AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 08:13:46 AM 
Started by ftballfan - Last post by jeffandnicole
We always had school on Veterans’ Day, but most of us figured the day after Thanksgiving was a fair trade. We did get Columbus Day. The day we got that most people don’t was Inauguration Day every four years. Led to a really short week when it fell in the same week as what was then called Lee-Jackson-King Day. (Lee-Jackson Day is still a state holiday, but it’s now the Friday before King Day. Schools are open. Courts and government offices are closed.)
Some schools don't have black friday off? That would make traveling a bitch.

I've never heard of a school not having Black Friday off. 

on: Today at 08:13:33 AM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by Beltway
The only one I found was the Patriot Centre Industrial Park which would be about 2 miles from a western alignment, and accessible by 4-lane roadways. The eastern alternative would get about 1.5 miles from it and is served by 2 lane roads... I must be missing some other development.
It is not accessible by 4-lane roads, it is 5 miles from US-220, and an I-73 interchange is planned right next to it.
There is major development planned at the other interchange VA-57 also on the northern loop. [entirely 2 lanes]
The route using 174 and 220 Business to 220 is four lanes, with the exception of a short piece of 174 that has only one lane westbound...
And at an urban bottleneck.  A poor connection compared to an excellent connection.
Moving goalposts.

In context.  Has a one-lane pinchpoint in an urban area.  A poor connection by any stretch.

on: Today at 08:11:34 AM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by NE2
The only one I found was the Patriot Centre Industrial Park which would be about 2 miles from a western alignment, and accessible by 4-lane roadways. The eastern alternative would get about 1.5 miles from it and is served by 2 lane roads... I must be missing some other development.
It is not accessible by 4-lane roads, it is 5 miles from US-220, and an I-73 interchange is planned right next to it.

There is major development planned at the other interchange VA-57 also on the northern loop. [entirely 2 lanes]

The route using 174 and 220 Business to 220 is four lanes, with the exception of a short piece of 174 that has only one lane westbound...

And at an urban bottleneck.  A poor connection compared to an excellent connection.
Moving goalposts.

on: Today at 08:07:19 AM 
Started by i-215 - Last post by ipeters61
MASSACHUSETTS:

Until recently, BGS's had exit tabs that were framed as part of the larger sign.  There was no frame break between the exit tab and the rest of the sign.
Until recently, Connecticut's BGS's had exit tabs which didn't have a border at all. https://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ct/ct_9/n1.jpg

on: Today at 08:05:59 AM 
Started by ftballfan - Last post by Roadgeekteen
We always had school on Veteransí Day, but most of us figured the day after Thanksgiving was a fair trade. We did get Columbus Day. The day we got that most people donít was Inauguration Day every four years. Led to a really short week when it fell in the same week as what was then called Lee-Jackson-King Day. (Lee-Jackson Day is still a state holiday, but itís now the Friday before King Day. Schools are open. Courts and government offices are closed.)
Some schools don't have black friday off? That would make traveling a bitch.

on: Today at 08:04:27 AM 
Started by Stephane Dumas - Last post by Roadgeekteen
This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever.

Doubtful, because there's lots of people who want to see the Patriots win, and lot more who probably want to see them lose. Even a "low rated"  Superbowl is still winds up one of the top 2-3 TV events in the US every year. Sure, there's millions of folks and sports fans who tune in every year regardless of who plays...it would have been fun to watch a Chiefs - Saints matchup, but it would likely have had even less viewers, as they represent smaller media markets. I'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

It will help also that we'll have Tony Romo as an announcer, and not Cris Collinsworth. Big improvement.
I love Romo! I like the way he says "oh, oh, oh I don't know Jim"

on: Today at 08:03:32 AM 
Started by johndoe - Last post by jeffandnicole
What a horrific use of land

It takes up no more room than the existing interchange.

on: Today at 08:03:01 AM 
Started by Desert Man - Last post by Roadgeekteen
7 degrees and very cold, wet and icy.

on: Today at 08:02:19 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by Roadgeekteen
I could turn into my dad and get really interested in trains, old rail stations and abandoned rail lines, plus other aspects of the railroad business I can't think about at the moment.

I am equally interested in roads and rail, for different reasons. I come from a railroad family with roots in the 1800's rail systems of the south. And I grew up watching the interstate highway system being built. Both my dad and I were/are civil engineers who have worked for both railroads and state highway agencies, and I now work in the private sector where I work on projects for both modes. I am probably one of the few people who worked on construction of a legacy interstate highway (I-55) and a commuter rail extension (what is now Metra Electric to University Park) before the age of 21.
I have a secondary interest in rail, my interests tend to switch sometimes, I like rail more in the spring.

on: Today at 08:00:49 AM 
Started by 1995hoo - Last post by kalvado
Still a fairly crude measure of mileage to only have one reading per year.  Then the question arises as how to track partial year such as selling one car and buying another.  Also the fact that the 12-month  inspection cycle doesn't go from January to December, it starts the month the car is licensed.
Not that big of a deal if rates are adjusted annually and there is one collection a year. Property taxes work somewhat similar.
Use mileage at a time of sale to compute the toll due at registration (what about out of state transactions, though?).
Odometer tampering may be a bigger issue.

Isn't odometer tampering practically impossible with today's systems?  Property taxes don't involve reading a metered device.  So rather than having one place to read it (inspection station), there would need to be a reading for both vehicles at the time of transfer.
If it can be made by human being, it can be modified by another human being. It's a matter of price and benefit. Mostly additional benefit of sale with mileage below actual.
As for official readings - in NY mileage at the time of sale is reported to DMV as part of the transaction, with two signatures - seller and buyer. Any discrepancy will be taken care of during next inspection anyway; and in NY that inspection is due within 10 days after private party sale, or at the time of sale by a dealer.
Vehicle disposal may be a bit more interesting, though.
If OBDII had the ability to read mileage and possibly detect tampering, things would be even more  interesting.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.