM
Seriously, how in the heck are they going to fund and construct that huge middle section between Fort Smith and Texarkana? Are they even moving forward with any sections in that area (construction-wise)?

I did not see any US 71 projects in the Draft STIP that appear to be I-49 upgrades.

US71

At this rate, I-49 will never get done.............  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Governor Hutchinson wants to take money from the state's "rainy day fund" to improve highways (and construct I-49) and improve education... right after he rewards his corporate sponsors who got him elected.

bjrush

It's literally dozens of projects on a wish list.  How fast do you expect progress?
Woo Pig Sooie

I-39

Quote from: bjrush on March 22, 2016, 08:08:28 PM

It's literally dozens of projects on a wish list.  How fast do you expect progress?

This has been on the planning docket for many years, and building it has been the equivalent of pulling teeth. To be fair, that can be said for any major road project like this, but the longer they wait, the more difficult it will be to build, as costs will go up. It would be nice if they could get going one of these years.

Gordon

Yes, the finishing of Bella Vista Bypass is only if Missouri comes up with the money to do there part. There is 2 money items from the Federal Highway Department that could help if Missouri and Arkansas apply for them. A Tiger Grant for 2016 and a Fright Projects Grant that would help finish the Bella Vista Bypass, Hope they are smart enough to apply.

US71

FWIW, I-540 north of Van Buren was proposed since the mid 1960's (and a totally different alignment)

Wayward Memphian

Quote from: I-39 on March 22, 2016, 09:01:50 PM

This has been on the planning docket for many years, and building it has been the equivalent of pulling teeth. To be fair, that can be said for any major road project like this, but the longer they wait, the more difficult it will be to build, as costs will go up. It would be nice if they could get going one of these years.

Only way it happens quicker is if Arkansas builds it as a toll road north and south of Mena to the tune of about 10 bucks each way, 5 for each segment.

I'd be fine with it, the locals could always use a then near abandoned old US 71.

Add one across the north of the State as well.

bjrush

They are already building I-49 in the form of the Bella Vista bypass. Finishing that was a dream not that long ago

Change comes incrementally. We don't even currently get all of our federal funds
Woo Pig Sooie

Grzrd

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2015, 08:37:15 AM
Rumor is that the next section of I-49 between Greenwood and Texarkana will be a bypass of Mena. Has this been confirmed? There would be exits at AR 8 and 88, CR 70, and some sort of interchange where it meets US 71 southwest of Mena. How are the CR 70 and the southwestern interchange going to be configured?
(above quote from I-49 Mena bypass thread)
Quote from: Grzrd on March 22, 2016, 05:09:39 PM
AHTD's 2016-2020 Draft STIP ....
I did not see any US 71 projects in the Draft STIP that appear to be I-49 upgrades.

This March 30 article reports on Arkansas Highway Commissioner Dick Trammel's March 24 presentation to the Mena Rotary Club; however, the article only reports on Commissioner Trammel's discussion of AHTD's funding challenges and is silent regarding I-49. That said, the presentation does include one I-49 slide (p. 19/28 of pdf), but it only indicates that the section of I-49 from Chaffee Crossing to Texarkana is "proposed" and does not hint at any activity in the Mena area or anywhere else between Chaffee Crossing and Texarkana:

Commissioner Trammel presumably made some comments in relation to this slide, but it seems unlikely that he hinted Mena might be next in line for some I-49 construction.

Bobby5280

I'm kind of a Google Earth junkie. So I just noticed Google put down some new satellite imagery showing progress of the Belle Vista Bypass. Imagery is dated March 4, 2016.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 21, 2016, 12:49:30 AM
I'm kind of a Google Earth junkie. So I just noticed Google put down some new satellite imagery showing progress of the Belle Vista Bypass. Imagery is dated March 4, 2016.
Right now, they're working south from Hiwasse. I need to go check progress.

Henry

It really doesn't make any sense for an Interstate to have two broken sections in the same state, so finishing I-49 is an absolute must. AR needs to stop dragging their feet and take advantage of the situation ASAP!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on April 21, 2016, 10:55:29 AM
AR needs to stop dragging their feet and take advantage of the situation ASAP!
What situation is that? Is there special federal funding to take advantage of?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.