News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadwarriors79

Are there any sign replacement plans for the Thruway anytime soon? I drove on the I-90 section last summer, and the signs near Buffalo (and west of there) were almost invisible at night. I don't know if the signs being in Clearview had anything to do with that or not.

vdeane

It's more due to nonreflective sheeting on the letters, although the public perception was that it was due to the Clearview.

There's a project coming up near exit 55 that's a major rehabilitation/reconstruction that will include sign replacements.  I think it's Lackawanna-Exit 53, but don't quote me on that.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Buffaboy

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2018, 12:51:14 PM
It's more due to nonreflective sheeting on the letters, although the public perception was that it was due to the Clearview.

There's a project coming up near exit 55 that's a major rehabilitation/reconstruction that will include sign replacements.  I think it's Lackawanna-Exit 53, but don't quote me on that.

It's already underway, lots of heavy equipment, cranes, temporary jersey barriers and pavement up. New guardrails on EB I-90 as well.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Buffaboy

This is an interesting article about the 2 mile stretch of Thruway running through Cattaraugus Reservation

http://buffalonews.com/2018/04/17/seneca-nation-businessman-mum-on-mysterious-construction-project-along-state-thruway/
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

kalvado

seicer

I just love how the pavement just sort of... becomes a rutted, pothole, cracked nightmare for those miles in the reservation.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: seicer on April 17, 2018, 10:55:16 AM
I just love how the pavement just sort of... becomes a rutted, pothole, cracked nightmare for those miles in the reservation.
LOL. That stretch.  It's becoming one with the scenery.

Buffaboy

I read that NYSTA wants to renovate all rest areas in the system. Does anyone have more info?

Rothman

Maybe they'll bring back the stainless steel HoJos.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: seicer on April 17, 2018, 10:55:16 AM

Basically any road in Michigan makes that stretch seem like a picnic...

02 Park Ave

I hope that any rest area restoration includes improving the lighting lntensity for the ground level parking at Slothsburg.  It is so dark down there that it borders on dangerous.

Spelling correction made.
C-o-H

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

webny99

I drove the thruway yesterday between I-290 and I-390. Every time I drive it, I'm more convinced it needs to be six-laned, as cruise-setting becomes less and less possible. :banghead:

Six lanes from NY 75 in Hamburg right through to NY 365 in Verona would be a dream come true.

Roadwarriors79

Buffaboy

Quote from: webny99 on June 11, 2018, 05:57:24 PM
I drove the thruway yesterday between I-290 and I-390. Every time I drive it, I'm more convinced it needs to be six-laned, as cruise-setting becomes less and less possible. :banghead:

Six lanes from NY 75 in Hamburg right through to NY 365 in Verona would be a dream come true.

I've said the same thing to myself. I feel like 10 years ago this wouldn't have been the case, but it just feels too congested these days.

3 lanes from Abbott Road to I-290 is not enough either.

cu2010

Quote from: Buffaboy on June 12, 2018, 08:35:08 PM

I've said the same thing to myself. I feel like 10 years ago this wouldn't have been the case, but it just feels too congested these days.

Thirded, especially on the Hamburg-to-Verona argument. That entire stretch can be miserable at times, especially when the right lane moves at 62mph and the left moves at 82.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

seicer

I guess I'm used to having adaptive cruise control, so it makes driving a lot more pleasant on the congested areas of the Thruway, but I've seen my speeds drop to a more constant 60-65 MPH during the day on many upstate segments. I can keep a good 70-75 MPH cruise south of Albany.

empirestate

Quote from: cu2010 on June 14, 2018, 08:00:41 PM

Thirded, especially on the Hamburg-to-Verona argument. That entire stretch can be miserable at times, especially when the right lane moves at 62mph and the left moves at 82.

Yes; it would be much better to add a third lane, so that we can have the middle lane at 62, the left lane at 82, and the right lane at 102. :bigass:

webny99

Quote from: cu2010 on June 14, 2018, 08:00:41 PM
I've said the same thing to myself.
Thirded, especially on the Hamburg-to-Verona argument.

Yeah, I figured based on AADT and experience that those are the most logical endpoints. AADT drops below 25,000 beyond Utica, making a widening not really warranted between there and Albany.
West of Hamburg, traffic flows really well most of the time; I can't speak for south of Albany.

QuoteThat entire stretch can be miserable at times, especially when the right lane moves at 62mph and the left moves at 82.

And then someone going 63 mph wants to pass. So then everybody starts lining up behind them in the passing lane, leaving large gaps on the right. Then road rage ensues as people start weaving and cutting in. Yet nobody really makes any headway until the guy two miles down the road finishes his pass; it's like being stuck inside a moving labyrinth.

Oftentimes, this occurs with two trucks, so you can bet on a marginal speed differential and, from both parties, an unpreparedness to change speed.

Quote from: empirestateYes; it would be much better to add a third lane, so that we can have the middle lane at 62, the left lane at 82, and the right lane at 102. :bigass:

In rural areas, and especially with ten or more miles between exits, trucks would still default to the far right lane. I'd like to think most passenger car drivers would have the sanity to do the same. Basically, traffic would flow similar to how it does now, but during peak travel periods or when trucks are passing, a third lane would be available, vastly improving flow.

webny99

Quote from: seicer on June 14, 2018, 10:38:53 PM
I've seen my speeds drop to a more constant 60-65 MPH during the day on many upstate segments. I can keep a good 70-75 MPH cruise south of Albany.

I'd venture that this has less to do with traffic volumes (which are similar), and more to do with adherence to keeping right.

To add to that, traffic tends to move faster in general closer to the east coast. Up here, we have a lot of arrogant pickup drivers (Ram, Silverado, F-150) who pick their cruising speed and refuse to budge from the left lane. You don't get as much of that downstate, and it helps traffic flow when passenger cars can use the left lane for its intended purpose.

froggie

Quote from: webny99who pick their cruising speed and refuse to budge from the left lane. You don't get as much of that downstate,

In my experience, it's even more prevalent downstate...

webny99

Quote from: froggie
Quote from: webny99who pick their cruising speed and refuse to budge from the left lane. You don't get as much of that downstate,
In my experience, it's even more prevalent downstate...

Yeah, but you cut out the qualifier about the specific trucks. You are probably correct that passenger cars do less left-lane camping upstate.

I have no hard evidence, of course, but I suspect when this happens downstate, it happens at higher speeds on average; maybe closer to 75 or 80 mph, which is a lot less obtuse than 65 mph.

froggie

^ I left the "qualifier" out because it doesn't matter...pickups are no better or worse than passenger vehicles or SUVs in this.  The only ones who are halfways decent about lane discipline south of Albany are the big rig truckers.

02 Park Ave

Straight trucks seem to be the worst.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.