News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stopping at a certain post count

Started by webny99, June 02, 2017, 04:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

My question is two-fold.

1 Have you ever decided to stop posting when you hit a certain amount of posts?

2 I want as many of my remaining posts as possible to be new threads. So what makes a thread interesting and worthy of replying to?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

7/8

Why would you want to stop at a certain post count?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Max Rockatansky

What is you kids and post counts lately?  Maybe they all ought to be hidden so there is no reason to give a shit.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 06:13:20 PM
What is you kids and post counts lately?  Maybe they all ought to be hidden so there is no reason to give a shit.

I deleted 11 posts from 2014-2016 in the Worst of Road Signs thread to reduce thread size (it's at 194 pages now). I don't care that it reduced my post count by 11.

(I did make sure that I didn't delete posts that were necessary for the discussion to make sense.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MNHighwayMan

Don't worry, right now there's only an issue because it's summer, thus no school. It'll return to normal in a few months.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on June 02, 2017, 06:18:52 PM

I deleted 11 posts from 2014-2016 in the Worst of Road Signs thread to reduce thread size (it's at 194 pages now). I don't care that it reduced my post count by 11.

(I did make sure that I didn't delete posts that were necessary for the discussion to make sense.)

Well...that wasn't aimed at you.  Suffice to say that some of the "new" users have made a thing out of post counts and are padding with fluff threads.  So to answer the OP's question with some clarity, crap like this thread is worthless fluff.

MNHighwayMan

As a thought I just had, I also feel like I should point out that contemporary young people probably are not nearly as familiar with forum/bulletin board etiquette as some of us older people are. (Did I just call myself old...? :ded:)

vdeane

On another forum I used to read, there was a user who stopped posting when his post count hit 666.  If anything ever happened to make his post count go down, he'd post again until it was back to 666.

Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 09:25:18 PM
As an aside, I never inferred or stated that I "care" about my post count...
When you say that you intend to stop posting at a certain post count, people tend to assume you care about your post count.
Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 04:38:21 PM
My question is two-fold.

2 I want as many of my remaining posts as possible to be new threads. So what makes a thread interesting and worthy of replying to?
Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 04:43:59 PM
Quote from: NE2 on June 02, 2017, 04:41:21 PM
You should stop when you hit 171.

Nope  :bigass:
I've already decided, and it's not 171 or 172.
Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on June 02, 2017, 05:14:18 PM

Legacy.
(emphasis mine)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DaBigE

Legacy.

On an internet forum? This one? It's not like you're achieving 3000 hits in baseball or just won the triple crown or insert other sporting achievement here.

The only reason I care about post count is it can give a relative sense of a posters/post's content "legitimacy" and so I know how far I am from the next banner icon. But with the latter reason, I am not going to purposely start a zillion pointless polls or gap-filling posts to boost up to the next level faster.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

1. Why would you stop?

2. Caring a lot about post counts is a very new user thing, and I think I know the reason. It is a lot quicker to advance ranks as a new user than when you get more posts.

3. I know I kinda suck at forum etiquette, but I am learning

4. I still don't get the point of this thread.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 06:25:51 PM

Well...that wasn't aimed at you.  Suffice to say that some of the "new" users have made a thing out of post counts and are padding with fluff threads.  So to answer the OP's question with some clarity, crap like this thread is worthless fluff.

Yet worthy of replying to  :bigass:

Worth calling out as crap Mr. "Legacy."  Everyone knows that is exactly what you're after, you post about a billion nothing threads a day with no substance to them. 

Quote from: DaBigE on June 02, 2017, 10:29:40 PM

Legacy.

On an internet forum? This one? It's not like you're achieving 3000 hits in baseball or just won the triple crown or insert other sporting achievement here.

The only reason I care about post count is it can give a relative sense of a posters/post's content "legitimacy" and so I know how far I am from the next banner icon. But with the latter reason, I am not going to purposely start a zillion pointless polls or gap-filling posts to boost up to the next level faster.

Hence what I was getting at maybe making the post counts hidden.  In general you can infer a lot from someone's member status, generally a lot of these users who create a ton of threads like this flame out pretty quickly after starting quickly.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 11:09:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 02, 2017, 06:25:51 PM

Yet worthy of replying to  :bigass:

Worth calling out as crap Mr. "Legacy."  Everyone knows that is exactly what you're after, you post about a billion nothing threads a day with no substance to them. 

Quote from: DaBigE on June 02, 2017, 10:29:40 PM

Legacy.

Hence what I was getting at maybe making the post counts hidden.  In general you can infer a lot from someone's member status, generally a lot of these users who create a ton of threads like this flame out pretty quickly after starting quickly.
Serious question. Do my threads have substance, or are they "nothing threads."

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hbelkins

Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2017, 04:38:21 PM
My question is two-fold.

Uh, no, and I really don't give a crap about how many posts I have or don't have.

Quote2 I want as many of my remaining posts as possible to be new threads. So what makes a thread interesting and worthy of replying to?

Remaining posts? It's not like there's a quota or a limit. And what makes a thread interesting or worthy of replying to depends on each individual user's interests and areas of expertise.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2017, 12:06:43 AM

I'm adept at handling ego trips. It's gonna take more than that.

Is that why you replied four times in a row when you literally could have just quoted all the replies in one post?  If you aren't on a ego trip then delete this stupid thread and call it a day.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 03, 2017, 12:25:06 AM
Quote from: webny99 on June 03, 2017, 12:06:43 AM

I'm adept at handling ego trips. It's gonna take more than that.

Is that why you replied four times in a row when you literally could have just quoted all the replies in one post?  If you aren't on a ego trip then delete this stupid thread and call it a day.
You can't delete a thread you started. You can, however ask a mod to lock it. This will probably be locked anyway pretty soon.

corco

I think the most noble thing you could possibly do is hang up your hat after 172 posts.

Scott5114

I think the forum should display an accurate post count, but not the post count of the member whose name it's under.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Kids in general just don't know to act on forums. (If you go look at my old posts here, you'll notice the same thing. They're cringe-worthy and horrible. On other forums I use, some people feel the need to type like this and it is the most irritating thing.) Just like real-life etiquette, it is something learned over time.

There is no reason to stop posting at a certain point. Post counts are basically only for reference for users to see if the other person is new or a veteran, an active or infrequent user. It's not a contest, and it's not to display something "funny". That's why we have a quote line and a signature. I don't want to be rude, but it's simply the truth.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 03, 2017, 03:49:09 PM
Kids in general just don't know to act on forums. (If you go look at my old posts here, you'll notice the same thing. They're cringe-worthy and horrible. On other forums I use, some people feel the need to type like this and it is the most irritating thing.) Just like real-life etiquette, it is something learned over time.

There is no reason to stop posting at a certain point. Post counts are basically only for reference for users to see if the other person is new or a veteran, an active or infrequent user. It's not a contest, and it's not to display something "funny". That's why we have a quote line and a signature. I don't want to be rude, but it's simply the truth.
Generaly, but it can be misleading.

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2017, 03:53:32 PM

It reflects post counts only,  not interesting or relevant posts
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JJBers

Quote from: US71 on June 10, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2017, 03:53:32 PM

It reflects post counts only,  not interesting or relevant posts
You could literally say "yeah" to every post and after a while, you'll be at 1000 posts with pretty much no contributions.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Max Rockatansky

I had half a thought for awhile during the "Great Forum Outage of 2017"  that the "forum updates" included wiping out post counts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.