News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

(Un?)Popular Automobile Opinions.

Started by kenarmy, August 08, 2022, 09:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

Quote from: Bruce on August 15, 2022, 02:44:07 AM
Speaking of, full-size RVs should require a special license with strict and rigorous testing. Your grandparents should not be driving around a huge RV around every little backroad without further training and competency tests every year.

The larger RVs may require a CDL in many states.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: JayhawkCO on August 15, 2022, 02:12:43 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2022, 02:03:50 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on August 15, 2022, 08:51:21 AM

- If you have been somewhere more than twice and you still set your GPS when you leave, you are a dope.

I would distinguish between the person who does this for navigation reasons–in which case I tend to agree with your assessment–and the person whose device is able to download traffic information and recommend alternate routings that might save time if there is an accident or something else messing up the most direct route. In the latter scenario, I don't see any reason why someone should not go ahead and set the device when leaving.

100%. Every time I need to drive somewhere near downtown, I map it since it's quickest to go one of three ways, and depending on traffic, it might make a 20 minute difference. I also map every time I drive into the mountains since, if there's an accident somewhere, there are very limited detour paths you can take. Crappy traffic on I-70 yesterday was mildly abated by taking a 10 minute detour that I wouldn't have known I needed to take unless I was using software.
I know foco like the back of my hand, but sometimes will still google an address so i can see which house it is (3rd on left past blabla street, i.e.) This is handy at night since literally no-one leaves a porch light on anymore when they're expecting a delivery.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Scott5114

That's weird–I leave my front porch light on 24/7, whether I'm expecting a delivery or not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

At this time of year, I take walks at dusk and generally find about 80%-90% of houses in my subdivision don't have exterior lights continuously on in front.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 21, 2022, 04:04:28 AM
That's weird–I leave my front porch light on 24/7, whether I'm expecting a delivery or not.

Your delivery drivers thank you. Help us help you.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Rothman

24/7?

Astronomical utility bill. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on August 22, 2022, 06:52:48 AM
24/7?

Astronomical utility bill. :D

They're LEDs. Barely makes a difference, especially with how much the A/C needs to run to keep it from being 1190° inside.

J N Winkler

The last time I analyzed our electric bill, I discovered we consume over twice as many kilowatt-hours during the heaviest usage month (typically July or August) as during the lightest (January or February).  This is nearly all attributable to A/C usage.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

I installed an in-wall timer for ours (there are three lights out front). I had originally tried using screw-in light sensors that would turn the lights on or off based on ambient light outside, but they didn't work as well as I had hoped, perhaps because the front lights are in shadow in the afternoon and the sensors therefore turned the lights on too soon.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

I dread the day no gas-powered cars will be built. Unless further technological advances are made, I'll just hang onto my 2019 Equinox.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on August 24, 2022, 01:44:12 PM
I dread the day no gas-powered cars will be built. Unless further technological advances are made, I'll just hang onto my 2019 Equinox.

I'm curious to see how popular used commercial fleet vehicles will become in the aftermarket when they are the last real ICE options.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2022, 01:48:54 PM

I'm curious to see how popular used commercial fleet vehicles will become in the aftermarket when they are the last real ICE options.
I can't see that many people being suddenly interested in high-mileage, well-used vehicles that reek of cigarette smoke just because they're gasoline-powered.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 24, 2022, 02:32:34 PM

I can't see that many people being suddenly interested in high-mileage, well-used vehicles that reek of cigarette smoke just because they're gasoline-powered.

The prospect of police issued vehicles was always something that intrigued me when the Panther Platform Crown Victorias were around.  Now that California is about to make the 2035 passenger sales ban law it gets my mind stirring on possible in-state loopholes.  I can certainly see myself possibly looking into DLA Disposition Services sell offs of ICEs in the future given there is usually some deals to be had.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2022, 05:05:48 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 24, 2022, 02:32:34 PM

The prospect of police issued vehicles was always something that intrigued me when the Panther Platform Crown Victorias were around.  Now that California is about to make the 2035 passenger sales ban law it gets my mind stirring on possible in-state loopholes.  I can certainly see myself possibly looking into DLA Disposition Services sell offs of ICEs in the future given there is usually some deals to be had.
Ah, I was thinking of rental car fleets.

When ex-police cars are sold off, I assume they have the same interior as when they were in service?  As much as I like the idea of driving an ex-cop car, I can't say I'm delighted at the prospect of driving a car where the back doors can't be opened from the inside by anyone.

Scott5114

That and cops aren't exactly known for driving gently.

Max Rockatansky

Nor are government employees.  But if you can get a 7 year old lower market tier car with potentially less than 40,000 miles it can still be worth having a look.

Regarding cop cars one of the more common issues is lumpy cam shafts from sitting around idling really often.  If it is a patrol car then yes all the police gear gets stripped out.  Most police auction patrol cars I've seen still had the vinyl back seats though.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2022, 05:22:59 PMIf it is a patrol car then yes all the police gear gets stripped out.  Most police auction patrol cars I've seen still had the vinyl back seats though.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking of, rather than SCMODS and the like.

I've seen at least one ex-cop car that still had the spotlight near the driver-side sideview mirror.

kernals12

The rise of the SUV and the disappearance of the sedan is a good thing. The sedan body style is stupid in how it wastes all that space above the trunklid.

Also, today's SUVs simply represent a return to form. At the end of World War 2, the average car was as tall as today's SUVs. Then Detroit became enamored with longer, lower, wider and by 1960 car buyers just sheepishly accepted they were supposed to duck to get in and out of their cars.

The weird thing is the people who claim to support building "up, not out" for cities oppose it for automobiles.

kernals12

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 10, 2022, 05:21:48 PM
All cars look like identical pods now.

Loud exhaust is for stupid attention-whores.

Motorcycles are death traps and anyone who likes them is wrong.

The bigger the pick-up truck, the more insecure the driver is about the size of his johnson.
Extra small-dick cred if it's a diesel.

Cars are now life-style accessories first and transportation second.

That has always been the case bro.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 11:22:37 AM

The bigger the pick-up truck, the more insecure the driver is about the size of his johnson.

Kind of, there was about two decades of noticeable variation around the 1950s-early 1970s era.  Safety standards contribute have heavily to how cars have looked really since Federally mandated 5 MPH bumpers have been a thing.  All the same, volume automakers will/always try to find a pleasing general facade which will sell in high volume and not be too polarizing.  The CUV is the new safe volume automotive shape whereas in the past it was the 90s jelly bean or 80s box.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2022, 11:37:49 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 11:22:37 AM

Kind of, there was about two decades of noticeable variation around the 1950s-early 1970s era.
Safety standards contribute have heavily to how cars have looked really since Federally mandated 5 MPH bumpers have been a thing.  All the same, volume automakers will/always try to find a pleasing general facade which will sell in high volume and not be too polarizing.  The CUV is the new safe volume automotive shape whereas in the past it was the 90s jelly bean or 80s box.

I strongly disagree.

Max Rockatansky

Watch the evolution of the jet style cars from the late 1940s to 1960s.  There was some huge variation in the designs between brands that make them easy to identify.  Likewise most cars through the sixties to the Federal crash regs are largely also identifiable.  Even more mundane looking cars like the Nova, Falcon and Dart are still easy to identify from each other.  That's not even touching on how crazy looking muscle cars and pony cars could get in that era.  Even cars on the same platform could at times look substantially different from each other.

kernals12

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2022, 04:18:00 PM
Watch the evolution of the jet style cars from the late 1940s to 1960s.  There was some huge variation in the designs between brands that make them easy to identify.  Likewise most cars through the sixties to the Federal crash regs are largely also identifiable.  Even more mundane looking cars like the Nova, Falcon and Dart are still easy to identify from each other.  That's not even touching on how crazy looking muscle cars and pony cars could get in that era.  Even cars on the same platform could at times look substantially different from each other.

I have no trouble telling a RAV4 from a CRV. But then again, I know more than the average person about cars. If the average person can't tell the difference between a RAV4 and a CRV then 50 years ago, they would not have been able to tell a Ford from a Plymouth.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 04:37:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2022, 04:18:00 PM

I have no trouble telling a RAV4 from a CRV. But then again, I know more than the average person about cars. If the average person can't tell the difference between a RAV4 and a CRV then 50 years ago, they would not have been able to tell a Ford from a Plymouth.

Suffice to say I'm not exactly hurting for automotive knowledge myself.  I do have a tendency to have trouble distinguishing a lot modern CUVs at a glance whereas I could easily tell the difference with older vehicles.  Maybe that's because I'm older than you and I am subconsciously dismissive of newer vehicles that I don't quite find all that appealing?  Either way, I don't see a true objective measure and I was to clarify my above thoughts I would certainly classify them as subjective.

Here is an opinion likely to be unpopular, I tend to find run of the mill commuter cars way more fascinating than performance cars.  I could read or watch reviews regarding boxy four cylinder cars of old all day provided the opportunity.  Then again, that kind of was the gist of the whole 70s, 80s and 90s automobile thread when I started it years ago.

Bruce

Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 11:20:51 AM
The weird thing is the people who claim to support building "up, not out" for cities oppose it for automobiles.

How the hell are these related? High-rise buildings don't create blind spots for a dozen children who can get run over and mangled by careless drivers.

There's plenty of SUVs that don't require pedestrians to be 10 ft tall to be visible, like the Cadillac Escalade. A CRV would do just fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.