News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York State Thruway

Started by Zeffy, September 22, 2014, 12:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeCL

I think it's so stupid for them to change half the signs from the tappen see to the new MCMB half the signs I see going home still have the old name.. also I think same for the battery tunnel (yeah I know different area) but it's like I don't get it.

MikeCL

Also the New Rochelle tool booth seems to become cashless soon? Looks like they have the gantry going up just after the toll plaza? I assume that's what's going on.

pugnamedmax

According to the Authority's website, there are no such plans to make the New England Thruway cashless as far as I am aware.

vdeane

Yes, it's going cashless.  The Thruway plans to end cash toll collection outside of the ticket system by the end of the year, and everything by the end of 2020.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Got in on some of the Bill's traffic on the Thruway this evening. It was incredibly busy, but moving pretty well overall. Traffic generally moving about 70 mph in the left lane and 60 mph (with some 90 mph passing on the right, as usual) in the right lane. The exception was around the entrances, where a lot of braking and a slowdown to about 45 - 50 mph for both lanes was to be expected for a few miles.

Buffalo-bound traffic early this morning was even better; heavy, but moving right along. We were doing 80 in the right lane and getting passed like we were standing still. In fact, though I didn't count, I'd reckon more cars passed us than the other way around. Tempting to join the pack, but I hesitate to do so, knowing cops are looking for those doing better than 80. Speeding up to between 80 and 85 is something I will do, but only in daylight, and not with the cruise set. 78 or so is my max  cruising speed, because any higher just isn't sustainable (you have to keep braking and resetting), not to mention the risk of a speeding ticket.

Quote from: vdeane on December 09, 2018, 08:40:36 PM
Yes, it's going cashless.  The Thruway plans to end cash toll collection outside of the ticket system by the end of the year, and everything by the end of 2020.

I can't wait. It will be bliss to roll right into Buffalo without having to slow down for that pesky Williamsville Toll Barrier. Already enjoying Grand Island.  :nod:

Buffaboy

Quote from: webny99 on December 09, 2018, 08:45:14 PM
Got in on some of the Bill's traffic on the Thruway this evening. It was incredibly busy, but moving pretty well overall. Traffic generally moving about 70 mph in the left lane and 60 mph (with some 90 mph passing on the right, as usual) in the right lane. The exception was around the entrances, where a lot of braking and a slowdown to about 45 - 50 mph for both lanes was to be expected for a few miles.

Buffalo-bound traffic early this morning was even better; heavy, but moving right along. We were doing 80 in the right lane and getting passed like we were standing still. In fact, though I didn't count, I'd reckon more cars passed us than the other way around. Tempting to join the pack, but I hesitate to do so, knowing cops are looking for those doing better than 80. Speeding up to between 80 and 85 is something I will do, but only in daylight, and not with the cruise set. 78 or so is my max  cruising speed, because any higher just isn't sustainable (you have to keep braking and resetting), not to mention the risk of a speeding ticket.

I can't wait. It will be bliss to roll right into Buffalo without having to slow down for that pesky Williamsville Toll Barrier. Already enjoying Grand Island.  :nod:

Yeah I was on the GI bridges earlier today doing 70 mph...felt great.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

RobbieL2415

So that would be around 600mi of continuous movenent on I-90.  From Boston to just outside Cleveland.

PHLBOS

Yes, it's going cashless.  The Thruway plans to end cash toll collection outside of the ticket system by the end of the year,
If by end of the year, you're referring to 2018; at the time of this post, there's only 21 days left.  How far along is the Thruway Authority on that AET conversion?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 10, 2018, 10:04:13 AM
Yes, it's going cashless.  The Thruway plans to end cash toll collection outside of the ticket system by the end of the year,
If by end of the year, you're referring to 2018; at the time of this post, there's only 21 days left.  How far along is the Thruway Authority on that AET conversion?
I'm referring to whatever NYSTA was referring to on Facebook, which I didn't ask for clarification on.  As mentioned earlier, the gantries are going up for New Rochelle, so I could see them being operational in that time.  Spring Valley is already an ORT setup, so it shouldn't be too hard to convert.  Yonkers, the Tappan Zee Bridge, Harriman, and the Grand Island Bridges are already cashless.  Every other barrier on the system is part of either the mainline or Erie ticket systems.  I presume that the goal of being cashless refers to the ending of cash toll collection, and not to the actual demolition of the barrier.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SteveG1988

So in the near future we won't have to go back for a shit load of dimes when riding with our possee?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Given contract let dates, it's possibly that NYSTA will have most of the AET infrastructure for the ticket system up by the end of 2019. Minor interchanges are just getting AET equipment installed in the current booths for now. Most system interchanges will see their barriers removed. It will operate as a virtual ticket system (unlike MA, which has gone to a barrier system with AET). Plans have NOT been released for the system interchanges (minus B1, which is keeping its booths) or mainline conversions, nor do we have any specific details for the Buffalo or Syracuse Divisions. Exit 22 was already retrofitted in-house and is (supposedly) ready to go once the change happens.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 10, 2018, 07:14:41 PM
So in the near future we won't have to go back for a shit load of dimes when riding with our possee?

No, just a shitload of EZ Passes.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

RobbieL2415

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2018, 02:02:39 PM
Given contract let dates, it's possibly that NYSTA will have most of the AET infrastructure for the ticket system up by the end of 2019. Minor interchanges are just getting AET equipment installed in the current booths for now. Most system interchanges will see their barriers removed. It will operate as a virtual ticket system (unlike MA, which has gone to a barrier system with AET). Plans have NOT been released for the system interchanges (minus B1, which is keeping its booths) or mainline conversions, nor do we have any specific details for the Buffalo or Syracuse Divisions. Exit 22 was already retrofitted in-house and is (supposedly) ready to go once the change happens.
Maybe the booths for B1 will be turned into an ICE checkpoint.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 11, 2018, 03:36:23 PM

Don't give them ideas.

SteveG1988

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 11, 2018, 09:02:27 PM

Don't give them ideas.

Suddenly the Bush turnpike has toll booths again.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

RobbieL2415

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 11, 2018, 10:10:55 PM

Don't give them ideas.

ICE checkpoints have existed since at least the 1970s.

cl94

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on December 11, 2018, 10:21:16 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 11, 2018, 10:10:55 PM

Don't give them ideas.

ICE checkpoints have existed since at least the 1970s.

I think B1 is just outside the area they can set up checkpoints. But don't give them any ideas. Please. We have enough checkpoints up here.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

froggie

^ Well outside the zone.  100 miles is their legal limitation, so no further south than Whitehall.

cl94

But they also get 100 miles from the coast. Exit B1 is 93 miles from Long Island Sound. Again, don't give CBP any ideas.

Buffaboy

You're telling me the Williamsville and Lackawanna toll booths may be gone in less than a year?

That's fast if true.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

froggie

Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2018, 10:49:40 PM
But they also get 100 miles from the coast. Exit B1 is 93 miles from Long Island Sound. Again, don't give CBP any ideas.

Only if you use New Haven Harbor as your "coast".  Which from a nautical perspective, is not the outer shoreline since Long Island Sound is well within US territory.

That said, I'm not sure how Homeland Security is defining the "coast" for these purposes.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2018, 08:00:05 AM
Quote from: cl94 on December 11, 2018, 10:49:40 PM

Only if you use New Haven Harbor as your "coast".  Which from a nautical perspective, is not the outer shoreline since Long Island Sound is well within US territory.

That said, I'm not sure how Homeland Security is defining the "coast" for these purposes.

Which is how the feds define it. The Great Lakes coastlines and Chesapeake Bay also count as "coast" for their purposes, but the Hudson River north of Battery Park does not (for example).

froggie

^ Do you have a source I could pull up for that?

cl94

ESRI and CityLab generated a map superimposing the border zone over the country. I CANNOT find a definitive government source. That being said, every news source I can find considers Chesapeake Bay, Long Island Sound, Puget Sound, and all 5 of the Great Lakes to have an "international border" at their shoreline, including NPR, the NY Times, the Washington Post, and the big 3 broadcast networks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.