Do universities still let students live off campus?

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2023, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Did anyone else have the experience where the dining hall food at orientation was much, much better than it was on a normal day?

Big John

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2023, 12:32:08 PM
Did anyone else have the experience where the dining hall food at orientation was much, much better than it was on a normal day?
Yes, and during parents' weekend

jmacswimmer

Yes x100 - whenever I'd come home and complain about the dining hall to my parents, their reaction would be "but it was so good at move-in!!!"  (My response? "Yup, that's what they want you to think." )

As for me, freshmen were required to live on-campus but could move off-campus sophomore year onward. It was well-known at my alma mater that there was not enough housing for the entire student population, but usually enough people moved off (and landlords in the surrounding streets liked to lease to students and charged reasonable rates) that it was never really an issue. I moved off for sophomore year and wound up staying in the same apartment for my last 3 years - not having to move again each year was definitely nice!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bandit957

The cafeteria at NKU would occasionally serve spoiled food.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

GaryV

We had our infamous Green Bean and Egg Casserole. One pan was enough to serve the entire evening dinner, usually with leftovers appearing at lunch the next day.

I was never brave enough to try it.

SD Mapman

Significantly yes; the running joke was the caf only had good food on the student visit days and no time else (it actually wasn't terrible but it was a conversation starter). At my school you had to apply to be let off-campus, which usually happened for most seniors (and now some juniors cause they're running out of space). The idea was to have as many people as possible live on-campus to facilitate building a culture... which I mostly avoided either running or hiding in the engineering building.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

US 89

Our dining hall food generally was never great, but it wasn't really horrible either. Our biggest problem was that they tended to run out of food later in the evening.

We had two dining halls on east campus where I lived. On holidays/break weekends, they'd usually have limited hours/make less food because they assumed people would be going home or away or whatever. Which is fine, but my freshman year MLK weekend, they apparently forgot that people would be coming back to campus on that Monday night. They ran out of almost all their food long before I got there; I waited for 45 minutes for their only food, which turned out to be a salty mystery meat taco with nothing else on it. A couple friends and I decided to just give up and go find someplace off campus.

There was also the time my lettuce from the salad bar came with a little extra protein:

kalvado

Quote from: US 89 on February 05, 2023, 11:45:00 AM
There was also the time my lettuce from the salad bar came with a little extra protein:
As far as I understand, that is not uncommon. Not too appetizing, but neither a huge health issue. FDA has a standard for that:
https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredients-additives-gras-packaging-guidance-documents-regulatory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook
Levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards for humans.
Action levels:
Broccoli, Frozen: Average of 60 or more aphids and/or thrips and/or mites per 100 grams
Wheat Flour: Average of 75 or more insect fragments per 50 grams; Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams
Bon appetite!

Road Hog

The chow hall at my school in the late 1990s was pretty cheap for off-campus students. At the time it was still only $3.10 per meal with an ID card and it wasn't great, but it was a meal. You could also buy a pre-paid card at an even lower rate.

The selection has greatly improved over the ol' gagateria since then, with Which Wich, Starbucks and Slim Chickens on campus and the usual fast food joints just off campus.

ran4sh

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 31, 2023, 07:26:15 AM
QuoteBut, when I went to college 30 years ago, prior to Obamacare, kids got kicked off their parents' insurance early on (18, I think).  Fun times and one of the many ways Gen X got screwed.

I think that was the one part of Obamacare that no one considered controversial.

I don't remember this being part of Obamacare though. I went to college in the mid-00s (read: pre-Obamacare) and I didn't get kicked off my parents' insurance.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Scott5114

Quote from: ran4sh on February 06, 2023, 02:19:39 AM
QuoteBut, when I went to college 30 years ago, prior to Obamacare, kids got kicked off their parents' insurance early on (18, I think).  Fun times and one of the many ways Gen X got screwed.

I think that was the one part of Obamacare that no one considered controversial.

I don't remember this being part of Obamacare though. I went to college in the mid-00s (read: pre-Obamacare) and I didn't get kicked off my parents' insurance.

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) included restrictions prohibiting insurance companies from dropping children from their parents' health coverage until the age of 26. Before that, insurance companies were allowed to do so (but they weren't required to–I assume your parents' insurance just had a policy of not doing that, or they paid extra to keep it from happening.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2023, 04:50:11 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on February 06, 2023, 02:19:39 AM

The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) included restrictions prohibiting insurance companies from dropping children from their parents' health coverage until the age of 26. Before that, insurance companies were allowed to do so (but they weren't required to–I assume your parents' insurance just had a policy of not doing that, or they paid extra to keep it from happening.)
Exactly, COBRA.  Or, you got health coverage through the college/university.

To this day, ACA did not provide the same protection for dental/vision, since teeth and eyes are luxuries.  Heck, I'm fighting my dental insurance provider to keep my son on the policy -- the crappy policy has a provision that your kid has to be a full-time student to be on it...but I found a clause in the certificate that they can be kept on if they're still "completing graduation requirements," which my son is.  We'll see how this goes.

'Murrica.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I've never understood why dental and vision coverage isn't part of the same damned policy that everything else is.

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2023, 07:14:19 AM
I've never understood why dental and vision coverage isn't part of the same damned policy that everything else is.
Same here, especially since tooth problems are connected to other health issues.

And vision...my word...yep, let's just let people go blind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

It's like if you had a homeowner's policy that covered the whole house, except for the second-largest bedroom.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 07:18:56 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 06, 2023, 07:14:19 AM
Same here, especially since tooth problems are connected to other health issues.

And vision...my word...yep, let's just let people go blind.
And what exactly is covered under vision policy? Is it just vision correction - glasses, lenses, minor surgery; or bigger problems like glaucoma or retina detachment also included? Or, as scary as it sounds, malignant issue in the eye?

GaryV

Quote from: kalvado on February 06, 2023, 08:25:33 AM
or bigger problems like glaucoma or retina detachment also included? Or, as scary as it sounds, malignant issue in the eye?
Many of those things are covered by medical, not vision insurance.

Roadgeekteen

At UMass, students are required to live on campus freshman year only. Most stay on campus sophomore year, and many move off Junior year.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 04:57:53 PM
At UMass, students are required to live on campus freshman year only. Most stay on campus sophomore year, and many move off Junior year.

I'm surprised the different UMass campuses have different policies. (UMass Lowell has no such requirement.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 06, 2023, 05:01:12 PM

I'm surprised the different UMass campuses have different policies. (UMass Lowell has no such requirement.)
UMass Amherst does have an exception if you live within 40 miles to the campus already (aka a student who lives in Amherst). The other branch UMass campuses probably all have the same rules as Lowell.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 06, 2023, 05:03:55 PM

UMass Amherst does have an exception if you live within 40 miles to the campus already (aka a student who lives in Amherst). The other branch UMass campuses probably all have the same rules as Lowell.
The West is the Best. ZoooooooMass!

SectorZ

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 05:10:47 PM

Except at sports.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on February 06, 2023, 05:15:09 PM

Except at sports.
Hockey fell off real bad this year, MBB is meh, WBB is second in the A10 behind Rhode Island and is on an 8 game win streak.

Rothman

Except at sports.
*facepalm*

The "West" are the Southwest dorms, notoriously poorly maintained and trashed by the dregs of society that attend UMass Amherst.  Fire extinguisher fights, elevator surfing and general debauchery reign therein.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Rothman on February 06, 2023, 06:54:11 PM

Except at sports.
*facepalm*

The "West" are the Southwest dorms, notoriously poorly maintained and trashed by the dregs of society that attend UMass Amherst.  Fire extinguisher fights, elevator surfing and general debauchery reign therein.
I live in one of towers in Southwest (if you really want to know what tower I live in, message me I don't want to give away too much personal information public on the internet).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.