News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Business terms and buzzwords you hate

Started by OCGuy81, March 12, 2021, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I've been on a high number of calls and Zoom meetings over the last year and have grown to hate certain corporate terms and phrases.

My biggest two offenders.

"at the end of the day" . Okaaaaay....what about now?  :ded:

"Circle back" . I'm not sure about that but I'll circle back with you.

What are some of your least favorites?

GaryV

"Getting our ducks in a row" - you don't have to line up the ducklings, they do that themselves following Mom.  Maybe not a straight line, but they all follow.

"Paradigms" (isn't that 20 cents?)
"Synergy"

And any of the silly names they come up with for the inspiration-du-jour programs.  Because you know next year it will be something else. 

We had one a while back called "Do It Right The First Time".  One wag said no, it should be "Do It Right the Next Time".  It got acroynmed as DIRTFT, pronounced "dirt-foot".  So my boss, who had to present the concept to us, dressed up as an Old Testament prophet, with robe and staff, named Dirt Foot who was going to lead his people out of the mire and into the promised land of business efficiency.  That was the only business inspiration presentation I ever liked.

wanderer2575

There's a "managementspeak" thread around here somewhere.

Several phrases drive me nuts, but top of the list is "quick question."  It's never quick, and just ask the damn question!

jmacswimmer

"Put this to bed" - in the context of resolving agency comments so a project can be approved/permitted.  It became a running joke amongst my colleagues that there was one individual we all dealt with who, above all others, absolutely loved this phrase  :banghead:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

GaryV

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 12, 2021, 10:36:54 AM
"quick question."  It's never quick
Related, "to make a long story short".  That line is usually delivered far too late.

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Henry

"Big deal"...well, isn't everything one?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

Leverage
Workflow
Actionable
Guru
Pain point
Deliverables
Take it offline
Bespoke
In a meaningful way

Chris

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Transparency

(usually said by the least transparent organizations or people ever)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2021, 11:21:43 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on March 12, 2021, 11:11:50 AM
Guru

Is "wizard" better or worse?

Wizard is something else entirely: it's an automated tool as part of a complicated program.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Max Rockatansky

I have employees not "associates"  or "team members."   I am their manager and not their "team leader."

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 12, 2021, 11:27:29 AM
I have employees not "associates"  or "team members."   I am their manager and not their "team leader."

Yes.  If several of your employees cooperate on a project, then they make a team and one of them might be the team leader.  But that's different.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

I am not a fan of "associates", but I don't have any problem with the use of "team leader/member". It sounds less hierarchical, which is a positive IMO.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 11:34:56 AM

I am not a fan of "associates", but I don't have any problem with the use of "team leader/member". It sounds less hierarchical, which is a positive IMO.

Not in my opinion.  My boss is my boss, not my buddy.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

JOANN Fabrics seems to distinguish between employees and team members, at least according to their signage: vendors are employees but not team members. The doors leading to the back rooms say "employees only", but signs around the store tell you to ask a team member if you need help.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2021, 11:45:56 AM
... but signs around the store tell you to ask a team member if you need help.

Maybe they mean to ask someone on your own team for help.   :crazy:
Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2021, 11:44:20 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 11:34:56 AM

Not in my opinion.  My boss is my boss, not my buddy.

Less hierarchical in the sense of encouraging teamwork, collaboration, and two-way communication.

Leadership is one of the most important characteristics a boss should possess, and working well together as a group is one of the most important characteristics a group of employees should possess.

Rothman

Actually had a boss' boss that would say this about our work:

"This is a bottom up, top down, iterative process."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 12:16:12 PM
Less hierarchical in the sense of encouraging teamwork, collaboration, and two-way communication.

Leadership is one of the most important characteristics a boss should possess, and working well together as a group is one of the most important characteristics a group of employees should possess.

I know what you meant.  I have a meeting on Monday morning with my boss, along with several other employees, to discuss how we're going to tackle an upcoming project, how the work is going to be divided up between us, schedules, etc.  We employees will need to work well together, I'm sure.  But our boss isn't the one who's going to be doing that.  She's the one who tells us what she expects, tells us what to do.  Her expectations will be the ones we need to meet.  She's the boss.

Two-way communication is great, but directives only flow in one direction.  It's similar to how I feel about students calling their teachers by first name, or children doing the same to their parents.  My wife and I teach our children to refer to teachers as 'Mr ___' or 'Mrs ___', and to answer with 'yes sir' or 'yes ma'am' as a sign of respect and to reinforce the distinction in role between teacher and student.  That principle, in my opinion, should carry over into the workplace:  my boss is not merely a co-worker, but rather she is hierarchically above me.  That's a good thing, and a distinction that should not be erased by semantics.
Male pronouns, please.

texaskdog

Reaching out.  No one used to ever say it and now it's extremely overused.  Can't I just contact someone?

Touch base and referring to customers as "guests" are two more

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

bm7

I've noticed in online video games, companies often like to use the word "hotfix" for any small fix/update to a game. The definition of hotfix is supposed to be an update that is able to be done with either no or very minimal downtime, the word "hot" referring to the fact that a server is still running when the update is done on it. But instead, a lot of the times I see them call something a "hotfix" the downtime is just as long as a normal update for that game, which sometimes can be a couple hours.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.