News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Upper Peninsula "National" Road Meet, September 2015

Started by bulldog1979, September 04, 2014, 11:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog1979

Here is the initial announcement for the Upper Peninsula, two-day, "National" Roadmeet. I'm announcing the dates early because it will be held on Labor Day Weekend 2015. For those coming from out of state, they may want to make plans for Labor Day to attend the Mackinac Bridge Walk. I suggest looking at rooms in the Straits Area early to secure one because the bridge walk is a popular event.

More details will be forthcoming, but Marquette will be the host city for the two days of the meet. My plan is to depart Marquette on Saturday morning (9/5) to visit stops in western Marquette County before heading up to Houghton for lunch and an afternoon in the Copper Country, culminating at US 41's northern terminus east of Copper Harbor. On Sunday, we'll reconvene for lunch in Marquette and an afternoon tour of historic road-related sites in Marquette County. The tour on Sunday will end around dinner to allow time to drive to the Straits Area for those wishing to do the bridge walk the next morning.

I will set up events on Facebook in the future as more concrete plans are set. My original host restaurant here in Marquette closed this year on two days' notice, so I hesitate to specify too many details this far out, but with the holiday I want to get as much lead time for people to find their hotel accommodations as possible.

corco

Sweet!

This is my top priority for meet attendance next year, outside of my own Denver meet of course. Not too far from Montana, and I really want to check out that area of the country when there's no snow on the ground.

Duke87

Definitely keeping an eye on this. I will attend on my way west if I am making my second cross country trip next September (although I may attend Saturday only), however said trip might be happening in May instead, depending on how things shake out.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

jpi

I will definitley keep this one in mind but I don't want to fully commit, lots of things happening next year for me from toy conventions and hopes of making my 4th trip to Albuqurque in July to possible career changes but still within the realm of the Barrel :-) The UP is about 12 to 14 hours due north of middle TN and the only other time I was up that way was May of 1998 and Steph was never in the UP so I know she would LOVE it up there. I am definityly a 50/50 maybe for now.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Marked on my calendar.  I don't think I want to miss this one, and I might just be able to help with some of the Keweenaw planning.

Points of interest I can think of already include, but are not at all limited to,

M-26 Eagle River bridges
Overlook near the Quincy Mine of the Houghton-Hancock area
Old M-111/Old M-6 and Old M-206
Brockway Mountain Drive
Gay and the Gay Bar
Portage Lake Lift Bridge
Downtown Calumet
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

This is a definite no-go for me, even if my financial situation is better next year. Sept. 7 is Melissa's birthday, and I'd be on the road most of the day trying to get home.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Definitely on my radar, though I don't want to guarantee anything yet until next year.  I would probably do just Saturday with the drive up being through Ohio, Indiana, and central Michigan and the drive back along ON 17.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

getemngo

Wouldn't miss it for the world! Will be my first Bridge Walk, too.

I do think it would make more sense to simply meet in Houghton for lunch on Saturday, and get the western Marquette County stuff on the way back east. Marquette to Copper Harbor is a nearly 3 hour drive with no stops, and starting in Marquette adds over an hour of driving to those coming from Wisconsin/Illinois (since US 141 is a more direct route to Houghton than US 41). Those who want to stay in Marquette on Friday night can do that, and those who want to stay in Houghton on Friday night (like me :)) can do that.

Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2014, 09:25:08 AM
Marked on my calendar.  I don't think I want to miss this one, and I might just be able to help with some of the Keweenaw planning.

Points of interest I can think of already include, but are not at all limited to,

M-26 Eagle River bridges
Brockway Mountain Drive
Gay and the Gay Bar
Portage Lake Lift Bridge
Downtown Calumet

I've already been working on the Keweenaw day and have a tentative itinerary and route. Everything you've listed is on it, except for Gay - didn't seem like it'd be worth the detour. But I'm willing to consider it or any other suggestions.

I'd also like to cover a few old alignments of US 41, including the section that went straight down the middle of Michigan Tech's campus, some ancient signs, and the section of M-26 in South Range that was bypassed in 2006 (drivable abandoned highway!).
~ Sam from Michigan

Brandon

Quote from: getemngo on September 05, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
I'd also like to cover a few old alignments of US 41, including the section that went straight down the middle of Michigan Tech's campus, some ancient signs, and the section of M-26 in South Range that was bypassed in 2006 (drivable abandoned highway!).

That stretch (US-41) had the old street lights as recently as 2006.  There's little left of US-41 outside of that through campus, but one can see where US-41 did go.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2014, 09:25:08 AM

M-26 Eagle River bridges
Brockway Mountain Drive
Gay and the Gay Bar
Portage Lake Lift Bridge
Downtown Calumet

And Blind 35!

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2014, 04:59:45 PM

That stretch (US-41) had the old street lights as recently as 2006.  There's little left of US-41 outside of that through campus, but one can see where US-41 did go.

map, please

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on September 05, 2014, 05:15:04 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 05, 2014, 04:59:45 PM

map, please

Old US-41 through campus

Looking west along former US-41

Old US-41, the sidewalk is original to the alignment

An Overview

vdeane

I do think it would make more sense to simply meet in Houghton for lunch on Saturday, and get the western Marquette County stuff on the way back east. Marquette to Copper Harbor is a nearly 3 hour drive with no stops, and starting in Marquette adds over an hour of driving to those coming from Wisconsin/Illinois (since US 141 is a more direct route to Houghton than US 41). Those who want to stay in Marquette on Friday night can do that, and those who want to stay in Houghton on Friday night (like me :)) can do that.
That would have the same issues for those of us coming from the east coast as Marquette does for you.  Plus it would require everyone not staying in Houghton (which would probably include most, since National meets include additional non-roads activities) to drive their own car.  I believe the idea was that part of the tour would be in the morning and part in the afternoon.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I dunno. It's a stretch but it's doable. From where I live I'd have my eye on making it to Mackinaw City the night prior. Pressing further would be possible but would mean driving the Mackinack Bridge after dark and therefore being unable to properly photograph it or really see it to appreciate it. After making this mistake with New River Gorge last spring I won't be making it again.

So, that puts me 3 hours from Marquette. Easy to drive there in the morning.

But nearly five hours from Houghton. Which means I need to make sure I get up early and get moving but can make it there for lunch even if I don't arrive on time.

Alas, Houghton is still in Eastern time, so I won't have an extra free hour to get there.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

codyg1985

This and the Denver meet are two big HELL YEAHs for me next year!
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Laura

Quote from: corco on September 04, 2014, 11:24:58 PM
Sweet!

This is my top priority for meet attendance next year, outside of my own Denver meet of course. Not too far from Montana, and I really want to check out that area of the country when there's no snow on the ground.

This would also be my top priority meet, with Denver in second. However, i don't think we'd be able to stay through to the walk on Monday.

iPhone

DanTheMan414

It's been quite awhile since I've been to the UP...this is a great excuse to get back up there.  :sombrero:

As is the case with Sam, this would be my first Bridge Walk, too.  Looking forward to this!

A.J. Bertin

YAY!!! I'm so glad that this has been officially announced. I will definitely be attending.
-A.J. from Michigan

catofdar

CatOfDar Roads...Adding random meows to road enthusiasm since 2005.

TheHighwayMan3561

I would love to join in this and will make a strong effort to.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bulldog1979

My plans for the meet are roughly as follows.

Saturday, we'll start in Marquette, meeting up with whoever is staying there. There's one stop on the way to Houghton, where we'll meet any additional people for lunch. From there the tour will run up into the Keweenaw Peninsula with a handful of stops on the way to US 41's northern terminus near Fort Wilkins State Park. Depending on time, there are some additional stops to make in the Houghton area on the way back to Marquette. Dinner will be a game-day decision, either in Houghton or Marquette. I'm sure we'll have some social activities that evening back at the hotel .(Cards Against Humanity seems to be a roadmeet tradition.)

On Sunday, we'll reconvene in Marquette for lunch and the tour around Marquette County. The goal is to end the tour in time for dinner at a decent hour, especially for those who'll need to drive the 3-3.5 hours to the Straits Area for the Mackinac Bridge Walk the next morning. I also want to allow those who'll need part of Sunday evening to travel home to have that time. I'll likely be staying with family in Negaunee both of the nights before the meet, and then with family in Cheboygan Sunday night.

If anyone attending has a FRS two-way radio, please pack it and let me know. Cellular reception in Keweenaw County is typically non-existant, and the same is definitely true for the part of the tour on Sunday that will head into northern Marquette County near the Huron Mountains.

ericnear

A maybe now. I plan on spending considerable time in Ann Arbor during the summer months next year, but haven't decided just when.
Proud of my hometown (Ironton, OH) but wouldn't ever leave my adopted home.

Molandfreak

I'm in. The chatroom people better constantly annoy me about this. Yes, this is a promise.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.