News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 06, 2018, 08:13:52 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 06, 2018, 05:39:41 PM
Not unique in CA, but very unique elsewhere I think.

A one-way sign on Joint Base Lewis-McChord (Fort Lewis precisely) in Washington State with a cutout arrowhead. Pretty new.

JBLM also has a bunch of signs in Clearview, and even a few in Transport (the UK font), so I guess this isn't crazy for them.

https://i.imgur.com/VsGelFW.jpg

If the infrastructure is of an uncommon specialty, perhaps the sign was specified by a contractor or designer of Californian origin.

It's possible. I'm not sure who runs military traffic engineering departments, but they easily could have been from CA and were just doing this as a sort of salute to the "old ways".

JBLM (as I'm sure many military bases do) has a ton of weird signs. Fluorescent yellow green for height restrictions, "STOP THIS LANE *ARROW*" without the words (just the arrow), the Transport font...I think there's more. More than a few "Tank Crossing" signs too, but those aren't weird.

ipeters61

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 07, 2018, 08:25:33 AM
Quote from: Tonytone on December 06, 2018, 08:20:44 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on November 29, 2018, 03:11:06 PM
Does any place outside of New Castle, DE post welcome signs like this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6649153,-75.6377598,3a,75y,16.99h,98.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7igb8XUU0f9eLTjSD4Qquw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
Essentially welcoming you to places you're not in yet
Dont disrespect our lovable blue signs, that dont get updated or replaced for many years.
Here's an oddball one I saw in the Cheswold area last weekend. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2043644,-75.5686122,3a,34.1y,91.71h,90.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-tgmNximXHE4sbut4p56Kw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1
Thats the new ones, I guess all the extra color is not necessary anymore.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on December 07, 2018, 02:04:00 AM
JBLM (as I'm sure many military bases do) has a ton of weird signs. Fluorescent yellow green for height restrictions, "STOP THIS LANE *ARROW*" without the words (just the arrow), the Transport font...I think there's more. More than a few "Tank Crossing" signs too, but those aren't weird.

From what I remember, all the signs on Tinker Air Force Base in Midwest City, OK are brown with Helvetica. That may just be an Air Force thing, though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

Another sign from Grant City, Staten Island:

https://goo.gl/maps/xiaSgqmgg222

I don't think we have to even bother to ask if this thing is MUTCD-compliant.

:-P

ipeters61

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 07, 2018, 01:50:27 PM

:-P
I think it's listed on page 104 of the 2009 Federal MUTCD.  :sombrero:
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 07, 2018, 01:57:57 PM

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 07, 2018, 01:50:27 PM

I think it's listed on page 104 of the 2009 Federal MUTCD.

Indeed it is.  W16-19P, to be precise.  How did I not catch that before now?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on December 07, 2018, 03:36:16 PM
Browsing around GSV, I found this holy sign in Chiapas.  Never seen anything like it before.

Well, it just so happens I saw another sign like that just two days later, while browsing some pictures on Eric Stuve's flickr site.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/4845840208/in/photolist-8odcoA-8odct7-8odcj3-8oa2Cn-8odca9-8oa2k2
Male pronouns, please.

csw

Only thing I can think of is that the holes are a windbreak.

formulanone

Browsing around GSV, I found this holy sign in Chiapas.  Never seen anything like it before.

I've seen some span wire-mounted signs with similar holes, although not large guide signs. Usually scattered around Ohio, but I can't think of anywhere else I've seen them.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Amtrakprod

Quote from: formulanone on December 10, 2018, 05:34:43 PM

I've seen some span wire-mounted signs with similar holes, although not large guide signs. Usually scattered around Ohio, but I can't think of anywhere else I've seen them.

Hmmm, I think I've seen those before, they alternate red when a truck is leaving. They are smart, kinda like the HAWK signal. Anyways I think we are talking about Signs not signals, but we should start a topic for weird Signals.
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

formulanone

Amtrakprod

A one-way sign on Joint Base Lewis-McChord (Fort Lewis precisely) in Washington State with a cutout arrowhead. Pretty new.

JBLM also has a bunch of signs in Clearview, and even a few in Transport (the UK font), so I guess this isn't crazy for them.

Just saw this in an episode of the Office

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 11, 2018, 04:02:28 PM

The Office was filmed in Van Nuys, near Los Angeles. Not sure how many people realize this.

Amtrakprod

iPhone

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Ian

Maine has a lot of "holy" signage throughout the state. I've mostly seen it done on overhead white lane assignment signs, but it's made its way onto smaller green guide signs as well, such as this case along ME 3 in Ellsworth.

In a similar vein, these span-wire mounted guide signs in Conway, New Hampshire have slats cut out for wind resistance.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

dcharlie

What's the purpose of the holes?  Decreased wind resistance?

roadfro

Quote from: dcharlie on December 12, 2018, 03:34:33 PM
What's the purpose of the holes?  Decreased wind resistance?
Yep. Same reason why signal backplates usually have the slats around the edges.

You don't see it too often on overhead signs though. But especially if signs are hung from span wire, it probably helps decrease likelihood of sustained winds tensing up the wires (sure to the signs acting like sails) and yanking the wires out of the supporting masts.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on December 12, 2018, 07:26:11 AM

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2018, 03:23:08 PM

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2018, 03:23:08 PM

This may be one of the greatest GIF applications in history.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

I didn't even mean to use an Office gif. Stanley just happened to say what I was thinking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.